Kidney Belts, Anyone Wear One ?

trialswarrior

That was almost funny, I knew I used to were one. I have not wore one since my desert racing days. I rode trials before my go fast days so I never considered wearing one. I would try both ways. Actually I need a girdle or it would now take at least two belts!

Any how to correctly ride trials takes alot of body input. (the new bikes make it so easy most new riders never learn proper body english) If you watch a rider with a proper stance they seem to over exagerate every movement. But also notice they rarely need to dab. Trials takes alot of range of motion that cannot be done with all the gear our go fast friends use!

Edited by lineaway

That was almost funny, I knew I used to were one. I have not wore one since my desert racing days. I rode trials before my go fast days so I never considered wearing one. I would try both ways. Actually I need a girdle or it would now take at least two belts!

Any how to correctly ride trials takes alot of body input. (the new bikes make it so easy most new riders never learn proper body english) If you watch a rider with a proper stance they seem to over exagerate every movement. But also notice they rarely need to dab. Trials takes alot of range of motion that cannot be done with all the gear our go fast friends use!

I do ,(full gear) doesn't seem to make much difference to me.

A kidney belt for trials, I would think its an overkill even for a crash test monkey like myself!

I always thought they were to stop ya kidneys rattling about on hardpack mx circuits, but have to be worn so tight you struggle to take a full breath...unless I read my instructions wrong?

Edited by iconic558

I wore one when riding enduros and desert racing , and always used to use one on my 3wheeler at Glamis ...

But I've never felt the need for that much support riding riding trials ..., but I am getting a little older !

Glenn

I used to wear one in enduro riding but I burst two discs in my lower back and those days are over!

I now ride trial and do not wear them as it is restrictive. The chap who sorts my aches and pains in my back advises strongly not to use any form of support (girdles, kidney belts & corsets). The reason for this is that it prevents your muscles providing the support and exacerabtes the weakness.

It's far better to ride more gently for a bit and develop the strength in your core muscles to support your body. The kidney belts main role is to stop your internal organs flapping about at speed and high impacts. Your don't really get these in trials.

I used to wear one riding snowmobiles but snowmobile trails are miles and miles of whoops and long ago sleds had bad rear suspension

I don't see the need for trials and there's no doubt it makes it harder to breath, would make for a tiring day

But then again, maybe there are some belly's that need it, injury, surgery, hernia etc

• 1 year later...

I use a moulded kidney belt I was fitted for by a physio in Australia. Never ride my trials bike without it as I have a. Lower back problem. I feel it is really supportive but doesn't restrict me on the bike

I do the same,

if you have back problems(as most over 50's have)it is very good.