Shifting Problem (5 Down To 4) On Gg 2010 Txt 250

sina

The problem I have with my bike, is only shifting down from gear 5 to 4. When I shift from 5 to 4, it gets stuck in between, and no amount of play, makes it fall in place.

I know shifting from 5 to 4 is tricky (be at the right speed, and give it a light touch), but mine is extremely difficult, what could be the problem?

Sina Edalat,

Gas Gas rider from Tehran, Iran

Edited by sina

Assuming all setup correctly (you can adjust the gears a little, there is a video somewhere) id suspect a Worn dog ring or faulty shift fork if it's doing it from 5th to 4th and not 4th to 5th. Possibly wear on the shift drum also.

Not particularly difficult to fix but it's an engine out job, head off etc to give it a thorough inspection.

I think 4th to 5th and 5th to 4th shifting problems are an early indicator of a needle roller bearing on a gearbox shaft beginning to fail. Better sorted sooner than later before it damages anything else.

Cheers

are the parts I need for fixing it, specific to Gas Gas? cause I live in Iran and have access to very limited parts. Also my local mechanic is an expert who works on moto cross, but has never touched a trials bike, will he be able to figure it out and fix it???

Your mechanic will find the motor very easy to work on, and there are many procedural tips and adjustments in the video that are invaluable. Unfortunately, the parts are VERY specific to Gas Gas.

Unforunatyely for me, you tube is one of the many sites, tha's blocked here. I really rather not touch it, and just ride despite the difficulty of shifting, but I just need to know if it will lead to another more serious problem? and since there are no parts here, I don't want to have it opend, and not be able to get fix, and possibly have it worse than before...

Dad of 2 has got it correctly diagnosed. After just seeing the same thing happen to a 2010. You need to have the tranmission inspected now before you actually start beaking gears and need a total replacement. Yes it will just destroy it self if you choose to ignore it. Out of curiosty is this the Econo model?

on top of the shifting down problem, now I realized the coolant is mixing with the oil. I wish I had never bought a damn Gas Gas, it's too fragile (only looks nice), I would have been much better of with a Honda Montesa or something. did I mention I only had 5 trials on my new Gas Gas?

Edited by sina