Ossa Bikes From The Past

atomant

The 303 came after the Gripper and Ossa were dead and buried by then. Few were sold and the remaining job lot were supposed to have been sold off by the factory (or what was left of it) to another country but can't remember where.

Essentially a re-styled Gripper but with steeper steering and the front frame tubes reverted to welded on, not the Gripper style bolt on.

Never imported to the UK. There are a handful to be seen riding in Spanish classic events.

Never ridden one, I'd think very similar to the Gripper but I'd imagine they were more exciting on steep drop-offs with that steering angle and the high footrests

• Like 2

This OSSA Mar 350 looks the dogs danglies :)

Generally my favourite too. Wanted one when I was 16. Bunny Ward had a new one in and he was going to ride it in the '76 Scottish, then it would be for sale. I had a 2 year old 250 at the time and so much wanted the 310. Odd job and pocket money were never going to do it though - Still didn't stop me going straight to the shop after the Scottish to look at it - but it was sold. Nearly cried.

Following Saturday, off out on the 250 and over to the local quarry to see if Arthur Browning had made some new sections I could try (Arthur, Bonkey and Steve Wilson used to practise there and we'd try their sections after they'd gone) I was down in one of the holes practising pivot turns off the sides and I heard another Ossa up top. Rode back up and got a real kick in the nuts. There was Bunny's 310 Ossa with one of the other local lads on it. Gutted.

It took me until 1990 to finally get hold of one as they're quite rare and in the following 22 years it has had an absolute hammering and 3 rebuilds. It's now waiting for a 4th...

Just one of those bikes I'll never sell.

Edited by woody
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Generally my favourite too. Wanted one when I was 16. Bunny Ward had a new one in and he was going to ride it in the '76 Scottish, then it would be for sale. I had a 2 year old 250 at the time and so much wanted the 310. Odd job and pocket money were never going to do it though - Still didn't stop me going straight to the shop after the Scottish to look at it - but it was sold. Nearly cried.

Following Saturday, off out on the 250 and over to the local quarry to see if Arthur Browning had made some new sections I could try (Arthur, Bonkey and Steve Wilson used to practise there and we'd try their sections after they'd gone) I was down in one of the holes practising pivot turns off the sides and I heard another Ossa up top. Rode back up and got a real kick in the nuts. There was Bunny's 310 Ossa with one of the other local lads on it. Gutted.

It took me until 1990 to finally get hold of one as they're quite rare and in the following 22 years it has had an absolute hammering and 3 rebuilds. It's now waiting for a 4th...

Just one of those bikes I'll never sell.

My first view of one was in the late 70's in Whitehill Hampshire where I lived when my neighbour and his brother ( Dave Hunt & Rob Hunt) who both had them, rode them in the trial at Slab Common near Bordon. It was about the time just before Dave Clinkard was on the up if I remember correctly. Then Daves son Gary Hunt started riding and was doing well but he had Fantics. I had an Armstrong 320 as my first proper bike ( after a BSA Bantam ) but trashed it in a water section when it sucked in water and bent the crank. Couldn't afford to repair it :( -- Those were the days :)

The club was the Alton & District MCC

Edited by atomant

Ham 2 Quinns planned to import the 303 but it never happened. It looks good in the pics but it still wasnt here by 1984. If you had the choice of a mono yam, Beta Tr32 or a 303 Ossa you wouldn't buy the Ossa. Great looking bike just 3/4 years too late.