Re: Grey Coolant

deonattard

Anyone else had their coolant turn to a grey colour?

Doesn't appear to have oil in it, and there is no water in the engine oil - its just gone grey and looks horrible.

I don't know if its just broken down or if the stuff in the bike has been eating the alloy?

We've flushed it out and put fresh (good quality) coolant in there today and I will change it again in a week to be sure all the bad stuff is flushed out.

I've emailed a photo of the coolant to the importer. Also anyone know at what point in the delivery chain would the coolant be added to the bike?

The coolant that is used at the factory is produced by Global Racing Oil, 50% organic.

Freezing point -36ºC

Density 1,105 g/cm3 at 20ºC

Boiling point in closed space: 220ºC

It complies with these requirements:

Mercedes Benz, SEAT/VW TL 774D/G12, Opel/GM QL 130100, MAN 324, RVI/Renault tipo D, PSA B71 5110, Ford WSS-M97B44-C, MACK, CUMMINS 85T8-2, VW TL 774B/G12, BMW N 600 69.0.

cheers

Edited by borus

Here is a photo of the coolant - its a pretty yucky grey colour. The bike is approximately 5 months old and this is the origional coolant that came inside the bike.

I'd like to know if its just broken down, or if its full of alloy or if it has oil in it? The gearbox oil is definitely clean and free of oil and the coolant doesn't appear to have an oil slick in it.

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/uploads/gallery_16451_66_177426.jpg

The coolant that is used at the factory is produced by Global Racing Oil, 50% organic.

Freezing point -36ºC

Density 1,105 g/cm3 at 20ºC

Boiling point in closed space: 220ºC

It complies with these requirements:

Mercedes Benz, SEAT/VW TL 774D/G12, Opel/GM QL 130100, MAN 324, RVI/Renault tipo D, PSA B71 5110, Ford WSS-M97B44-C, MACK, CUMMINS 85T8-2, VW TL 774B/G12, BMW N 600 69.0.

cheers

Thanks Borus, never heard of organic coolant before. Is it okay to top up with other makes of coolant?

Ok update today - the fluid in the jar has settled and seperated. I now have clear fluid with a slight green/yellow colour to it.

The grey sludge has settled to the BOTTOM. It doesn't appear to have any chunks in it, its like an oily sludge.

The fact that its settled to the bottom suggests to me its not oil - wouldn't the oil be floating on the top?

So what is it? I'm guessing alloy?

If it were oil + water, the oil should be floating on top. In my case the "oily looking sludge" has settled to the bottom. Suggesting to me whatever it is, its heavier than water.

My guess is that its alloy possibly from the water pump housing. I am waiting on response from Ossa via the importer. I'll try to post another photo of the "settled" water.

I'm fairly keen to pull the water pump off to take a look but I have a trial this weekend and I don't have a spare gasket or seal on hand so won't touch it for the time being.

I've only ridden the bike for 5 minutes since changing the water and so far it has remained clean but I will be watching it closely.

Okeedokee ,HAM2 logic time:

What is the density of the coolant/water mixture versus the density of the transmission oil used?

That'll tell you what floats or sinks..maybe?

Wayne

Regardless of whether there is anything wrong with that coolant or not I would have to change it out of principle.......I could not possibly have anything with such a bland colour be a part of my dream machine!

Just knowing that was in my bike would likely cost me a five.

:chairfall:

Hey Deon, on a more serious note, I just checked my coolant and it is still a bright green throughout, no hint of grey or sludge.

We just changed Dad's - his bike only has less than 10 hours on it - it looked bright green and all good from the filler cap, but we changed it yesterday since mine had turned so horrible.

After it settled, same black sludge in the bottom of the jar. I strongly recommend everyone changes their fluid immediately and I wouldn't follow Ossa's recommendation on the fluid. Buy some good quality stuff suitable for alloy engines and don't dilute it anymore than recommended by the fluid manufacturer.

If you capture what comes out into a container then transfer it to a glass jar I think you might get a bit of a shock.