Who Will Be The Yamaha 2013 Replacement For Ben Spies?

rockyrider

There has been much speculation this week over who will be the replacement for Ben Spies on the factory Yamaha team. I have my own thoughts of why he is leaving the team to begin with, however, should Dovi be given the chance he has been working towards with no less than 4 podiums this year? or, Is Yamaha trying to lure Valentino back as 9 time world champion to make a competetive bid along side Jorge Lorenzo for the World Championship?

They don't need him with Lorenzo there in terms of winning next year. With Stoner gone, Lorenzo has a trouble free run to the title next year. The odd win for Pedrosa maybe but overall Lorenzo will be too strong, provided he is injury free and Yamaha don't make a cock's hat of next year's bike - unlikely.

The only reason to have him back is to milk the marketing potential and take whatever sponsorship money he brings. They have been doing fine without that though and leaks coming from various sources suggest they have agreed to take him back but on their term - way reduced salary, no. 2 in the team and without Burgess and Co.

He's also stated himself that a 'disadvantage' of going back to Yamaha is having to be no. 2 against Lorenzo on equal machinery - he doesn't like strong team mates on equal machinery, especially as this time, that team mate is clear no. 1. He has reiterated again how p****d off he was at Yamaha, after 'all he'd done for them' that they took such a strong rider as Lorenzo into the team against his wishes. Seems the Ducati has battered his confidence but the ego is still intact.

He's put himself into a real dark place by having his tantrum with Yamaha back in 2010. If he returns it will be as no. 2, on Yamaha's terms and with the proverbial tail between his legs. Results against Lorenzo aren't impossible but definitely not guaranteed. Can't see him taking the title against Lorenzo

If he stays at Ducati, he has to hope that they can give him something that suits his style, which looks pretty set and not flexible enough to ride anything any different. Unless they hit 2013 pre-season tests with a Yamaha clone, it will be another long barren season.

Either way, hard times ahead.

Dovi or Crutchlow both deserve to step up to the factory team going on their results this year.

Hopefully Yamaha has a long enough memory to remember how badly Rossi dumped on them & how disruptive he was to team harmony

The talk of Rossi going back to Yamaha is probably more about getting Ducati to up their offer, the boss of Ducati was at Laguna Seca waving a bigger pile of cash in his face so it seems to be working

I'd like to think Nicky Hayden got a decent rise as Rossi hasn't exactly shown him up has he! Maybe if Rossi thinks he's still got what it takes,and i'm not sure he has,he should put his money where his mouth is and offer to ride the Yamaha for nothing like Senna told Williams in '93(ish).One other thing...are the Italian fans still more into Rossi than Ducati? or would they treat him how they treated Ago when he left MV for Yamaha ( before he started winning on it regularly ).

Rossi was offered €17 million at the weekend to resign with Ducati, I like Rossi, he is a great rider, but Hayden deserves to be the No.1 rider, he's fast, works hard and if the bike was how he liked it, could be winning. I can't imagine Rossi would want to be No.2 at Yamaha, Jorge will beat him, as he wont be able to play mind games with him. He should go to BSB and have fun for the last few years of his career, no TC etc etc. he'd have a ball and win everything, no bull#+$¥, just great racing. Or, WSBK, then he could kick Max's butt again :0).

One thing is for sure, he doesn't need the cash, looking at how well Bradl is going, he could buy into his team and get a sat Honda , he'd be quicker on that than the Ducati.

I'm with you on the Hayden thing and although i'm not Rossi's biggest fan you'd have to say he'd be faster on just about anything other than the Ducati.If the rumours Woody spoke about are true i'm really not sure how competitive he'd be without JB's input tho.

If Rossi stays with Ducati, I think it would only be for the Italian glory and the twighlight years he's facing. The crowd still loves him, and the cash don't hurt. He has a choice of being second on the Yamaha team, or being First on the Ducati team with 25 mil in his pocket. What would you do?

I heard Coca Cola are looking to personally sponsor Rossi. They were going to front the cash when he was going to lease a Yamaha some months ago but the rule changes meant is was a no go.

I think Rossi would just be glad to get the odd win again or at least be in the fight. He has nothing left to prove but wants some fun. Stoners outrageously tough riding style and talent is the only reason the Ducati won. Stoners style is unique and i am doubtful that even Cal could make the Desmo do what Stoner did. Stoner continues to be the only rider to use the inside kerb to open up corner so he can straight line it on max power. He is at full whack sometimes when other are faffing around trying to open the throttle on the dge of the tyre.

If you are not worried about being on the edge of the tyre it is one problem you don't have to solve using Stoners method which is why Stoner did well on the Desmo compared to anyone else. Stoner also suffered many front end crashes when he had to push the front like everyone else.

Edited by pindie

No real surprise there, wonder if his crew is welcome to follow him?

I heard the Yamaha deal was for 10million euro & Ducati had offered 40million, big difference in pay but guess as number 2 rider on the best bike you don't get to demand as much

Edited by tony27