Elstar Bsa

mattylad

• 3 weeks later...

Big John's right - it is in 'Classic British Two Stroke Trials Bikes'

There are several pics of various Bantams in the BSA section and Im quite sure there is a brief, separate section on Elstar.

Elstar was run by Alf Ellis in Birmingham (Smethwick?) and made his name building speedway and grasstrack frames. There was a Cub engined version campaigned by Steve Wilson in the Midland centre and the Nationals. Just as the trials frame was taking off, Alf was killed in a car crash and that was the end of the whole project.

Bantam spares are plentiful at the moment and there is a good frame available from the Right Honorable Alan Wright Esq. at Trico Products on 0121-705-0204 - tell him I sent you! Rex Caunt makes an ignition and alloy barrel (01455 846963)

As for Don Morley's book, there is a major saga behind it and it will never be reprinted unless someone like Sammy Miller does what he did with the four stroke version. I saw a clean, second-hand copy on a book stall at the Classic Bike Guide show at Stoneleigh, just before Christmas. The price? oh, a modest 45 pounds. Not bad for a book which had a cover price of around 12 pounds when published in 1983. I was going to buy it until I was struck with the thought that it would sever all relations with my 'sponsor' - she would have absolutely killed me!!!!!!!!!

Sorry to butt in. I have been searching for info on the Elstar BSA for quite some time and the search engine pointed here.

I have an Elstar frame in the process of being restored and I would appreciate any info. The frame has the serial No. BP 0001 70 and I would like to know what engine was originally fitted. Some say it was a BSA C15, but I found a picture last year of an Elstar with a C11 fitted. Your views would be appreciated...tnx

Thanks big John. Any info on the Elstar will always be appreciated. I was always under the impression that C15 was the principle engine fitted, but I would like to hear from anyone who has/had one of these machines or who had a different engine setup.

I particularily would like some info about the front forks. The bar across the top of the forks that supports the rubber straps is missing from my restoration and I could engineer a new one if I knew what shape it was.

Many thanks for your interest and reply

blootette

Been off a while so only just seen the discussion.

As far as I was aware the Elstar used Ceriani forks for the trials model.

Rubber bands are used in grass track and speedway. Contact me off list an I will arrange for a scan of a photo of a grass bike.

regards,

Matt.

• 12 years later...

Hi Guy's.

Bob and I are looking for the whereabouts of any information regarding ELstar Trials bikes of the sixties.

Bob has one to restore and I have a ELstar page on my site that I would like to update with as much History on the breed that I can lay my hands on.

What we do know that there is only a very few still about, well Bob has one and that is it.

We know Steve Wilson rode one at the time before he built his own trials frames,and later became more famous for building some of the very first in this country BMX frames.

And our friend "Classic Rider 444" rode one of the first.

Is Steve still with us? I know he is said to have moved to Cornwall?

Well Guy's any information would be better than nothing, Bob wants to rebuild his bike like it was in the first place, and I need more history for you guys to use when I am gone!

So it is down to you.

Regards ~Oo>