Should Trials Be An Olympic Sport?

billyt

No.

It's a form of Motorsport.

Trialing is a sport which requires great skill, technique, practice and a high level of fitness...

...but then again so does formula 1 racing - but that's not an Olympic sport.

Plus the fact that the majority of Olympic sports are accessible to practicly anybody weather you are rich or poor. Trial bikes arnt cheap, you'd need at least two of the same machine to compete with at an Olympic level, plus other expenses like the logistics of ferrying a couple of motorbikes, fuel, oils etc etc.

This would sort of narrow down the competition to only those that could afford to do it - in my view that's not what the Olympics are about.

Edited by tankygsy

"This would sort of narrow down the competition to only those that could afford to do it - in my view that's not what the Olympics are about."

In a way I agree with you but I'm sure it would be as nothing compared with the cost of being competitive in athletics etc. By chance someone at work was telling us the other day about the regime a friend's relative has for Scottish swimming. It involves the whole family in huge sacrifice with several car trips each day to/from the pool/school, swimming 7 days a week, travel to events etc etc ad infinitum. Makes a fleet of trials bikes look cheap. Basically "those who can afford it", or have somebody/some organisation afford it for them have the edge no matter what sport you are talking about at that level.

And, the boats these guys row don't come off the local park pond, I'm sure the expenditure of tens of thousands on a craft assists more than a little in a winning performance.

I recall that the consideration of trials as an Olympic sport got quite far down the line about thirty years ago. The main protagonist was an Olympic equestrian medal winner whose name may have been Fox. I'm sure there are several on here who can elaborate on this.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

Some fair comments there although not too sure about the comparison between driving to a swimming pool 7 days a week - with all the family that need not attend. If a trials rider was training for the Olympics they would probably also be devoting 7 days a week, plus fuel, plus parts, plus bike insurance, taxes etc etc.

I dont mean to bleat on and on but Rowing boats generally have a team of rowers so if they are unable to loan a boat from the club they are in they can spread the cost between the team. As for pushbikes I agree they can also cost many thousands of pounds to purchase, but that is because of the exotic materials they are constructed from to make them strong and light - so light you could strip one down, put it in a large kit bag and practicaly carry it on a plane. Of course im Just guessing here, what do i know about Rowing or cycling?!?!

Not to mention tools, fuel and kit that's quite a bit of gear to get overseas for the average individual. I just can't see it happening without some logistical support.

Any motorsport in general would be far too technical / complicated to be considered an Olympic sport.

Can anyone give me some reasons why it should be an Olympic sport?

I did'nt realise how technical sailing was until i watched it for the first time ever this afternoon, all sorts of mind games,risks and diffrent ways of slowing the guy down behind by giving them dirty air.