Sherco 2.9 2003 - Can't Find 5Th Gear

hovet

Hello,

I bought a Sherco 290 2003 model, and the main problem was that the 5th gear doesn't work.

It's not that big of a deal because I rarely use it, but I am planning on selling it now and it's not very attractive for the buyers.

I had the engine in pieces recently to replace the crankshaft bearings. As I opened the engine I checked for missing parts etc, but I couldn't see anything (?), everything matched the drawings for the engine.

As I watch the drum star pattern on the clutch side, when I enter 5th gear it goes in place in the star pattern. But the engine just frees. It's like the clutch releases.

There are no bad sounds from the transmission, it just frees when i enter 5th gear.

Has anyone experienced this before?

I doubt its a bent stift fork as it actually switches to 5th gear, the drum goes in place but it just flips to neutral mode. The problem occured egen the last owner teater the engine apart and reassembled it.

I seem to recall a similar incident a long time back where either someone had reverses some shim washers or inverted a gear in the shaft because it had fallen off during disassembly. I looked at the parts diagram today, yet is difficult for me to tell without having one in front of me. Possibly the large gear behind the clutch basket on the main shaft. Anyway, if this gear is slightly offset, it will not work in reverse order as the sliding cog will not properly engage it.

Hope that helps, now go strip it again!!!!

• 5 years later...

Know this is an old post but did you find what was wrong with it? I have the same problem, replaced main bearing on rebuild I made sure the engine selected all the gears before I went any further to which it did. Now after I have fully rebuilt it I noticed it's not selecting 5th but it's like it goes into like a neutral, does make a slight noise like something metal to metal is rubbing but not catching correctly.

Edited by typerossy

On 25.10.2017 at 5:52 PM, typerossy said:

Know this is an old post but did you find what was wrong with it? I have the same problem, replaced main bearing on rebuild I made sure the engine selected all the gears before I went any further to which it did. Now after I have fully rebuilt it I noticed it's not selecting 5th but it's like it goes into like a neutral, does make a slight noise like something metal to metal is rubbing but not catching correctly.

Hey, a gear was inverted in the gearbox, obviously i assume 5 th gear. Was a bit difficult for me to see so took me a while to figure