Right Side Brake Pedal

motovintage

I am looking at ideas to convert my 159 chassy to right side brake, does someone make a kit? I do have a left side shifter, I have studied the 199b set up and figure I could manufacture something that would work, I am handy with a welder and have been working on different designs, I would like to see pics of what others have done to slove this problem before commiting to welding something to my bike

Edited by motovintage

What about this solution (here witha a other manufacturer rear wheel and right-hand gear -m 92 engine has only this possibility- and brake lever)?

required is a little work with the wheel-spacers and the welding of a brake plate anchorage

cheers

aens0o.jpg

Edited by zisko62

I thought abought different hub and have a nice light weight yz 125 wheel, not what I want, I have fitted the bul with a trick set of grimeca hubs, and am going to stick with that. I also considered a.crossover bar and have a set up with pedal off a mid '70's Montesa, I think It's too much stuff to add to the weight of.the bike. It would probably be the easiest to install. I think I want to stay with a cable, trying to work out mounts, leverage ratios, and the brake pedal itself.

I have done this too my 159 just by welding some brackets as woody mentioned above,

i have since changed back as i race classic motorcross and i was too used to the right side.

since changing back i realise how spongy the rear brake felt, the brakes worked but with the cable felt so insensitive and had no real feel.

If your set on getting the brake lever on the right side i would look at getting a different rear wheel set up

If you still will go with a cable make sure to take one wihich as around twice the diameter of the standard cables you have for clutch or front brake.

with a larger cable diameter and a larger more solid sleeve the "brake feeling" will not be so spongy.

Orlando Calonder in Switzerland, (former Bultaco general importer for Europe (mainland), still in business), produces extra thick cables expecially for Bultaco.

The quality of the cable can make a difference I think, yes.

I have a Venhill cable on my 340 and I just can't get any feel to the brake at all and it is almost impossible to get it to bite hard and lock. The same wheel in my BSA with a left foot pedal and rod works perfectly.

I have a cable off a 198a which has a metal bend where it joins the swingarm and the cable itself seems sturdier, but I don't know if it is the original or a pattern. I'm sure it has less flex than the Venhill as it the brake works better with this cable, even though it is quite worn and stiff in operation. I'm fairly sure there is too much flex in the Venhill.

I've ridden a couple of Puma bikes in Spain with cable rear brake and they worked perfectly, but I've no idea what cable they were using.