Beta Exhaust

scorpa 4 dean

Hi All,

I have a Beta Rev 3 2003 and the exhaust is pretty loud and cracks a lot (sounds like a motorcross) there are no leaks from the exhaust so i think the packing is shot. Does anyone have any idea how to re-pack and what materials is needed and how hard is it to do. Be grateful of the help.

I used the flat material that BVM sell to re pack my Rev3 silencer very tightly. Sounds much better after. If you are getting pops and bangs you have a leaky gasket/joint and air is getting in.

Remove the end can from the bike and the rear fastners on the black cap. Pull like mad! Its in tight.

Pull the guts out and re wrap with the new material. Put back together.

If you really want to clean out the rest.....

Take off the whole pipe & bin all gaskets and o rings and order new ones.

Mix up a strong caustic soda mix.

Plug the end of the pipe with a spud.

Fill the pipe with caustic mix - be very careful. Goggles and gloves essential.

Leave at least overnight.

Rinse through.

Put back together with new O rings and gaskets.

Ride a sweet sounding bike again.

Edited by pindie

Hi All,

Thanks for the help, I have seen a pre-made insert for the Beta Rev 3 on splat shop for £9.95 but like everything they are out of stock. Has anyone tried one of these inserts ? Splat shop are advertising this as an origional Beta packing. I have heard quite a few rev 3,s with the same sound especially the 270 the same as mine is this a common fault and will it cause any problems with the bike like loss of power or is it all about the noise only ?

There's quite a bit on here about re-packing the exhaust and the noise of the 270. People say the 270 does have a harder edged pop to it than the others. Also, advice is not to pack the exhaust too tight. I used the Beta insert from SplatShop and it just slots straight in and at least you then know you have the right density of packing. Noise afterwards was about the same as before though.

You could try both? Lightly pack and if really loud tightly pack? Packing is pennies really and should be part of your general maintenance but often overlooked.

For what its worth mines is packed very tight but mine is a 200 not a 270. I have heard the popping bit can also be done to carb setting..... might be worth a search?