British Championship Controversy

Andy

well got to say i been to a few british championship in wales and a few times i have seen shirty going thro the section before his rider goes thro or walking thro with is rider and they minder ,

but never seen him alter a section just given his advise on witch line to take

maybe ACU should say only riders and minders to enter a section (no team management )

It would be very hard to comment on what happened if you were not there?

But what we know and what happened is that Shirty entered the section when he knew it was against the rules and got punished for it?

How much ''gardening'' went on is a secondery issue?

Its a tough decision for the coc to make but he obviously thought his decision was justified. Before this decision was made im sure he'd have spoken to as many persons as he thought necessary to confirm the version of events. He could have dealt with it in a warning but thought the 5 was proportionate. I have little doubt that what's reported happened. Its unlikely the coc got the version of events entirely wrong. I doubt the coc has any axe to grind. Shirty however has.

Was a 5 the right decision or should the observer instructed Shirty to put the rocks back. That's not realistic. A significant penalty of a 5 was, its just a huge pity it ruined Browns year.

Whilst not there it seems rathmell has decided to forget all the times he did the same when Graham was trying for a win in the BTC not that long ago, and cannot have been watching the same rounds i have been to this year and stating entries from six to 30 is a blatant lie to try to influence others views of what has not been a success in any shape or form, and the final championship decided in the jury room rather than tough trials for the British elite.

What was the aim of the btc this year, and did the no stop rules help it achieve that? Answers please.

Personally I think there should be a statement from gguk (shirty) and a statement from the club (CoC). Not a statement from spectators watching, no matter what there level of involment is (mrs) but since he has made a statement would look like a personal attack rather then a statement about what happened in that section

Is anyone surprised about this?... Really? I heard from a very well respected and long serving SSDT observer that when a certain team arrived in the section with their main man at this year's SSDT, Tommy, Charlie Dymock and Alan Titchmarsh arrived to do the landscaping while half of Tarmac PLC arrived to do the road surfacing. What's more, once El Presidente had ridden the section, the Demolition Boys arrived to dismantle the motorway and return it to how Mother Nature intended it to be... rough & natural SSDT trials terrain.

Yes, maybe everyone does a bit of the Len Goodman shimmy and shuffle as they "dance" up the section, but surely nobody is stupid enough to do it right in front of the CoC - or are they?? If you aren't meant to be in the section, don't go in it. If you do, and you aren't meant to be there, expect to draw attention to yourself (and inadvertently - your rider) and expect to suffer the consequences if caught.

Sorry, but if you meddle with the law too often, prepare to get caught eventually - no matter who you are and on whatever path of life you are treading.

• Like 2

I have not been to a trial yet, in 32 years I've been a fan, as a rider, spectator or observer, watching club, national and world champs, has there not been some form of cheating/rule bending going on, by riders, minders, observers and even spectators. From kicking logs, rocks, or just tramping and kicking the surface how the rider wants it. Going backwards, stoping, moving markers etc, etc, etc. This from the clubman rider right up to the best in the world, it happens at every trial, at every level, we, the riders get away with it 99% of the time, every now and then, we don't, the observer, observes to the rule and says no, you can't do that, very rarely does it go any further than that. But if you break the rules and get caught, you may regret it, so don't do it. Simples.

I am at awe at the skill of any rider, who rides above my level (which is just about everyone) and don't doubt the best will always win, but I think it's fair to say, the boundaries of the rules, have more than likely been stretched a bit along the way, by them all, wether intentionally, by accident or luck ;0) IMHO, it is pointless to point fingers at anyone, unless you can step forward and honestly say you are whiter than white. Trials is mostly an amature sport, run by volunteers, almost wholly participated by amature sportsmen and women.

For all its faults, (and im not trying to defend or condone them) I still love trials, enjoy riding, watching and observing, life is too short, play nicely and enjoy :0).

Whatever went on, I really feel sorry for Michael Brown.