Urgent Advice Needed

sparky8181

Go back to the dealer and get them to check it all out. If they can't make any sense then get them to write a statement explaining how they come by the bike and the circumstances in which you have bought it in good faith. The dealer may have been duped as well so try to be nice about it unless it goes sour then call in the dogs!

If it were my pride and joy being sold on after being stolen I know I'd never see it again (if numbers filed off) but I'd like to see people involved in the process getting their collar felt. You never know but if it turns out a stolen bike and the owner traced you may get a reward? I know I'd chuck someone a bundle of cash if they found my bike!

Good luck.

• Like 1

The dealer (Tor Moto ltd) was 2.5 hours away so didnt want to go back there and find out he wasnt there so I called him and to be honest he was a complete a***!

To say he was rude would be an understatement, he kept shouting over me, told me to shut up, then put the phone down on me :angry:

He reckons that the frame was re coated by the previous owner as it was scratched and then only lightly filed to make the number visable, he told me the number that he had recorded for this bike which i checked straight away and it was invalid, he then told me that he knew the previous owner and that he was legit, apparantly the previous owner got it from haventrailsports who should have the registered vin, all this could be possible and he is supposed to be finding out the vin and then letting me know. He also told me to get it checked out by the police and they would comfirm its legit.

I called the police and they were less than usefull, after speaking to 4 people I was told to get a form from the post office and do it through the dvla, TBH I think they were just fobbing me off, lets see how dismissive they are if the pull me over one day and find a bike with no vin in the back of the van.........I'm pretty sure they would show alot more interest in it then!

I'm now waiting for the correct vin (if he comes up with it) and will see if it resembles the partialy readable ano on the bike

To top things off, when I got there the other day and called him he said he would be out in 5 min, he operates from a warehouse with no signage so I couldnt just walk in. When he adventualy came out and took me through I thought it was a bit strange he made me wait outside but maybe he was on hte phone or taking a **** etc etc so didnt read too much into it. I now know why though as he was obviously pumping up the tyre on it as by the time I got the bike back home (2.5 hours) it was completely flat.

When I confronted him about this on the phone he denied pumping it up and said that its common for trials tyres to go flat :wall:

Basicly if I can offer one piece of advise it would be DO NOT DEAL WITH TOR MOTO LTD IN BRIGHOUSE LEEDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I might be tempted (if it were me obviously) to maybe run down to the nearest police HQ with the bike and say to them "look I think I may have bought a stolen bike, could one of your traffic/forensic officers have a look at it please". I would of thought ya may have more luck by taking the bike too them than calling.

And how are ya supposed to fill a DVLA form in when ya can't read the numbers is that not the point?

I think I might be tempted (if it were me obviously) to maybe run down to the nearest police HQ with the bike and say to them "look I think I may have bought a stolen bike, could one of your traffic/forensic officers have a look at it please". I would of thought ya may have more luck by taking the bike too them than calling.

And how are ya supposed to fill a DVLA form in when ya can't read the numbers is that not the point?

As above, record the badge numbers of whom you spoke to, time, date etc. Should you ever get pulled use it as evidence against the Police.

I also have spoken to Tor and didn't get the feeling I wanted to deal with them.

I would think carefully before taking the bike to the police. If it is stolen you will loose your bike and the money you paid for it as a best case scenario. Worst case they accuse you of stealing it or charge you with handling stolen goods. Sound stupid? When have you known the way the law works in this country to be logical, especially when the police don't care too much anyway as you've already said. I've seen this happen to people. You really have to chase the ba**ard who sold you it, if it was me I'd push for my money back. The bike may be legit but you will have a hard time explaining the VIN when it comes to reselling.

How did you pay for it, if Visa you have alot of protection, they can literally take the money back and refund you. (in the event it is stolen)

I hope you have a receipt if you paid by other means ??

Personally I would have to find out, and if you dont, it might come back to haunt you when you try to sell it.

Edited by b40rt

Fortunately a dealer with a business license is in a different situation from a guy on the street

If I were you I would go to the cop shop and tell them you think you have a stolen bike, at that point they have no choice but to deal with you

If its stolen the dealer is responsible and you can get it dealt with easily, if you have your paperwork then you don't have much to worry about

I would think carefully before taking the bike to the police. If it is stolen you will loose your bike and the money you paid for it as a best case scenario. Worst case they accuse you of stealing it or charge you with handling stolen goods. Sound stupid? When have you known the way the law works in this country to be logical, especially when the police don't care too much anyway as you've already said. I've seen this happen to people. You really have to chase the ba**ard who sold you it, if it was me I'd push for my money back. The bike may be legit but you will have a hard time explaining the VIN when it comes to reselling.

As long as there is a paper trail from the dealer and its a registered business there should be no problem in recovering the money.

If it was bought from joe bloggs one evening in the cock n bull pub then that would be a different story it would turn into a civil case to recover the cash. In which case normally it's bye bye bike and cash.

Sorry 0007 I just noticed you said pretty much the same thing.....

Edited by tazz229

I live in the area and have used many dealers in the area over the last 10 or 11 years. I've never heard of this guy until somebody at BUMPY was asking about him and the reply wasn't encouraging. This forum is a great resource and you can always ask if anybody in the area has good or bad experiences.