Sherco Clutch Issue. Update

jeffm

New rider here. Just picked up an 06' sherco 290 and love it however it has one issue that needs work. The clutch seams to grab without smooth transition. Not bad but another 290 I rode was smoother. The clutch doesn't slip any it just is hard to be real smooth in tight slow turns.

Should I start with new plates or does it sound like a new clutch basket is needed? Maybe a different trans oil? Lighter springs?

Hoping someone familiar with this can offer some advice

Thanks

Edited by jeffm

I can't be specific but from posts/topics/forums I've looked through it would appear to be the type of fluid in the gearbox. I've read many topics and threads that describe different kinds of clutch performance depending on the oil that's used. Ie the diff between ATF and normal oil and the different weights.

If it were me personally I'd look up the recommended manufacturer oil, try that and go from there.

Not sure what country your in but sherco recommend this http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/197/7383/ITEM/Maxima-MTL-Transmission-Oil.aspx might be a good place to start.

Edited by tazz229

Search for the most popular trans oil for the bike and change it, ride a few hours and change again. Once you have done this you need time to get used to the bike. It could be soemthing as simple as lever adjustment not being right. Lube the lever pivot as well.

I use the expensive but very good Putoline Nano Trans oil. Since on this oil I have never had a clutch issue with my Rev3 - I have not had to do the "mod" either.

I'm no expert but I've had a few Shercos:

Like the previous post..adjust your lever or/and change to a more viscous transmission fluid first, a couple of oil changes should be opportunity enough for any differences to become apparent.

Failing that I would take the clutch plates out and do the 'Beta clutch modification' (http://www.trialscen...eta-clutch-fix/)

It worked for me :beer:

Mr Moderator, can you please move us into the sanctuary of the Sherco forum...Ta!

Edited by ham2

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like good advice. Will start with diff fluid and lever adjustment to see how that goes. If i see no improvement I think I will pull clutch plates and examine plates and basket. The beta clutch mod sounds good but will probably be a last resort.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Well I went ahead and replaced the clutch plates with sureflex (metal plates & fiber). Also using MTL 75 weight trans oil. No change. Clutch still engaging too quick, no progressive feel. Makes it difficult to turn at full lock going slow. It's either fully engaged or not at all. Basket did have some very slight grooves but not bad. Could this be the problem?

It doesn't stick when cold or have any problems starting in gear. Clutch pull is lighter than my ktm hydrolic clutch. Would heavier springs help? Frustrated.

Edited by jeffm

Ok, here are a couple suggestions for you.

In tight section requireing good control of clutch, #1- slide index finger out on lever to give wider range of application(your lrvers need to be set in properly to do this)

2- Ride the section in second gear or even third- this forces you to slip the clutch to feel for traction and increases the load on the clutch to make the bike react a bit less quick. Try this on a slick grass covered knob from standstill to get a feel for things and you will see.

3- yes, smoothing out the basket and polishing the plates as per the beta clutch mod cannot help but improve things. Takes some time and effort

3- yes, smoothing out the basket and polishing the plates as per the beta clutch mod cannot help but improve things. Takes some time and effort :camgavhl:

:agreed: Jeffm,Like we already telt ya ! :marky:

Edited by ham2

I had a similar problem where the clutch acted like a switch, on/off. I found the the leaver was not moving in and out smoothly. It moved out in jerks when let out slow but when just puling in and out to change gear it was not noticeable. I installed a new master cylinder kit and the problem was no longer. Now slow tight turns are a breeze.

Cheers Taff.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

my guess would be a worn clutch basket. The grooves in the basket fingers mean that the clutch plates dont slide evenly when pressure is applied / released.

A spot of minimalist draw filing is in order, trying to remove the same amount of material from each finger and keep the angle the same as standard. If the grooves are deep consider a new basket.

Dom