Just Bought My 1St Trials Bike - Scorpa Sy250

colin13846

As per title just bought a 2006 Scorpa. I am looking forward to riding it but first want to go over it regarding maintenance etc.

Any specific Scorpa tips regarding preventative maintenance and any essential tweeks etc?

Thanks

PS

Regarding the age it was V5 registerd Nov 2006 but the 12th charactor on the frame is a 7 which I am led to believe makes it a 2007 model I think??

Edited by colin13846

Take a look below the exhaust centre box and see if the corner of the moulding that sticks up from the top of the gearbox has been ground off. If not, it tends to stick into the centre box which in turn splits.

If the moulding is still square (rectangular) then grind the corner off.

Not a big job if you do it when you have the carb off for cleaning.

Hey Colin 13846 - Here's a couple of tips that will help

The SY motor hates a dirty carb - so first job is to get it off and give it a damn good clean - blow out the jets and check the float height.

The air filter and carb are not the easiest to get at first time around - although you quickly learn to put it on a stand/crate, take off the rear guard, support the rear wheel, remove the rear shock top bolt and swing the shock out of the way - sounds tricky but it's dead easy second time around.

Clean the air filter well - better still replace it with a new one - some argue don't oil the filter - I always oiled mine with a frugal spray of PJ1. Then clean it after each ride to save you stripping the carb down too frequently.

The original oil drain plug is made of 'toffee' so if your changing the oil ( 400mls of Light Gear Oil is good) which should be next... change the drain plug too.

Most other stuff is bullet proof - ride and enjoy...

Paul Mac

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice and posts to my original post.

Getting to know the bike a little better now and completed the following jobs

New gear box oil - Motul 5100 10w 40

Drain plug seems new and substantial

New Iridien plug

New front wheel bearings

New front brake pads

Drained old fuel and new added

Removed middle box and ground sharp casing corner off

Drive chain removed, clened and gresed

Clutch and brake lever end play adjusted

Air filter cleaned and lightly oiled but I am going to fit a new one as soon as I can get one.

Phew, have I missed antything?

Bike certainly starts easily.