The Scott 2012 - Bike Prep

scott_king

Hey guys

This year is my first attempt at riding the Scott Trial. I have been busy training and getting the bike ready but I am still unsure about what gearing I should run??

I am currently running 9 - 43 which is lovely in the sections and nice and easy to ride but I am not sure it will be suitable for such an open course. I am thinking going up to a 10t on the front? What do people recommend?

Additionally any further informations for a scott virgin would be beneficial? BTW i am number 30 so if you see my struggling give me a kick up the ass so I can get on with it.

Thanks in advance

Scott

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't say what your bike is, your skill level or your weight.

On a 325 bulto I used to gear up a bit on standard so I had a high 3rd gear, on Yam 250s and modern Gassers I tended to gear down a bit to have a low 4th. What you want is a gear that can do the nadgery non section bits without too much clutching but still gives useful speed and grip.

Tyre pressurs is a trade off between grip (low pressure)and pucture resistance (high pressure)I would probably have 6 to 7 PSI in the rear and 8 to 9 in the front. You are almost certain to unexpectedly hit sharp rocks and fixing a puncture takes a lot of time and effort.

Give yur bike a realy good clean and wax polish - this helps stop the much sticking and makes it lighter to push.

By the way the clerk of the coure and his helpers are really nice people but if you make it to the latter part of the trial you will probably think they are a bunch of sadistic bar stewards.

All the best

Cheers

Thanks for that dadof 2. Rather silly on me to leave the info on the bike off the original post. Its a montesa 4RT and I am a B class rider.

It seems that punctures are a very common problem from all the reports I have read so I may run the tires on the conservative side.

Perce is the expert but from watching I would not reccomend going far different pressures from what you normally would, because the bike is harder on you with 10 in the front, and unless you are supremely fit the bike will make you work alot harder for grip etc.

A 4rt is perfect across the moors no need to change the gearing it will go faster than you dare/can safely ride.

good luck what number?

It seems that punctures are a very common problem from all the reports I have read

Can't think it'll be a problem for you as I doubt you'll be going fast enough. You'll set off far too quick but I'll bet you're blowing hard by the time you come out of Rotten Wood, by that time you should have realised that it's not a race & that you'll have to look after yourself to see how far round the course you can get.

Thanks for the input and interest guys. I don't intend to go off hell for leather but rather pace myself and the bike. I just would rather have a decent crack at it rather than fixing a puncture every couple of sections. As you predicted Perce I am anticipating a mental break down soon after start. Any particular section I should in particular watch out for?

Dabster: Shall we call labrooks and see what odds they give me on finishing??? There is more chance of a three legged horse wining the grand national but I love a challenge. I raced motocross, enduro and trails for many years but now my focus is primarily trials and time trials. The harder i is the more i enjoy an events.

Surely I am not the only novice on here giving it ago?