191 Engine Mount Alignment Issues.

colinf

The bikes been stranded on the bench for a while due to other jobs.Getting back to sorting out the exhaust (see previous thread ) i need to find out what clearance there is, where the middle box and clubfoot join,between the wheel and the frame.I put an old set of nylon bushes back in the swingarm and mounted it on the frame (dry build for exhaust mods so frame,swingarm,tank,airbox,crankcases,barrel and head only).The problem is that the rear engine mount doesn't line up with the swingarm spindle if it's mounted on the engine first and if you put the spindle through first only one engine mounting bolt will line up.Clearly something isn't straight but before i get the oxy-acetylene to it there are three questions.1 the swing-arm bushes don't appear to be in-line, the inner ends are further back than the outer ones but are straight horizontally,surely thats not normal but they don't seem dented/stressed anywhere.2 which way is up for the rear engine mount? ( got the bike in bits so i didn't dismantle it) one end is 90 degrees to the back and one is angled and there is a 4 or 5mm difference between the distance to the bolt holes.and 3 can someone measure the distance between the r/h rear frame tube ( the one from footpeg to shock mount) and the nearest part of the wheel/tyre at the point where the bottom of the airbox is please.

It doesn't fit either way at the moment so if something needs straightening i'd like to be sure which way up it was supposed to be.The measurement was to make sure the exhaust isn't too close to the wheel.My wheels are dismantled so i cant put it in to check at the moment.Didn't want to get the exhaust done just to find out it fouled the tyre later on.

hi mate have you tryed seeing if the engin mount fits when the swingarm is out off the frame? if is dosant then sounds like your swingarm is bent as said above. ive just done mine somtimes they can be abit awkward and fiddely. as wich way it gose is easy the shortest end gose to the bottom. once you have it on dont tighten if untill you have put the engin back in. i leave the bash plate loose this is on my 199A then i put the engin in put all the mount bolts in. and then tighten the swingarm up then the mount bolts hope this helps.

Edited by bondy
  • Like 1

Hi

There is slight differences in the rear engine mounts on some models as some 350 motors sat further forward than the 250 My 175 motor is almost touching the swinging arm pivot pin That not to say there is not a problem with the swinging arm

Thanks all for the advice.With the swingarm off you can clearly see that the bushes are out of alignment but i cant imagine how anyone managed to do that without bending something else.....add swingarm to shopping list. The engine mount was still out slightly too without the swingarm fitted.Back to basics and i measured the holes for the pivot relative to the frame,turns out one was slightly further back and very slightly smaller!Looks like someone had bodged it a bit welding next to it when converting from R/H brake pedal set-up which is funny because i'm going to put it back on the right! Managed to open it up to match the other side and you can now push the last engine mounting bolt in by hand,it's snug but doesn't need to be tapped in with rubber hammer now.