Shin Guards

grahamjayzee

Morning All,

I had a pretty shocking ride yesterday at the Eastern Experts trial at the wonderful Purl's Hill Wood on the Suffolk/ Essex border. We all have off days, and this was mine!

I had a nasty off when I failed to crest the top of a big climb and clattered into a tree (I actually managed to paddle out and saved 2 marks, so that's the important thing...), this resulted in my full decelerating weight falling onto my left footpeg.

I now have a hole in my shin that makes me feel sick if I even think about it, never mind look at it! This is the worst 'shark bite' I've ever had, but I do get peg marks from time to time. It's made me think that a decent shin protector would have saved a lot of pain yesterday.

Does anyone use these, and if so does anyone have any recommendations? I have seen guards designed for the pedal triallers, but these look like they are 'ankle up' rather than 'knee down' that we would need to cover the gap above the boot.

I'll try to load a picture for the gore-curious amongst you!

Cheers

Graham

399730_479067158780850_1265172454_n.jpg

Graham, that is an excellent injury, reminds me of a similar one I once had (although not quite as bad) which spurred me to seek a similar solution. I now ride with Fox Titan knee guards - http://www.amazon.com/TITAN-SPORT-GUARD-BLACK-SILVER/dp/B003ANK8S8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1349099646&sr=8-5&keywords=fox+titan

They may look bulky in the picture but they are actually quite a close fit, they also fit in my alpinestars with no problem, and have saved me further injury on numerous occasions, particularly the knee protector (trees, rocks, etc.)

They are also a pretty good price, I guess this is around a tenner in UK money

I use an old pair of acerbis light weight shin/knee guards under Mx pants. I realise they must be old as they are no longer in the catalogue but they have some similar to those FoxTitan ones.

I would recommend some hard plastic protection.

Thanks Guys,

I know that I'm holding the gate whilst the horse is somewhere in the distance, but my wife won't let me go out to play until I pad up!

I think for the sake of £20 and a bit of mild discomfort, I'd be daft not to. At the very least, this has cost me a ride on Sunday because the thought of starting the Beta at the moment makes me go a bit faint, never mind actually riding it. Another pegging would be too painful for my weak threshold!

Graham

Riding with no knee/shin protection means its just a matter of time til you you get a wound like that one

I have at least 3 different sets of pads that all work, just look for something that is a little thinner in the shin area at the boot

Also, scope out the foam knee pads that are in the street and or dual purpose riding pants, maybe there is a solution for you there

Thanks for all your suggestions and comment guys.

I've bought a pair of Fox Titans, which arrived on wednesday. They are light, but a bit bulky. However, I haven't yet tried them under trials jeans or on the bike. I had considered wearing the left one over my suit at work as I'm terrified someone will accidently kick my ruined shin!

There looks to be plenty of scope to modify them to make them less bulky if this does turn out to be a problem. I do think I'm going to be prepared to get used to a bit less freedom and comfort than going without though, because on balance my comfort 'account' is pretty much in the red at the moment!

Still, the shin is healing nicely. I still have in mind riding on Sunday, but if I'm honest with myself, that might well be out of the question!

Graham

• 1 month later...