Gear Pedal Replacement?

staldantes

Dear Gasers,

Maybe I´m not riding the bike the right way but I am finding the gear shift too far from my foot rests. I don´t find it natural to change gears this way and was thinking about getting a shorter pedal. Having bought the bike second hand the pedal has already seen better days, with the sprung segment bent down slightly (probably as a direct result of using the ball of the foot on the pedal).

The stock one installed is around 16cm in length, and I have to take my foot entirely from the rest to shift up or down.

¿Has anyone else found an alternative that reduces this distance & suits the older non-pro models?

¿Is there a reason why its so far from the foot pegs?

Cheers, and sorry for my naivety if everyone else finds it just right.

The pedal is designed to be long to keep it out of the way of your foot while riding sections. In fact, I have seen guys mount their shifter almost vertical to get it even more out of the way.

I just measured the lever on my '94 and it is 16cm end to end. Perhaps you can repair the bent end to be closer to your toe. I have not trouble reaching the shifter with my sivze 10 (US) boots.

You might try adjusting the lever on the spline to get it in a position that works better for you. I find if mine is too high it get very difficult to shift up.

Is the brake pedal ( on most) trials bikes ergonomically positioned away from your foot as well? I fear it may be regarded as progress if the front brake and clutch levers get (re) positioned so as to avoid accidental operation as well.

Chewy, you being funny?

We do move the clutch and front brake levers as far "in" from the edges of the handlebars, because you use 1 finger to operate either lever.

PLUS, the farther out on the lever itself your index finger is, the easier to pull the clutch or pressure on the front brakes, it is Sesame Street physics (leverage). The bonus to moving the levers inas far as you can is, makes it less likely that the levers hit the ground 1st when you fall off your bike, usually the much stronger bars themselves will impact the ground, this way you dont bend/break those $22 levers.

My rear brake lever is tucked in by the case so that I (hardly so slightly) have to reach in with my toe to use it, not much really. However this keeps it out of the way. the stock brake pedal on the 08 or newer Gas Gas, sticks out enough that it is worthless IMHO, with the bonus that is bends upon your 1st tight rock/tree encounter, because it not only sticks out way too far, but is "pre bent" shape, from the factory means that 1st encounter with a V shaped crevas of rocks, means your brake lever is now more shaped like a pretzel. I replace that lever with designs that were designed or sold on the older bikes (04-08).

Gear shift is something FEW trials riders even use while riding a section. The Pro's do, and if you haven't yet, I suggest you search for Toni Bou. On youtube, you can watch them highly skilled top riders, changing gears about 15 times before a particularly difficult section or rock wall. you do take your foot off the pegs to do so, get used to it, and mark that "skill" off your checklist of things to master. you will also notice that they don't use the front wheel, and dont even need the engine all that often either, lol. (Toni bou, in his "unplugged" debut, lol)

FYI, a trials bike is setup to compete in a trials, from the factory... This isn't your momma's Honda trail 90, where you just push on your heal or toe to shift gears while leisurely trotting down the gravel path...

Now if you want to take your ( I dont know what a gear shift lever costs, what about $55 - 80 US?) and cobble it up so you can shift without moving your foot, you have every right to do so...

Edited by sting32

There are few here in Catalunya that don´t know who Toni Bou is, and he is part of my inspiration for getting into trialing. Here I can get a replacement gear pedal for about 18 euros (since Gas Gas is made here); on road bikes I used to have my heel just behind the peg and could shift. In this I´d like to be able to keep just a part of my heel on the peg and reach the shift, my bike couldn´t find neutral even if you tried so no worries accidently rolling into freewheel.

But your right in that its a skill I´ve just got to master, just wondered if anyone else had considered a change (not finding anything in searching the forum). The rear brake I´ve got used to, although the first few outings I thought I´d loose it if I got flustered. But thanks one and all for your noteworthy input, even Chewy :guinness: .

Staldantes,

I worry that my reply sounds slightly 'pithy' but it was NOT intended to be. It is a "matter of experience" that we or I tell you what I or we know or have learned. trials, once you get halfway good at it, will make these things you see as "quirky" become more than "Oh, now I see why"... if you get my drift.

Now I picked BOU because there are a CRAPLOAD of videos of him, I could have picked Raga, who rides the bikes I love... or a hundred of others, hell I even have a video of me on youtube thanks to a friend that recorded it a few years back... I didn't shift gears either in the short vid, so it would NOT have been much help for the subject at hand. And I picked the best riders, just like I want to learn to swing a golf club like the currently best golfer, instead of some Duffer from my little town in the USA, who has a weird swing, but who can consistently hit his balls right to where he wants them to be, but always has to want them to only travel about 160 yards from the teebox, when everyone else is hitting 240 yards. See the point?

Occasionally I see newbies make freaking weird changes and or decisions based on how it seems to make it more like it was on a dirtbike or streetbike, they been riding then can't understand why it is a potential problem when riding a trials event, at ANYTHING above "beginner/newbie" status, that everyone else (manufactures included) figured out in the 70's.

Edited by sting32

Hey at 37, and a newbie, if I can´t take banter (or pithyness) even if its much worse than this from Experienced Trial riders then I have no call to be on a forum asking questions. All replies accepted no matter how ridiculous.

And again, with reference to Bou or Raga, they are already both legendary Catalan riders (or Tarrés/Sanz, up there with our Dougie Lampkin).

So I have the landscape the greats started on, just need the know-how, and some way to rejuvenate these slightly older bones/TXT parts. I did a great job sorting out my previously ´retired looking´ Gaser, all through advice notched up in this forum. I sorta guessed why the pedal was so long, and its quite unlikely that my extreme riding would even match a hundredth of the Pros, so was thinking maybe I could be more comfortable with a shorter, more comfortable gear shift.

My Hopping skills are somewhat dire, but looking forward to cracking on with trying (so your video was useful), the terrain here is just perfect for trying. Even when I walk the dog I am scouting out possible new routes (being lucky enough to have a 200 acre mixed forest landscape literally outside my front door). Ta all.

Hey at 37, and a newbie, if I can´t take banter (or pithyness) even if its much worse than this from Experienced Trial riders then I have no call to be on a forum asking questions. All replies accepted no matter how ridiculous.

And again, with reference to Bou or Raga, they are already both legendary Catalan riders (or Tarrés/Sanz, up there with our Dougie Lampkin).

So I have the landscape the greats started on, just need the know-how, and some way to rejuvenate these slightly older bones/TXT parts. I did a great job sorting out my previously ´retired looking´ Gaser, all through advice notched up in this forum. I sorta guessed why the pedal was so long, and its quite unlikely that my extreme riding would even match a hundredth of the Pros, so was thinking maybe I could be more comfortable with a shorter, more comfortable gear shift.

My Hopping skills are somewhat dire, but looking forward to cracking on with trying (so your video was useful), the terrain here is just perfect for trying. Even when I walk the dog I am scouting out possible new routes (being lucky enough to have a 200 acre mixed forest landscape literally outside my front door). Ta all.

You will get along fine. Im going to be 47 soon...

Well, like I said I was not trying to be a total ass with my 1st reply. pithy over here, in my head at least, meant the absolute lesser degree of smart assed-ness, than maybe over there, I dont know... lol.

At anyrate, I would be remiss if I help you do something that in all honestly, has been re-engineered for the last 40+ years, from when I got started in the 70's...

What you should do is mount your shifter up 45 degrees up in front, or just close to that, from the "level" or parallel to the the skid plate position that it was shipped, installed at the factory, this seems to keep it from shifting when a rock that might just barely touch your foot without taking evasive actions, to a defensive position of that it will take a rock or something, that will definitely hit your foot if you don't take evasive action, if you get my drift.. I mean you have a lot going on, but usually if you see a BIG rock heading to your toes, you EVADE, ifyou see a littler rock that looks like your pegs "might" clear, that is when you shift your weight or something and it hits the shifter on you.

Good luck with trials, it is the best fun I

• 5 years later...

Im 62, and so glad the question was asked because I to come from road & dirt bikes so was totally bewildered as to why my right foot was floating around aimlessly trying to find the shifter. Thanks for asking and for all the answers. I had contemplated turning the shifter 180 degrees to get it closer, but will try to master it also.