315- Changing Paoli Fork Seal Quesions

sharkbait

Hi guys. I'm in the middle of replacing the [Paoli] fork seals on my 315 and I have a couple of questions. So far I've removed the forks and taken the top caps off each each one, but

1) On the left (spring, compression?) side I'm having a problem getting the slider out of the stantion - should it come out using just the 'slide hammer' action with the stantion in one hand and the slider in the other?? Or should I be removing the innards before the slider comes off?

2) On the right (no spring, rebound?) side I've got the slider out but the seal, etc stayed in the stantion, although they did start to come out. Should I just use a screwdriver to prise the seal, etc out?

Seals can get stuck, especially when they have been in there a few years, yes slide hammer action for both sides, may need to heat the aluminum a bit to help loosen the seal, if the fork tube pulled through and left the seal, look at your bushing, it may have damaged it when it went through the bottom washer. Use a couple of tire irons or other flat tool to pry out the seal, take care to not put too much force on the fork leg.

Hi Nelly

The main issue I was having was the fact that i couldn't get the brake side slider out - turns out there's a tube at the bottom that needs removing first which wasn't mentioned on my 'instructions' :wall:

Paint roller's a great idea..... I'm sure I've got one here somewhere! As usual what started out as a single job has turned into something else - needed new front brake pads also. The head bearings where a little loose and when I had a look at them the bottom one was pretty rusty. Having found out what code number the bearing is I've got a new one coming from eBay - £3.45 instead of £23 + VAT for a Honda one! Now I'm looking at the pegs thinking I'd like to replace them too!

If I ever get round to sorting my towbar out we must meet up for a ride and you can laugh at me :P