Fork Slider Removal And One Other Question

sharkbait

So I've got the slider out of the right hand fork, but for the life of me I can't get it out of the left hand side. The seal retaining clip is defo out and I've tried heating the stantion collar with the hot air gun but it's not coming out. Do I need to takeout whatever mechanicals are down in the bottom of the left hand fork or should I just man up and pull harder?

Second question is: on the instructions I've got for replacing the seals it goes on about removing the bottom bush from the slider before sliding the old seal, washer, etc off and fitting the new ones - why cant I just remove/replace everything from the top of the slider so i don't have to take the lower bush off?

Right, to answer one of my own questions....on the left hand fork (brake side) there is a 'seat pipe'/internal rod that needs to be removed before the slider can be pulled out. This internal rod is held in by the bolt on the bottom of the stantion and you will either need the special Honda tool to hold the internal rod whilst the bolt is being undone or you will have to make one as shown in this video

its been years but I was thinking mine just spun out with having to hold it, if I remember the beta which had payoli's too , I put the spring in the other fork to hold the damper rod in place untill I could get the bottom bolt out, which some genius had locktighted in place

• 4 weeks later...