Ty250A Shocks

searay175

I always wondered what the difference new shocks on a twinshock would make as far as handling etc. The stock shocks on my ty250a would sag the rear and bottom out easily but at the same time be quite stiff almost like running struts. I know most would recommend Betors, Falcons etc. but the $200-$400 cost just is not going to happen.

So I came across a set of shocks from a 90's ke100. They had a what I would call a "looser" wound spring than the stock springs and were longer. Reviews of a ke100 said that the shocks were 'Bouncey". Anyway $25 dollars later and some drilling out larger of the bottom bushing they fit nice and do not have the sag in back. They are bouncey and so far it makes it easy to lift the front wheel up over rocks and logs. I will find out soon how it handles the mud as I have trials today and it's raining.

Good rear shocks that keep the wheel on the ground while allowing the absorption of bumps/roots/rocks etc. , and not disturbing the attitude of the bike and rider are one of the best improvements that can be made to a older twinshock ...(next to new tires !) . Technology has come along way !!!

And just about any new trials shock will be better than the O.E. units ...

Glenn

Hope you had fun today ! :)

the shocks worked great on the muddy hills. The bike gripped well, I never would of made it up some of them with the old stock shocks on there. we will see again in the morning as it's raining tonight and I ride early tomorrow. i also run x-11 tubeless with a tube at 4lbs. It was a fun day!

• 2 months later...

I use 340mm Falcon Trial Classic shocks with standard damping and 50 pound springs on my TY250 twinshocks and have found them to have a fantastic action. 350mm shocks will fit OK, but if you want to fit 360mm shocks, you will need to do some work to prevent the swingarm hitting the brake pedal return stop. I haven't compared Falcons with NJB Experts for action because it seems that everyone that I ride with use either Falcon or Betor shocks. I find the steering is perfect with 340mm shocks so have not pursued using anything longer.

• Like 1

I have a set ot Betor trial expert and a set of NJB ( both 340mm, 40 pound spring ) on standatd and modified TY and I like the NJB trial Expert, I should tell you that I'm an average rider, so maybe I cannot tell the difference.

Guy

• 6 years later...
On 12/24/2012 at 4:02 PM, feetupfun said:

I use 340mm Falcon Trial Classic shocks with standard damping and 50 pound springs on my TY250 twinshocks and have found them to have a fantastic action. 350mm shocks will fit OK, but if you want to fit 360mm shocks, you will need to do some work to prevent the swingarm hitting the brake pedal return stop. I haven't compared Falcons with NJB Experts for action because it seems that everyone that I ride with use either Falcon or Betor shocks. I find the steering is perfect with 340mm shocks so have not pursued using anything longer.

feetupfun, noticed this old thread on the Falcons shocks. I have the same shocks, but the springs seem to be very stiff in relation to your 50 pound springs. These springs on mine are chrome plated.  I don't know if the color/finish is the identification for the spring rate on these?  Some companies do color code their springs to identify the spring rate, but don't know about Falcons. Is there some way to tell what the spring rate is for sure?

On 5/4/2019 at 8:42 AM, Tillerman6 said:

feetupfun, noticed this old thread on the Falcons shocks. I have the same shocks, but the springs seem to be very stiff in relation to your 50 pound springs. These springs on mine are chrome plated.  I don't know if the color/finish is the identification for the spring rate on these?  Some companies do color code their springs to identify the spring rate, but don't know about Falcons. Is there some way to tell what the spring rate is for sure?

If they have falcon springs, the rate is usually engraved on one end of each springs, on the flat bit. They usually have just the first digit ie 5 for 50lb, although I have some that have the full number 50 for 50 lb. If there is nothing engraved you can work out the rate using a coil spring calculator of which there are many available free on the internet. Falcon springs are not colour or finish coded. Standard used to be chromed and now standard is powder coated black.

• 2 weeks later...