Gear Shift Not Springing Back

theshercorider

Indeed, I've ordered a load of bits from Splatshop to fix it an pimp my bike a little.

Anybody know if an impact air gun would be any use on a midget compressor? My compressor is one I nicked from my dad from when he used to do airbrushing so it's tiny. I'm pretty sure I manage to get a tyre back on to the rim though, I must have been extremely lucky.

Air tools require the VOLUME of air to drive them, so if a mini compressor is connected to an air tank for reserve volume at a given pressure it will work fine.

Splat Chris may loan you a proper holding tool for a deposit?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay progress :)

D699118D-2752-40C2-BCB4-5D9F4C9C5625-4359-000005F74932C3D2.jpg

I just it it in gear and held it on the brake and brought on the muscle haha.

Anyway it wasn't broke when I took it off, but I pushed it really lightly and it snapped. So I think I have found the culprit :) I ordered a new spring yesterday so hopefully it will be around sometime soon.

Anybody got any tips for sitting the spring back in place properly cause it was a pain to get off?

Yay progress :)

D699118D-2752-40C2-BCB4-5D9F4C9C5625-4359-000005F74932C3D2.jpg

Anybody got any tips for sitting the spring back in place properly cause it was a pain to get off?

I have seen that sight before with my bike.

Suggestions for re-installation......... Use as many swear words as possible?? :beer:

Thanks for the advice, shall I throw some tools around my garage too? ;)

I thought that was just standard practice in every garage. ;) Or maybe a couple :beer: to make it go smoother. but if there are too many :beer: you may forget about fixing the bike and start :banana2::banana:

But I do agree with Copemech that it is good that chunk did not go in the gears.

I thought that was just standard practice in every garage. ;) Or maybe a couple :beer: to make it go smoother. but if there are too many :beer: you may forget about fixing the bike and start :banana2::banana:

But I do agree with Copemech that it is good that chunk did not go in the gears.

Zipper, is your spring rigid?

• 6 months later...

I have dug this post back up, because it's the same problem, I just have a question about re-installation.

My bike stopped shifting correctly this past weekend (2003 Sherco 2.9). Long story short, I am 99% sure it was the gear selector return spring. I pulled everything off last night, the spring did not appear to be broken, but as I pulled out the shift shaft, it broke exactly like the one above in this post.and looked just like in this post.

So I am not 100% sure if it wasn't shifting well due to spring fatigue or if it got dislodged. I looked at the sping before I removed the shaft, and it did not use a stud in the engine case behing the gear selector as a pivot point like I thought. It just looped around the collar on the shift shaft, then crossed behind a stud on the back of the gear selector.

Question is does it just loop around the collar on the shift shaft then cross-over behind and infront of the stud on the back of the gear selector? See my bad drawing....

returnspring_zps1dea9632.jpg

• 5 years later...

Dragging up an old topic here sorry.

I'm about to buy a 2013 2.9 with a broken spring (planning on taking off the side cover with the owner to check for damage, then if all's well take the bike and do the work at home), I'd like to order all the bits I need before I get the bike so I can do the work promptly.

Besides the spring, do I need new gaskets? I can't quite figure out if I only need to take off the plastic cover that I believe has an O-ring seal, or if I also need the "clutch gasket M036"? No doubt all will be revealed once I have the bike in front of me.

While I'm in there I plan on doing the "Beta clutch fix" and improve the clutch feel and sticking too.

You should only need the clutch cover gasket, fresh coolant & gearbox oil although if you lie the bike on it's side after draining the coolant you should be okay for oil but I'd change it anyway with a new bike

3 hours ago, tony27 said:

You should only need the clutch cover gasket, fresh coolant & gearbox oil although if you lie the bike on it's side after draining the coolant you should be okay for oil but I'd change it anyway with a new bike

This is the gasket you mean?

https://www.splatshop.co.uk/sherco-clutch-case-gasket-2011.html

Sherco part 3135

Thanks