Making Our Sport More Popular?

rij

hello,

If bike sales are down and we need more people to get into our sport to keep it alive what are we going to all do about it?

I'm sure we are all very passionate about keeping the trials scene alive as its one of the most skill-full and most impressive motor sports out there.

I tell as many people about it as i can most people haven't got a clue what it is thinking its racing!

mention good old kickstart and they suddenly get it.

personally i cant see no-stop rule changes making it any better, To me its incredible when riders composes him/herself and then springs effortlessly up something from a standing start that must be the most exciting part to watch as spectators.

So How do we get more people into it? any suggestion?

P.s can we all get more ladies into the sport, as they look much better in spandex than us hairy a***d blokes!!

Rich

Tubby Trials Team

Edited by rij

I think we need to get our mits on the cash spent by the factories on the WTC and put it to better use.

From the factorys point of view I just dont get it. £££s gets spent on transporting a top 8 /10 around the world yet at most events we all know who will win and we all know we cant buy that bike. WTC is not selling bikes, from the journo / spectator and amateur cameramans point of view stop permitted is spectatcular, but its not making people buy bikes.

The basic asumption that more spectacular = more spectators = more bike sales doesnt appear to work. WTC has probably done more for camera sales than bike sales, an exaggaration but hopefully you see what I mean.

I see Andys point of view and certainly not knocking the guy but for all the world trials he has attended has he bought a bike yet ? Has he seen anything that makes him ring up a dealer and say could i borrow a bike just to try it ? Sorry not getting at you at all Andy its just an example. I dont care how many watch a world trial, but i am concerned how many ride a trial these days.

Our sport has fundamental problems

Bikes are way to expensive and quality isnt up to the job. Have you seen the price of parts ? who in their right mind is going to put their son / daughter a 3 year old bike and put it right to see if they like trials ?

All of the observing rules are applied subjectively, to the outsider we might as well make it up. WTC no reversing, of course they reverse, they may do it diagonally or whilst on the rear wheel but they are still going backwards and getting cleans while we all think wasnt that good. No Stop is no easier to enforce.

Then look at our bikes from a land access point of view.

Forestry in england are reluctant to allow a motor vehicle in a stream due to the pollution risk. Try justifying a keihin carb as Sherco and beta supply to the enviromental officer at your local council. Carbs urinate petrol whenever the bike leans over or is on an incline, is that really so hard to fix as a problem ? Dellortos dont seem to leak and FI per the Ossa and Mont certainly dont.

Chain Lube, all the manufacturers make it, anyone thought of biodegradeable ? you can get it but none of us use it.

Lets get better bikes that are presentable to the local authorities and forestry people as enviromentally friendly, put some R&D money into that instead of a titanium shock for Toni. If your car poured petrol out going downhill you would take it back.

Trials needs land, bikes that are accesible to Joe Public and rules that are consistently enforced.

Trials will die without more land and more young riders. Have you noticed the demographic at a uk trial ? most of the riders are 40 plus ! A WTC is a nice to have but trials will survive without it so can we stop the next 6 months of debate on WTC rules and focus on doing somthing positive instead ?

Mr factory, i can get you some land, can you bring the bikes ??

Edited by baldilocks

When I walk through my local suburban shopping centre in the evenings I often see small groups of riders on trials bikes, push bikes of course. This over the last few years. The hazards are seats, walls, ornamental, rocks etc etc. The riding ability is often of a high standard and frankly looks pretty cool and exciting. The bikes are trick and some are probably pretty expensive.

If this is repeated around the UK and elsewhere there must be many many trials riders obviously mostly younger people and all on push bikes.

So if anything it seems that the problem is self powered trials bikes versus pedal powered ones and the pedal ones are winning hands down. Maybe just wait till they get to old to pedal!

To this end I wish the new Gas Gas E wasn't so incredibly expensive (£9500 I was quoted by the factory last November) as I feel the powered bike market, and hence all the manufacturers, could do with a bridge vehicle.

A good electric bike in proper trial style could be ridden and played with in many locations forbidden to its petrol powered brothers and sisters. It could be an instrument to lead younger grown up riders (like the ones in my local centre) and others too, towards the real thing if you like. I realise the limitations of electric bikes but if you tried them and liked them, a real 300 gasser, a few litres of fuel and some serious climbs might be very tempting prospect.

As for stop vs no stop I think Stop has created a situation akin to Reductio ad absurdum in the sense there is only ever wriggle-squat-rev-go and nothing else to it, no matter how cool that looks.

I wish there was some famous person who could be persuaded to take up the sport and wow they discovered it actually is cool, that's all it would need. Maybe a bike mad prince (we have two) with a charity tie-in somehow to start them off.

Perhaps involving a popular MBE ennobled trials gentleman assisted by ideally a leading lady rider or two and plenty of kids willing to try a bike. Which make would be 'By Appointment!'

hello,

If bike sales are down and we need more people to get into our sport to keep it alive what are we going to all do about it?

I'm sure we are all very passionate about keeping the trials scene alive as its one of the most skill-full and most impressive motor sports out there.

I tell as many people about it as i can most people haven't got a clue what it is thinking its racing!

mention good old kickstart and they suddenly get it.

personally i cant see no-stop rule changes making it any better, To me its incredible when riders composes him/herself and then springs effortlessly up something from a standing start that must be the most exciting part to watch as spectators.

So How do we get more people into it? any suggestion?

P.s can we all get more ladies into the sport, as they look much better in spandex than us hairy a***d blokes!!

Rich

Tubby Trials Team

Simple,keep trials as spectacular as possible,get more youth involved because they are the future of trials and because they are the ones that are going to be able to run at the front and forget no stop,mind you having said that i have just seen a clip of cabestany riding no stop and have to say its not as boring as i first thought but definately not as exciting as stop allowed and he fived the section every time.

I think we need to get our mits on the cash spent by the factories on the WTC and put it to better use.

From the factorys point of view I just dont get it. £££s gets spent on transporting a top 8 /10 around the world yet at most events we all know who will win and we all know we cant buy that bike. WTC is not selling bikes, from the journo / spectator and amateur cameramans point of view stop permitted is spectatcular, but its not making people buy bikes.

The basic asumption that more spectacular = more spectators = more bike sales doesnt appear to work. WTC has probably done more for camera sales than bike sales, an exaggaration but hopefully you see what I mean.

I see Andys point of view and certainly not knocking the guy but for all the world trials he has attended has he bought a bike yet ? Has he seen anything that makes him ring up a dealer and say could i borrow a bike just to try it ? Sorry not getting at you at all Andy its just an example. I dont care how many watch a world trial, but i am concerned how many ride a trial these days.

Our sport has fundamental problems

Bikes are way to expensive and quality isnt up to the job. Have you seen the price of parts ? who in their right mind is going to put their son / daughter a 3 year old bike and put it right to see if they like trials ?

All of the observing rules are applied subjectively, to the outsider we might as well make it up. WTC no reversing, of course they reverse, they may do it diagonally or whilst on the rear wheel but they are still going backwards and getting cleans while we all think wasnt that good. No Stop is no easier to enforce.

Then look at our bikes from a land access point of view.

Forestry in england are reluctant to allow a motor vehicle in a stream due to the pollution risk. Try justifying a keihin carb as Sherco and beta supply to the enviromental officer at your local council. Carbs urinate petrol whenever the bike leans over or is on an incline, is that really so hard to fix as a problem ? Dellortos dont seem to leak and FI per the Ossa and Mont certainly dont.

Chain Lube, all the manufacturers make it, anyone thought of biodegradeable ? you can get it but none of us use it.

Lets get better bikes that are presentable to the local authorities and forestry people as enviromentally friendly, put some R&D money into that instead of a titanium shock for Toni. If your car poured petrol out going downhill you would take it back.

Trials needs land, bikes that are accesible to Joe Public and rules that are consistently enforced.

Trials will die without more land and more young riders. Have you noticed the demographic at a uk trial ? most of the riders are 40 plus ! A WTC is a nice to have but trials will survive without it so can we stop the next 6 months of debate on WTC rules and focus on doing somthing positive instead ?

Mr factory, i can get you some land, can you bring the bikes ??

Bikes dont sell because we are in a recession its not just trials bikes its all bike,cars ,caravans ,houses you name it dont sell,no stop aint gonna change that,

all very true,

no new rider is going to just go out and buy new machines i started on a beta rev3 200 worth £700,

and as I've got better started to move up to newer bikes.

its the kind of thing you need to get friends into by letting them have a go on your own (but still risky especially when its a 290 evo!)

then getting them hooked on it

land theres probably a lot of un-used land in towns citys where old building or factory used to be??

no spillage of fuel issues but still lots of problems getting permission.

also then not needing to drive an hour away like i have too.

all very true,

no new rider is going to just go out and buy new machines i started on a beta rev3 200 worth £700,

and as I've got better started to move up to newer bikes.

its the kind of thing you need to get friends into by letting them have a go on your own (but still risky especially when its a 290 evo!)

then getting them hooked on it

land theres probably a lot of un-used land in towns citys where old building or factory used to be??

no spillage of fuel issues but still lots of problems getting permission.

also then not needing to drive an hour away like i have too.

Got to have the landowners permission other wise trials bikes and riders will get a bad name and that wont do the sport any good.

We are lucky,we have 30 acres of woodland that the farmer lets us use and its only about 2 miles from where we live

Got to have the landowners permission other wise trials bikes and riders will get a bad name and that wont do the sport any good.

We are lucky,we have 30 acres of woodland that the farmer lets us use and its only about 2 miles from where we live

Wow thats lucky using his land!

Yeah i agree we certainly don't want trials to get a bad name, and definitely don't want illegal riding we can leave that to kids on pit bikes!

there are great people in the trails scene and all are willing to help each other out which is great,

trials bicycles are a great way forward especially with danny macaskill doing his thing on youtube

bicycles can be just as expensive as motorcycle which doesn't help.

New bikes wont sell straight away as we are all feeling the pinch, but we should all do our bit to get friends into it, there are plenty of bikes worth a £1000 out there which don't loose any money if there kept tidy and are much more accessible to the majority of newcomers.

dads buying a bike for there kids is great but does it spread further than that?

I post stuff on

facebook/youtube

what do the importers do? dirt bike shows are great but those people are already into it.

what about getting people to have a go at taster days?

You know it's amazing how many people ignore the kids on OSET's and Mecatechno's. That area where the bikes are reasonably priced and even Single Mum's can get there kids out has grown a lot over the last five years. The Stick in the Muds who only look at Adult riders have to remember who are the next generation. The main makers of bikes ignore those kids at their peril. For years they only supplied what are to be honest pretty crappy and under developed Autos. When Beta actually produced the REV50 we suddenly had a replacement for the TY80! We joined up at the time and I had hell on to find a bike for my lad to actually compete on and then there they were!!! The Kids could not ride Trials because many clubs ignore them. At the time Yorkshire Centre clubs were trying hard to get more Small Wheelers and they still do. It's a shame many of the "old stagers" on here still don't seem to have any idea about them.

Plug your leaky bung on your carb, and use the WD on your chain! Works fine!

I think the problem is people dont know enough about the sport. When speakin to people and they ask what hobby i have they look blank faced so i describe to them and then they begin to understand. What the sport needs i think is more public advertisement. All these kids on pushbike trials get them because they see older kids on them at the local park doing tricks etc and want to have a go. Also there are plenty of shows about where pushbike trials riders set up demos in town centres etc to show what they can do. All this is putting pushbike trials in the public eye. I think that this is what needs to be done for trials motorbiking aswell. The show that was on lately in a town centre (cant remember which mind) was good to get publicity but it needs doing more often. Im sure there are many events etc where a trials demonstration can be put on to show others what its all about. I dont think just having trials on is going to invite newcomers to the sport as most dont know there on and around our area most of the spectators are the same people you see week in week out.

Up here we have no real problem attracting "older riders",kids are a different story.

I find with kids if they have a parent that doesn't get our laid back nature they don't last.

Parents start complaining about trivia then go off in the huff never to return.

The kids are always great but if we do get any problems there always seems to be a parent envolved.

The ones that mum and dad just leave them to there own devices are never any bother.

Do other clubs come across this?.

• Like 1

You know it's amazing how many people ignore the kids on OSET's and Mecatechno's. That area where the bikes are reasonably priced and even Single Mum's can get there kids out has grown a lot over the last five years. The Stick in the Muds who only look at Adult riders have to remember who are the next generation. The main makers of bikes ignore those kids at their peril. For years they only supplied what are to be honest pretty crappy and under developed Autos. When Beta actually produced the REV50 we suddenly had a replacement for the TY80! We joined up at the time and I had hell on to find a bike for my lad to actually compete on and then there they were!!! The Kids could not ride Trials because many clubs ignore them. At the time Yorkshire Centre clubs were trying hard to get more Small Wheelers and they still do. It's a shame many of the "old stagers" on here still don't seem to have any idea about them.

Yes i agree ,the oset has grown over the yrs especially up north,i know nige & nick from Trials UK do a lot to promote it and thats the level that you want to get kids started,theres plenty of talent out there with the kids they just need a chance to shine.