Air Cooled Single Shockers Class Input.

chuckindenver

hello,

i would like some imput on this, im in th U.S. iv proposed a new class to be added for ITSA,

in a nut shell, it would make a class for air cooled single shock bikes built before 1990, iv heard that some of the Euro clubs havd been doing this with good results, without getting to deap in how i set the class, i would like to know who well it worked, and if any what were the problems, so i can adjust the guidelines for the class, and present it to the powers that be.

mind you, no new sections ect, this will just bring these bikes off the trail, and out of the Garage, and let them be played with again like they should be, and keep them from being cut into twin shockers.

thanks for the imput.

Hi we have been running a class for Pre95 air cooled monos now for 4 years and i wouldnt say we have been swamped by entries but then again we get on average 4 of 5. Most of them are TY250's but we also get a few RTL Hondas and a GAS GAS and the odd Aprillia. A guy used to ride regularly on a Montesa but havent seen him for a bit. Strangely not many Fantics but thats probably because the Fantic mono gets robbed of it's motor a lot over here for use in twinshocks.

The class seems mostly popular with the older rider who just wants to ride and not have a lot of maintenance issue like you get with P65 and to a lesser extent twinshocks. Modifying ACM to twinshock if frowned on over here but i understand it's fairly a common thing in the US.

Good luck with it i feel it's worth having a class as long as the sections dont alter to suit which is the usual complaint from the P65 boys. We just ran the class using the same section severity regardless and surprisingly the ACMonos dont usually drop the least marks. I dont know what that proves if anything but if it means i get 4 or 5 more riders at each event then it goes someway towards paying for the land plus it might just get the odd, all teenagers are odd to me LOL, youth rider to borrow dads bike and have a go.

AHRMA pretty much killed vintage trials here by the blinders on rules, and not welling to change and grow as time goes on so to speak, i personally have and enjoy the twin shockers, even the older bikes, have a few championship rides on a KT,

as a modern advanced rider, i like a challenging section, safe but make a guy put his foot down if you dont do your job right,

i know that ITSA has a chance to bring Classic trials back to life hear, i know its going well on the east coast,

in time , i belive it will take off well here in the West, our modern club has been active for well over 30 years, and i know alot of Fantic, Beta, and Yamaha single shockers are sitting un loved and un ridding,

im sure it wont be gang busters , but even if it opens up 5 new riders, i think that 5 more then we had before.

after being with a club that refused to grow and change, its nice being with a club that just wants to ride.

after all, a better bike likely wont keep you feet on the pegs, just help you crash harder, and look better doing so.

Over here it seems that it's the last affordable entry level bike( 600 - 1k) although many have been robbed of parts for twinshocks, engines front ends etc. Some have even bolted 2 shocks to them in the past, but we've done that subject to death..... :wall: .

ACM has been going for two years now in Australia and the experience has been very much as old trials fanatic has already described, including the lack of Fantics. We run them on the same line as the Twinshocks.

I would like to add that I would not count on too many new people coming to ride "old-bike" trials because of ACM class, rather it is riders who previously would have ridden Twinshock or Pre 65 who are riding the Air Cooled monos. I suggest you have a later cut-off than 1990 so that Yamaha Pinkys can ride.

My view is that its a case of putting on trials that riders want,with sections that dont scare them / kill them off ! Thing is all these classes have a lifespan,at the moment my club is enjoying good entries,with the team doing all we can to keep the sections welcoming to rigid and pre unit bikes.It seems to be working,with good numbers of old bikes.But you have to realise that the riders get older as well as the bikes and riders are less daring the older they get.

My club has recently decided to have a twinshock class at its scrambles meetings,something they put off for a long time.But they now need to do it to get the entries back up.If thats what it needs to keep the meeting viable it has to be.

If I had to add an AC mono class to Bath Classic to keep it going, I'd just get on and do it.But for now we are fine - Riding old bikes for fun is what its all about. :thumbup:

• Like 1

ROCK -ON !!!

" its nice being with a club that just wants to ride.

after all, a better bike likely wont keep you feet on the pegs, just help you crash harder, and look better doing so "And I look really good when I Face plant on the trusty fantic ...

" Riding old bikes for fun is what its all about. :thumbup: "

For some of us anyways :)

Edited by axulsuv

well, its in the works, i laid the basics for the class, im sure they will tweek it a bit, hope its aproved..as far is i feel, its about the riders more then the bikes, set a class, with good guidelines, and let em ride.

i agree, with the support lines, they should be challenging, yet safe...however, id like to step the expert line up a notch, after all there is a reason we have EXPERT on that plate..majority of the upper class riders in ITSA ride Advance and expert Modern anyway, the amount of shocks on the back of the bike really doesnt matter much, after all, its only a dab right..

• 2 years later...

Hi all, Thought I'd add my 10 cents worth.

Here in NZ they run what they call "Twin shock trials". These have three levels of difficulty in each section.

There are several classifications; Classic, (essentially Pre 65 bikes), Twin shock (70s' bikes, i.e. twin rear shock, air cooled, drum break bikes),

Modern bikes, (air cooled mono shock bikes, drum and disk). True modern bikes are not turned away, but points are not counted and kind of frowned on. After all there are plenty of trials to cater for them.

At these Twin shock trials stopping & hopping etc is not allowed, i.e. you'll get a five. Gotta keep moving.

As for the level of section you ride on what bike, you choose to suit your ability. The pre 65s' tend to ride the straighter easier line more suited to thier bikes. The modern are encouraged to ride the hardest line, but consideration is always given to rider ability.

The events are pretty casual affaires which makes them really enjoyable to ride at.

Bottom line Keep It Fun, not too much focus on the competing and more on the riding, talking, sharing, etc.

• Like 2