Us World Round At Ttc

martin belair

So I quess that means we start planning now to get to TN. before its too late to help/work anyway we can volunter ?... I think Dan , Catherine , Charlie and Ashley would appreciate any help they could get ...

I've got to start saving for my vacation now !!!

Glenn

• Like 1

I have heard rumors is this a no-stop event?

Well the FIM has stated 2013 World rounds are no-stop.

So this means you must continue moving the entire time you are spectating. Do NOT bring any folding chairs they will be of no use to you.

• Like 1

Well the FIM has stated 2013 World rounds are no-stop.

So this means you must continue moving the entire time you are spectating. Do NOT bring any folding chairs they will be of no use to you.

I was wondering what all this "no-stop" meant! :huh::lol:

I went to the last world round in 06 it was great. The thing i enjoyed watching the most was how they set up an manuvered so easily and gracefully. So if it is no-stop then I guess it will be no stop for me hopefully they wil have another u.S. world round soon after they come to their senses and forget about this non stop foolishness

For those of you who remember, it was not too long ago when WTC was No-stop! I believe it was in the late 90's, early 2000. The riding was not that much different and the riders quickly adapted their style, by hopping and manouvering the bikes while still in motion. Coming from a total stop allowed background myself, and allowed to backup as well, I was skeptical at first. In the end the riding was no less amazing by the world guys, and I expect that with the talent level of Bou, Raga, Caby etc, the level of riding will be even better! Its not gonna be any less exciting, and I expect you are gonna see things you have never seen before. Its called evolution! the riders will always figure out a way to make it work!

• Like 2

I went to the last world round in 06 it was great. The thing i enjoyed watching the most was how they set up an manuvered so easily and gracefully. So if it is no-stop then I guess it will be no stop for me hopefully they wil have another u.S. world round soon after they come to their senses and forget about this non stop foolishness

Wild horses couldn't keep me away from the WTC at TTC in May. I am going to keep an open mind and I am going to support our sport and the folks at TTC that are putting a lot on the line to bring this event back to the USA.

Mr Hensley I believe that it's a mistake to assume that there will be in your words no "set up an manuvered so easily and gracefully"

I have heard this reaction from others and I wonder why people assume that No Stop = Boring ? I think folks assume it will be like a vintage trial. They are wrong. I believe that it will be a very exciting mix of styles. The only thing that is being removed from the modern style is the "stop" every other modern technique is allowed and will be used and only one ingredient will be added "motion".

Laike I said before, call it " trick riding with motion" .The riders at the WTC will adapt very quickly. And the riding will be spectacular!

People ask how will it be scored? Good question. I am sure that the FIM will define what a stop is and I am sure there will be disagreements just like with any set of rules in any sport.

The surprising thing to me is that people think the rules we have now are OK. No , I'm sorry but they are the worst rules ever. Today you can stop with a foot down and get a only a one. This is not trials. It violates the basic principals of the sport.

Please bear with me. I'll explain.

Trials has at its core 2 basic elements..... "Balance and Motion" When you stop w/foot down you have failed at both elements of the sport. You are no longer demonstrating any type of skill whatsovever. It's a failure 5 points. As a matter of fact you have become so useless that the bike can perform this without you aboard. This is what I call the "Human Kickstand" or in the UK ......propstand or what ever you lot call it.

You have ceased to be an athlete and sportsman...Yet no one is scored a failure. You can perform this absurdity for 89 seconds and still be on a one and for the majority of riders this is accepted.

Todays rider only knows stop n hop. Most don't understand what we lost when this change happened. We lost turning skills, flow, transitions, the ability to pick a line and the ability to link moves together. Most importantly we lost FUN and credibility. Todays techniques are amazing and may not have evolved to the point where they are today without stop n hop but I feel the pendulum has swung too far and we need to regain some of what we have lost.

I have told this story before but it bears repeating...... I was watching a section recently with 3 time National Champ and the last American to score World Pro points in Europe, Scott Head. After watching one particularly ugly demonstration of bike dragging and stop dabs..........Scott said to me "That just doesn't look like he is having any fun. I wonder if people know what they are missing"

Edited by martin belair
  • Like 3

Mr. Belair and others

You may be right i might need to be more open minded I've only talked 7 or 8 club level riders and they all told me the same thing its horrible and I seem very open minded compared to them . Since I have been riding only since 03 I dont remember it being done in the nineties I did ride for a year in 78 and stopping was never thought of, which brings to mind a question why did they switch back after trying it in the nineties ever heard of "been there done that"

. My balance is awful and as a intermediate club rider i dont hop so it would be to my advantage. My son will ride national expert next year and if the Natc switches he will probably be helped as to me seems to not set up as well as some others and his impatience may be greatly rewarded. However its not about me and my kid im interested in preserving the sport to ban several graceful techniques seems to divide the sport.

Take a look at Cabestany trying ride no stop on the clip posted in the general forum is that more entertaining. It will be an absolute Scoring nightmare. Trials compared to other Motorsports isfthe most friendly lets see how friendly it is when the did the front wheel stop arguments start. If you are a lets do something different even if its wrong person then it is doing something to try to promote the sport. I am glad there are those that think its a good idea and I hope I am wrong. I hope it makes it more exciting and grows the sport but cannot see how. Why did England after last year having no-stop switch to some of each.

It doesn't make much difference what a few of us old men think about the sport what do the youngins want? They we be there when we are dead and gone. There is non stop vintage all over the U.S. are they atracting young people?

If you want to speed the sport up and attract go fasters then cut the 6 hours to 4, cut 90 seconds to 75 leaving the sections he same and you might have the best of both worlds limiting some stopping why does it have to be all or none

Not being able to stop may make us all better enduro riders my fear is we will lose are riders to Endurocross and Enduro.

Seems like nobody post here anymore and im in the minority.

Here in the U.S. we will have to make a choice do what the FIM dictates or go are own way. I have been so impressed how riders from so many walks of life seem to get along in our sport. I think it is the greatest sport /hobby in the entire World which brings to mind "If it aint broke why fix it".

Do you really think Smages stint on TV would have been more entertaining if he couldn't stop and splatter? Like I said I hope I'm wrong guess we will have to wait and see.

The surprising thing to me is that people think the rules we have now are OK. No , I'm sorry but they are the worst rules ever. Today you can stop with a foot down and get a only a one. This is not trials. It violates the basic principals of the sport.

Please bear with me. I'll explain.

Trials has at its core 2 basic elements..... "Balance and Motion" When you stop w/foot down you have failed at both elements of the sport. You are no longer demonstrating any type of skill whatsovever. It's a failure 5 points. As a matter of fact you have become so useless that the bike can perform this without you aboard. This is what I call the "Human Kickstand" or in the UK ......propstand or what ever you lot call it.

You have ceased to be an athlete and sportsman...Yet no one is scored a failure. You can perform this absurdity for 89 seconds and still be on a one and for the majority of riders this is accepted.

I agree that stop with foot down you are now a kickstand and have failed = 5.

But I personally believe trials is about "CONTROL" not balance or motion exactly. stop feet up = control stop foot down = no control.

But I disagree that we should go to no - stop because we have lost something along the way. I personally feel that modern trials riding is a mix of styles both stop and hop and no stop. both styles have their roots in control of the machine.

So far I have seen 2 videos of supposed no stop riding Caby and Bou. Both riders stopped. difference for bou is the first time through he hopped on rear wheel and second time through he stopped with both tires on the rock.

http://www.photobysergio.fr/cabestany-non-stop.html

http://www.photobysergio.fr/non-stop.html

running no stop now eliminates the use of tight 90 degree turns and immediate obstacle after that. In my opinion sections will now need to be "opened up" in order to allow a more fluid flow to the section making no - stop possible and basically turning it into an extreme enduro course.

Personally I don't think either set of rules will bring in more spectators. Main reason I think we don't have spectators is because as a spectator you cannot just look and instantly see who is winning. Other forms of racing whoever ahead of the others is winning. With trials you have to wait until the scores are counted. (yes I know about golf - scores are constantly posted and most ppl watch on the telly, Freestyle MOTO-X is a big show anyways) Trials will always be a small niche sport populated with some of the nicest, most talented and wierdest riders out there.

Just my opinions from a guy that rode TY's as a kid in the early 80's and now tries to stop and hop and other times ride a flowing line.

Ok now im confused watching Cabestany he clearly stops on his rear wheel does that mean it is ok to stop as long as your front wheel is in the air. i can see a clear argument for stopping with your foot down being a five. My biggest question is why change the rules what is the reasoning behind it. go to the world championship chat page lol at the fim seems to be causing pure turmoil there. I hope those here who think it is a good idea are willing to judge the sections at he ttc. We might learn some new Spanish cuss words. Does anybody know Japanese for S.O.B.

Ive heard some ratings of Golf on T.V are going down they might want to consider talking away tees and going to all woods no irons.

Edited by hensley
  • Like 1

You know your guys are right on one thing I shouldn't pass judgement on the rule without seeing it in person. I going to do my best to attend the round this year Dan deserves all the support he can get and Ill urge others to attend. I will also do it with an open mind and not comment about my views while i am there. Then if my fears are substantiated afterwords Ill do my best to see it doesn't take over our trials in the U.S (we don't have to automatically do what the World round does the Fim does little for us here in the states). If i am wrong then Ill promote it.

The big problem is we don't discuss anything here this is a big topic and it just goes ignored by most. Is there a new forum i am not aware of this is being discussed or has everybody lost their passion for trials?

i have not met one expert or pro level rider that thinks No Stop is a good idea... only guys that think this is great.,.dont compete {only score}, or ride support, or ride vintage, {AHRMA throw backs}

they tried this a few years ago, and the upper class riders stopped, got a 5. and then protested the section.. it will happen the same way again.

the video being shown, is great, iv watched...but thats NOT how the champ sections will be set up,

i know, and anyone who has trials mastered a modern even knows it.

from what i read on FIM, the reasoning behind this was to level the playing field for the riders that havnt won or cant beat top riders...

so rather then practicing and riding better...lets change the rules so we can win?? sounds like BS to me.

personaly, i ride no stop as much as i can, i dont and wont ever ride above advanced, and most of those lines are set so that no stop is workable, at the expert and champ level...i belive its a big safety issue..

being an EMT at these events, i dread hualling one of these kids off on a back board with a broken Femur... we have no reason to pass a rulling on a class we dont, cant and wont ever compete on...they make it look easy,,,think it is? try it once..

The big problem is we don't discuss anything here this is a big topic and it just goes ignored by most. Is there a new forum i am not aware of this is being discussed or has everybody lost their passion for trials?

The topic is being discussed extensively here

from what i read on FIM, the reasoning behind this was to level the playing field for the riders that havnt won or cant beat top riders...

Don't know where you've read that, but it is not the case. The change has been put forward to encourage more riders to enter which will apparently sell more bikes. Nobody has yet come up with a satisfactory explanation as to how no-stop in the WTC equates to selling more bikes.