Cloudy Gear Oil

nige02

Hi All, I have a 2011 Raga 300, I noticed the trans oil was cloudy, so drained and changed oil, using putoline light gear oil. The last time I used this oil, it went cloudy after about 4 rides. I asked my mate and he said it might have just broken down. So I changed it then and put motul in instead.

Before riding last weekend I'd noticed it had gone cloudy again, so I changed it and put the rest of the putoline in, it's gone cloudy after one ride. I've now put motul in, to see if it goes cloudy after one ride.

Could a seal be the problem, even though the bike is only a year old?!! If it is a seal, which seal is it lightly to be?

Any help would be great fully received.

Cheers Richard.

Never heard about worn shaft on a bike that new. Could be dirt in coolant maybe??

One important thing. Make sure the overflow pipe at the radiator cap isnt clogged. If that happens there will be high pressure in the cooling system, that again pushes coolant through the water pump seal.

-Jan

We also need to clarify "cloudy" because water in oil becomes "foamy" more specifically than just cloudy,

and are you talking white cloudy, or darkly cloudy? how long is your one ride (lol)? I change my oil every 8-10 hours of riding time, usually this means I can practice for 3 weeks, then change the oil for the event, repeat this each month. my oil is golden clear clean, turns slightly black or cloudy with clutch materials I would say, but NOT FOAMY.

My previously used oils were RED and or BLUE, and when red oil got water it was a foamy PINK, and the BLUE became FOAMY LIGHTER BLUE when water was in them.

So are we talking the same here?

Edited by sting32

Had a look down the filler cap and I can just about see the fluid down the hole. How high should the level be, would it be close to the top by the cap?

You can fill it up to the top and it it will find the correct level by spitting the excess out

I'm going to change the water pump seal, thanks Laser1 for the video.

Got a full weekend of trials this weekend, is it advisable to ride and fix the problem next week?

Don't want to do any permanent damage, but was thinking of filling up coolant and comparing the level after the weekend to confirm it is the WP seal?!

To ride or not to ride?!!!!

While plenty of folks have ridden longer than they should with a WP leak - its really not advisable. Its a very easy job to do. Get the parts and get her done! Will take 30 minutes max! probably 1/2 of that the next time you do it. Jan's clogged Overflow pipe is one thing to check before you rip into her, but that aside, I would fix it and get some fresh gear lube/atf into her. The gear oil also lubricates the main crank bearings on the pro - hence why its better to be safe than sorry. The antifreeze / water can also effect the clutch pak fiber material as well.

If you cant get the parts, and have to ride - I would at least change the oil before each day of riding. (Me and many of my buddies carry a spare WP rebuild kit - so ask around at the riding grounds. Most riders will let you replace there spare as long as you have one on the way) Chances are the guy with the spare could show you how to change it it under 10 minutes.

I'd also check one other thing. The Breather tube. On ours after the breather "nipple" was broken I noticed it bubbled a lot. On checking the tube connected to the nipple it had a "hole" in it. I snipped some off the bottom and the problem went away.

Hi All, to give you an update on the cloudy oil situation, it was the shaft all along, I took it out Thursday night an it was worn to hell!!!

All sorted now, easy fix in the end!

Thanks again to all who replied to my problem, much appreciated.

Cheers Richard.