Ty175 Crankcase/clutch Cover Replacement (Yz/it)

badmotofo

I keep coming back to the idea of replacing the stock right-side crankcase cover with a single-piece unit from a YZ or IT. I've seen pictures of bikes with this mod and love the clean look. A while back I found some info on this but could not currently locate the thread. I remember that, as the YZ/IT motors changed, one model's cover was a direct fit while others needed to be modified (JB welded and filed - I've never had great results with JB weld). Has anyone out there done this modification? Does anyone know which model of YZ or IT would bolt right on?

Thanks,

The cover that bolts right on fits 1974- 77 yz125, 1976 yz125x, 1976 YZ175, 1976-79 YZ100. PART ## is 537-15431-01-00, there is a casiting number 537 inside the cover.

Covers with casting number 1W1 will fit bit need a lot of modification!!!

• Like 1

You can use the YZ 125cc clutch cover from the 1975 model. They do show up on E-Bay USA.

These fit spot on, like here seen.

For the others, - in own experience, as I accidently bought first the wrong one-, you would have

to modify the engine inerta, here the pin that holds the kickstarter spring and maybe the spring too?

Luckily I have got another - the right - clutch case as I did not want to change anything to

the kickstart mechanism.

P1110593.JPG

Edited by pschrauber
  • Like 1

I keep coming back to the idea of replacing the stock right-side crankcase cover with a single-piece unit from a YZ or IT. I've seen pictures of bikes with this mod and love the clean look. A while back I found some info on this but could not currently locate the thread. I remember that, as the YZ/IT motors changed, one model's cover was a direct fit while others needed to be modified (JB welded and filed - I've never had great results with JB weld). Has anyone out there done this modification? Does anyone know which model of YZ or IT would bolt right on?

Thanks,

The original thread is hard to find on this subject, have a look here http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/32439-before-and-after/page__p__247441__hl__%2Bty175+%2Bclutch+%2Bcover__fromsearch__1#entry247441

• 4 years later...

i know this is an old thread, but i had a customer of mine ask about getting a nice 76 yz125 clutch cover for his TY175. i located him a really nice one, but it was too expensive.  my question is this. if i was to get that yz125 cover, part number 537-15431-01, send it to one of the factories that makes some of our custom parts & had them reproduce that cover,i could probably specify the mods to be done so that its a bolt on part or leave that hole blind so that that cover could be used on a yz125 or a TY175 easily. would many people be interested in that part? it would be exact, down to the word magnesium & the oil cc's. just no yamaha tuning fork casting on the inside. or i could reproduce the TY175 cover, but i feel that i would not sell enough of those. where the YZ cover would fit all the yz's and the TY, i could sell enough to not loose money. 

i think that if i felt good about selling 40-60 of them, this is something i could make happen. i already carry a lot of random, obsolete parts that my brother and I had made. i  just want to judge if this is something that would be well taken. let me know what you think. even if its that im an idiot for even thinking about  it.. i dont know what the price point would be. off the top of my head on the low volume side (40 pieces) they would be $200 maybe? and at the higher (60+) quantity side, they would be $150? i would own the mold so that more could be poured if i sold out, but also owning the mold costs a decent amount. any ideas or input would be great. lee

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, theoldstuff said:

Is there a similar mod for the 250 engine that anyone knows of? 

There is no cover from another Yamaha model that fits the TY250 because the TY250 motor has a unique engine inner casing design. I have a theory that the TY250 design was arrived at to have the kickstart shaft as high as possible, to allow for a decent arc before the kickstart lever hits the footpeg. The other Yamaha 250 dirt bike models at the time (which were designed years before they started thinking about making a trials bike) had their footpegs much further forward and lower down relative to the motor. Having a high kickstart shaft meant they could have a reliable and long-lasting kickstart lever and knuckle arrangement on the TY250 that greatly outlasts the TY175 (compromise) design

• Like 1

any guess if it would surpass the 50 quantity mark? thats the mark i will need to hit in order to make enough to make it worthwhile. if you had a nos "537" cover i could buy it would be much better as the nicer the item is to start the nicer the item coming out will be. i have a nos 1W1 clutch cover that i could trade with some cash, or could give you a used "537" cover & cash and or some free covers in the future... i may not need nos, but since this is looking promising, now is the time to start searching. i have 2 good "537" covers coming & 1 cracked one & 1 nos "1W1".  so far, the input has been really good. i may need to do all the mods so that it can be cast exact.. is there anyone out there who is really good at modding the yz cover?  i sent a message to bestrcpilot but from what i can see he has not been on the board in a while.

If you're serious you could talk to the guys at TYTrials and Yamaha Majesty to see if they would buy into it.

It's certainly something I'd be tempted to get if it were available! (though not right now as I have many other things to spend money on in my TY rebuild)