290 2008

heymak

Hi,Sherco 290 2008,I got it about 3 months ago 1st trials bike, but riden friends trials bikes also had motocross and road bikes for 20 years,getting to grips with things or trying and progressing ok,

Can anyone sugest any upgrades or mods tips or tweeks that are worth doing on the bike,must be some ,the bike is standard.anyone use a slow throttle or ,any susspensoin set up tips for a 12stone rider,etc,would be apprciated,also any problems to look out for with sherco or this model

the bike was a good buy from a friend who kept it well maintained and low usage,reg oil changes and lubed up,runs really good,

my kids got an oset electric trials so we go out to Low North Nr Scarborough when we can,

Regards

Slow action throttle is deffo worth trying, especially when learning as it gives you a ittle more feel/control at lower revs. (I still use one now after many years of riding)

It's worth stripping, cleaning and re-greasing the linkage, otherwise replacing these bearings is quite expensive.

At 12 stone I personally would keep the suspension set to standard, it is a pretty good versatile setting, especially when your learning and to be fair good enough for most levels of ability. I had a friend increase his rebound settings so he could hop it a little easier, but then when it came to riding an actual section he was bouncing off everything and out of control.... it was funny to watch but not helpful for his score!

hope this helps a little

Hi,Sherco 290 2008,I got it about 3 months ago 1st trials bike, but riden friends trials bikes also had motocross and road bikes for 20 years,getting to grips with things or trying and progressing ok,

Can anyone sugest any upgrades or mods tips or tweeks that are worth doing on the bike,must be some ,the bike is standard.anyone use a slow throttle or ,any susspensoin set up tips for a 12stone rider,etc,would be apprciated,also any problems to look out for with sherco or this model

the bike was a good buy from a friend who kept it well maintained and low usage,reg oil changes and lubed up,runs really good,

my kids got an oset electric trials so we go out to Low North Nr Scarborough when we can,

Regards

A lot of this depends upon what you prefer. Many new riders say the 2.9 is too aggressive for their taste, and although you are an experienced rider, you just gotta figure out your comfort level.

Slow throttles are used by many to tame things a bit, my standard recco next would be reducing the ignition timing on the stator plate by 3-4mm counter rotation(relate that to as many degrees) which has a smoothing effect.

See how you get on, there are other things.

I have the same bike, Has been a very good bike for me. The stock bike has more power than I will ever need, but I got the S3 titanium pipe for it, and found a slight but noticable increase in power throuout, in particular right off of idle and near the top of the RPM range. Definately not nessessary but it is a option.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

When i started riding trials (ex-enduro) i mistakenly felt "impressed" by sharp power and minimal damping (wheelies, hopping etc.)

As time, experience and initialy lots of poor results passed... i realised that minute control of the bike was the key to good results.

Since that time, i have seen the light and made some mods to a standard bike.

• Got the carburation correct so its not blubbery or snatchy, especialy during transition from idle to low revs.
  • I fitted a Keihin carb which i found more "tunable" and precice than the Dellorto originally fitted.
  • Fitted a flywheel weight to help reduce stalling as well as reduce sharp pickup, helping grip and stability.
  • Slow action throttle.
  • Gearing to reflect real competition use rather than road use
  • Fitted new tyres
  • Adjusted and fettled the clutch to give a really gradual bite
  • Got all the controls, pedals, throttle freeplay, handlebar position etc. exactly right.

All these things help and i really feel at home on the bike.

90% of all sections for novices aren't hopping, wheelies etc., they are basic control exercises.

Glad you're on the right path earlier than i was.

Dom