First Scorpa After 5 Years Off Trials

adamspad5

Although i started riding trials years ago, im only just getting back into riding after a 5 year break for the sport. It was boxing day of last year when i went to watch my local Manchester 17s Boxing day trial that i decided that the bikes were to be cleaned of cobwebs and once again ridden. So in January this year, i dusted of my old mans 99 Gassa 250, and my brothers 03 Rev3 270 and took them out for a ride accompanied with my old man. After a half hour we were both knackered and heading home as the gassa was giving us problems. After a top end rebuild, the bike completly stripped, cleaned and plastics painted ( i work in a bodyshop) and new decals i had full confidence in the bike and was well up for riding again. After a couple of rides i decided it was the Beta's turn for the same treatment as the mains were sounding terrible and the bike just looked old and shabby. Engine out, mains renewed, and i managed to pick up a full set of 04 plastics off fleabay at a good price, the bike now looks and sounds the part ! The only problem being my younger brother has now moved back home and decided he would also like to get back into the sport.

After a couple of trials riding the gassa with my old man watching from the sides i decided that i was to have a bike of my own once again. I have ridden Gas Gas for years and althought the build quality isnt that great, ours had never given us much trouble, and ride great. I just cant seem to get on with the Rev3, it looks good, plenty of power, good build, but just doesnt ride how i want it to, and when i get off an old gassa onto the Beta it feels like a jump backwards in time ! I decided that i was going to have a Scorpa SY, completly on a whim and the hope that it will be good !

After scouting the local ads and ebay for the past few weeks i found a 02 SY, local which looked tidy at a good price. after the usual messing around with offers and ebay messaging, i agreed to view the bike with intent to buy. I set off Saturday, with a borrowed van and cash in my pocket, only to receive a call from the seller who is now advising me that he has got to nip out and will leave somebody with the bike and docs for me to view, 10 mins later he calls again to advise he has just tried starting the bike and the carb must have some muck in it as it wont run very well, although he is negotiable for this. at this stage im not very happy, but being nearly half way there i decide to carry on regardless. When i get there and look at the bike, its really tidy. Starts her up and i hear the mains rumbling a bit, although it wont run for long enough for me to check properly never mind ride it to see how it feels. I check the to docs and find its actually a road reg'd 04 bike, with lights, spares, all reciepts, datatags and logbook. This is good news by now as im looking for a reason to take this bike home with me. After much negotiation and foot stamping, i started loading up my new bike along with a pair of boots and helmet he has thrown in along with change in my back pocket, i set off back home a happy man.

Stripped the rear end off, clean plug, and adjust needle and i have a bike that runs. It will need the float hieght adjusting at weekend as it stalls very easy when stood upright and needle is at its highest point, its just not getting enough fuel as it needs. Im hoping to ride the bike this weekend before taking on the mains and plastics later this month so im back running for boxing day.

Ive added a couple of pics so you guys can see. i do need a little help on a couple of things. the bike has 08 tank stickers on at the mo and im not sure if the mudgaurds and frame colour is right for the year if somebody could advise ? Also if anybody has done the mains and knows of the bearing number it would be much appreciated as this will save me lots of pennies compared to genuine parts. The side stand is pretty rubbish ? is there anyway of making this any better ?

KGrHqFk8FBnjbtlJBQtgIGcjg60_12.jpg

T2eC16FyUE9s6NEHgfBQtgIBFyhg60_12.jpg

KGrHqViMFCeylWzTBQtgH7lgV60_12.jpg

Hi. That's my old bike. I sold it to a bloke in derby about 3 year ago. I had the frame powder coated but its not quite the correct shade of blue but looks alright. It looks like the mudguards have been change as when I saw it on ebay advertised by the guy I sold it to it was as I sold it with blue front and white rear. I ran the bike for 3year and never let me down once. I've got a Tyz now which has the same engine. Just recently rebuilt the engine, do not separate the head from the barrel as that gasket is 80quid! The main bearings from Yamaha are quite expensive so I just went to a bearing shop and got exactly the same for 20 quid the pair. When your in there you might as well do the crank seals, they are not expensive for genuine yam ones. Have fun.

• 2 weeks later...