Throttle Bearing

shercoben12

Hi

I am trying to make my throttle lighter . I've tried oiling the throttle tube doesn't make too much difference.

Found theese - would they make much difference in making it lighter?

http://www.trialendurodirect.com/products/Throttle_bearings_726.html

http://www.trialsuk.co.uk/products/gas-gas-raga-throttle-body-bearing

http://www.trialsuk.co.uk/products/jitsie-throttle-pulley-and-bearing-set

Thanks in advance

Ben

Which bike and carb?

Are you talking Lighter or Smoother? A bearing will not neccessarily make it lighter, as you gotta trim off 2-3 rungs off the return spring to do that. Carefull though, as it is less likely to return if any dirt sticks it!

I would say make sure the cable run has no kinks or just badly routed.

Give it an oil too,I use 3 in 1,

I assume the throttle is a domino plastic type and once they've done a bit work it's hard to get them really clean.

For £15 you could get a new one.

I'd try these before cutting.

Cheers.

Which bike and carb?

Are you talking Lighter or Smoother? A bearing will not neccessarily make it lighter, as you gotta trim off 2-3 rungs off the return spring to do that. Carefull though, as it is less likely to return if any dirt sticks it!

Gas Gas whith dellorto

I would say make sure the cable run has no kinks or just badly routed.

Give it an oil too,I use 3 in 1,

I assume the throttle is a domino plastic type and once they've done a bit work it's hard to get them really clean.

For £15 you could get a new one.

I'd try these before cutting.

Cheers.

done exacly that -except a new throttle would it make much difference?

thanks

ben

by cutting about 2-3 rungs of is there a big chance of it sticking or is it very small

also found out about the jitsie throttle cables - "the jisie throttlecables have a teflon coating inside the cable housing elimenating all possible friction and results in an unmathched throttle feeling" sounds good :closedeyes:

this and cutting a few rungs of the spring will surley make it feel sooo nice and light :star: jitsie cable now on my list.

thanks,

ben

by cutting about 2-3 rungs of is there a big chance of it sticking or is it very small

also found out about the jitsie throttle cables - "the jisie throttlecables have a teflon coating inside the cable housing elimenating all possible friction and results in an unmathched throttle feeling" sounds good :closedeyes:

this and cutting a few rungs of the spring will surley make it feel sooo nice and light :star: jitsie cable now on my list.

thanks,

ben

Ben, none of this is approved, it is all experimental to individual taste and results. The factory spring is made to do the job in all but the worst cases of contamination.

As an example, some pro riders may choose to do things like this, yet it is also common for them to clean carb and airbox after every ride! The maintenance becomes more critical you see, as to Not have issues.

If indeed you are bound to try this, then take all to heed! The springs are wound with a finish wind on the ends, not sure the name for this, but the last wrap of spring is only half effective because it is wound flat. So to count, start at the end, go one turn, then two, and that is where you snip the spring.

The spring will no longer have the flatwound end, thus I believe the (shop) end should go towards the top as to not interfere with anything.

Two rungs will make a little difference, three will make more. I would not go beyond that.

Add, I do not support any of this nonsense! (although I may yet do my own on the new bike when I get around to it)

post-36-0-04359900-1355375018_thumb.jpg

I bet you bars are scored as well. only way to make it feel new is to replace parts, bars throttle tube, throttle cable and even in extreme circumstances the carb slide as well.

One great trick is to get a cable oiler Link below. just use WD40 or GT85 and plenty of it, it really makes a difference to the throttle.

I don't use any lube between the throttle and the bars, absolutely dry.use oil and it gets dirt in and becomes grinding paste. Just was it out with water, dry and replace.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BIKE-IT-MOTORCYCLE-MOTORBIKE-MOTO-X-MX-DUAL-CABLE-LUBRICATOR-CLAMP-OILER-TOOL-/230706729096?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item35b7315088&_uhb=1

Don't cut your spring. You will gain nothing except for a spring that is inefficient.

Shortening a spring by cutting its coils off actually increases the spring rate!

I can't understand why anyone would want to make a throttle lighter, they are light enough!

You must have a cable problem or done other issue.

How does the feel of your throttle compare to other bikes of the same type?

I agree with the posts that include a worn out throttle tube. It can just feel terrible. And yes I have seen it so bad that you should replace the bars since the wear grooves are so deep that a good sanding will not fix. Yes you should lube the throttle cable and absolutely dry on the throttle tube.

As for the spring it is a personable feel. Myself i have never cut my own, but have considered it. (I`ve had some crazy stuck throttles thru the years!) My son`s bike has a spring that has been cut. It works like a dream. (Previous owner cut the spring.) He actually brags about it! It will not make it work wrong(unless you cut too much). So take this step by step, fix your problems and also set your bike up for your personal preferences!

Good luck and have fun!D

I run a Hebo bearing throttle, use powered Graphite (lock lube) in the tube and Silicone spray inside the throttle housing. Always very smooth and the bar ends are quite stout and saved my grips several times. I never ran the standard bar ends, although I would have liked to, because junk always got in the throttle tube but the bearing ends seal out dirt very well.

Don't cut your spring. You will gain nothing except for a spring that is inefficient.

Shortening a spring by cutting its coils off actually increases the spring rate!

I can't understand why anyone would want to make a throttle lighter, they are light enough!

Debate this all you like, as I am no springologist, yet I can tell you a couple things.

The spring rates are set by the carb manufacturer. There are differences. As example, I find the rate on my new bike with a standard dellorto to be somewhat greater than my old bike with the Oko or Kiehin installed. Not of great importance, yet it is there, which is why I may decide to soften it a bit.

The rate of the spring is a constant throughout its length and increases with compression. In a captured spring with a lot of preload such as this, shortening does reduce the total force of the spring at a given distance traveled as you have reduced the preload and the total force required..

We are talking force here, not smoothness. For smoothness, the majority of the other tips apply.

I have considered the bearing ends such as the Hebo that Axulsuv refers to, and they look good on paper. Question here is, does the endcap rotate with the throttle? If so, I find that a big turn off, as one of the things I dislike is a throttle that will get pinned in a crash, as it what happens with a standard throttle and grip exposed to the ground with a standard grip. I prefer a fixed bar end to hopefully prevent this, and it has worked soo far.

Yes, I do run a bit of oil on the tube, and yes dirt may get in, but not for long as this is just another occasional cleaning based upon conditions and any indication of roughness and BEFORE damage occurs to the bars and such. My tolerances on setup are very tight to prevent this dirt entry. As we are more dry here, dust is more the issue.

The pic will show about 2mm clearance from the grip to the bar end. What it does not show is the 1mm clearance to the actual throttle tube. Given that these components are new, they work very smoothly, and will for a long time if taken care of.

post-36-0-13085900-1355459692_thumb.jpg

Edited by copemech

Yup been through these experiments a few times......

DONOT lube the throttle/grip tube! None. Zero. Zip.

DO NOT lube the throttle cable! None. Zero. Zip.

Clean the dirt out of the throttle tube often.

Honestly it runs a heap smoother for a lot longer with out the oil lube.