What Did You Do To Your Gas Gas Today?

shipdamite

hi all,

in a similar vein to 'show us your gas gas'

I thought that it might be good to have a 'what did you do to your gas gas' section.

I freely admit that i have taken this from the uk ktm forum! it seems to be a useful thread and has been in existence for several years with many hundreds of postings. On the ktm forum it is a useful exchange of ideas and I hope that it could be the same on this forum.

so, I will start:

2005 txt pro

today I cleaned up my brake calipers etc and whilst the wheels were out, I picked off the wheel bearing covers and repacked the bearings with outboard motor grease.

I also made some (hopefully bomb proof) bar ends with - from the outside in - bolts / washers (the diamer of the grips) / rubber pipe / nut........ put it in the bar end, tighten, and the nut compresses and expands the rubber pipe, securing it in the handle bar.

This will hopefully stop the throttle from jamming up with sh*t - as a newb, the bike gets chucked away a lot at the mo ;-]

finally, rear fender held on with skinny cable ties so they break first.

cheers

Andrew

as the bike was finally working and not in bits :wall: i went out and had a great day at the edmcc trial :closedeyes: almost impossible conditions but hey..... it just fun :hyper:

the bike ran great for once and i had a great day out:)

thanks to the guys at the club for being so helpful and friendly.

ben :madnoel:

hi all,

in a similar vein to 'show us your gas gas'

I thought that it might be good to have a 'what did you do to your gas gas' section.

I freely admit that i have taken this from the uk ktm forum! it seems to be a useful thread and has been in existence for several years with many hundreds of postings. On the ktm forum it is a useful exchange of ideas and I hope that it could be the same on this forum.

so, I will start:

2005 txt pro

today I cleaned up my brake calipers etc and whilst the wheels were out, I picked off the wheel bearing covers and repacked the bearings with outboard motor grease.

I also made some (hopefully bomb proof) bar ends with - from the outside in - bolts / washers (the diamer of the grips) / rubber pipe / nut........ put it in the bar end, tighten, and the nut compresses and expands the rubber pipe, securing it in the handle bar.

This will hopefully stop the throttle from jamming up with sh*t - as a newb, the bike gets chucked away a lot at the mo ;-]

finally, rear fender held on with skinny cable ties so they break first.

cheers

Andrew

I like your bar ends idea some Stainless Steel bolts would look bling if you're considering a mark II version.

Instead of Skinny cable ties I use plastic registration plate nuts + bolts as they will shear easier and save the the expensive fender.

We share the same skills for jamming throttle tubes up with crud I have to clean mine very often.

neat idea on the stainless............ i was thinking that a mkll version could have some domed hex bolts (they are round head captives, filed down to take an 8mm spanner at the mo).

neat idea on the no. plate bolts too........... i use a no. plate bolt on the centre fixing already - so its ok for all three fixings; weak enough to shear?

The other day I replaced the front number plate, as the original was trashed. Then I pulled the rear fender, which has been cracked all season, and did an frankenstein stitching job on it with a small drill bit and thin wire. Covered the stitching wtih some heavy duty duct tape and then striped it to match with black electrical tape. Doesn't look too bad for a frankenfix! :closedeyes:

Figured I would fix the fender rather than put on the new one I have in a drawer, since like shipdamite, I toss the bike frequently enough as a beginner that if I put on a new fender, it's gonna just get busted first thing. That seems to be the karma of things. You ride forever with a broken part with no issues, but as soon as you replace it, you goof up and break the new piece.

Fender attached with small zipties as well. But mine are red to match the bike! :rolleyes:

Oh...and last time I was in the garage, I did some static balancing on the bike. Won't be able to ride much soon, as the snow is coming here and the winter off season is around the corner. :o

Sometime this winter I need to pull the forks and replace the seals too.

Edited by purplebeast

It's been trying to snow here today, but mostly just a cold rain. So, I cleaned the air filter. I replaced those cable ties for the rear fender that broke during my last ride. My bike gets chucked away a lot too, Shipdamite. Some days, I get more exercise picking the bike up than I do riding. Good thing they're light bikes, huh?

Oiled the chain, cleaned a little here & there, and put more new zip-ties on the frame guards.

Then, I put the air in the back tire at 5 lbs. and the front tire at almost 6 lbs., and did balancing practice inside my barn. The barn has decent lights with a concrete floor, so next practiced hopping the front wheel. Kinda like sex, I was tired after doing that for 5 minutes, & put everything away for the day......

Jimmie

I walked past my new to me 2003 300 (as I understand first year for the 300) in the garage and gazed lovingly at her and imagined all the things I wanted to do while riding her. And like Mr. Neutron 5 minutes later I was tired and breathing heavily, went back in the house.

I have ridden the bike twice as a put put around and in a 2 day event that was very rainy and I loved the way it rode. Of course going from a 2000 Sherco 2.9 to a 2003 Gas Gas 300 pro I will have some adjustment time, but I love the motor. I may gear down my sprockets a tooth or two when I need new chain and sprockets. Things seem to happen just a hair bit too fast. I need to figure out why the rear tire is loosing air way too fast. (I suspect I need a new rim strip) Change some fluids, clean air filter and I am good to go. I am considering putting on short levers, I had some on the Sherco I really liked them on that.

• Like 2

Morning/Evening

reassuring to see that its not just me that is picking the bike up fairly regularly; this I dont mind - until I broke the kickstart a couple of weeks back!

good idea on the short levers; I run them on my orange bike in the photo, although they are 'home made' - I had a set of broken levers (where they break on the snap line) so i heated some plastic pipe over the levers, then filed down the ends......... nice and short and grippy with the plastic covering. stock just seem way too long, more specially when you run handguards.

As with the enduro bike, I run my gassers levers loose so I can adjust the position on the fly and so they don't break when I chuck the bike.

neat idea on the stainless............ i was thinking that a mkll version could have some domed hex bolts (they are round head captives, filed down to take an 8mm spanner at the mo).

neat idea on the no. plate bolts too........... i use a no. plate bolt on the centre fixing already - so its ok for all three fixings; weak enough to shear?

I have involuntarily tested the Plastic bolts and they did the job :thumbup: though I have got a steel one in the centre position so I may change it but as we know its the side ones that do the most damage.

• Like 1