2012 St290 Leaking Gear Oil

danny sherco

Was out yesterday when I noticed gear oil leaking off the sumpgard checked oil drain bolt this is ok but cannot see were its coming from as the rubber protection is in the way. Also think the bike has burned some of this as the manifold was oozing black oil this has never happened before as I only run the bike on 75 to1 mix. Would like to know ur thoughts on this as the bike was new in July!!!

Thanks in advance

Danny

I change the oil regular every 10 hrs using the recommended 450 ml and never had this problem I'm thinking maby a gasket of some description will take the bike to the trialstore in the new year but would like all of your thoughts before I do and if any one has had this problem with there 2012 sherco

Hi Danny

it sounds very like the gearbox breather has pushed out some oil. This is something that many Sherco owners have experienced and may not be a serious issue. There are various causes:-

• Overfilled gearbox (need only be slightly overfilled).
  • Gearbox being pressurised (usualy clutch side crank seal).
  • Bike tipped over for a period of time.

The breather allows the gearbox to vent to atmosphere to ensure no pressure / vacuum buildup. It is expected that at some point during warmup the gearbox will try to push some air out. If the oil level is covering the breather hole it will displace oil rather than air.

So the next step is to find out if it is the crank seal or not. have a search on this as many people have written how to check.

Dom

Edited by dombush

Ive not got a sherco but know a few people that have had the 2012 model who have had that problem.

The problem was that when riding the bike and landing on the sump it would push force up through the rubber which would in turn push the clutch casing up causing the casing to move and leak oil out the bottom.

The solution was to cut the rubber on the clutch casing side so that it didnt sit under the clutch casing itself just under the engine.

Hope that helps.

Thanks both, coxy when this happened to your mate's bike did it damage any gaskets or was it as simple as cutting away the rubber protection? My bike seems to bee losing a quite a bit of oil but what you say makes sense as I v been learning how to Jap sap and have hit the bash plate more than usually lol

From what i remember it also damaged the casing gasket. Best thing i would say to do is to check it or put a new one on for the small price which a gasket costs and then cut the rubber down so it doesnt happen again.

You will need to inspect the gasket as Coxy suggested, however is is also possible that you actually bent or distorted the clutch side cover so the sealing surfaces no longer match well in the thin gasket section on the bottom of the motor.

If this is indeed the case, the ali can be straightened with a bit of heat and gentle persuasion using something like an adjustable spanner to sort of pull the section back into position and hopefully without cracking the metal, however this may only work once or twice as the metal fatigues.

It does work, as I have seen this done as a field repair by a Basher I know! After all, it is a skid plate, not a landing pad! :beer::wall:

when i had my sherco the first time i changed the gear oil i put in 450mls... started it up and rode around and oil was dripping off of the bashplate!

phoned the bike dealer and they said that unless you get ALL of the oil out which is almost impossible whithout sucking it out somehow ,if you put 450mls in it will leak which is what happened! so they recomend about 400mls.

but here this does not seem to be the case. so i hope this helps others:)

• 6 months later...

I experienced the same thing end of the last season with my 2012 ST 2.9. Oil started to drip and I found that the clutch casing did not align with the neither engine casing nor the clutch cover. I used one convex and one concave wooden block and a vise to press it back to its original shape. I also took away some of the rubber and filled the gap with a piece soft dishrag to keep the muck out.

This spring it happen again and thought, this can't be right... So I contacted the dealer and got the information that the 2013 skid plate is reinforced and the rubber is also softer. Obviously Sherco has seen this issue and made a change to 2013.

As seen in the picture, the new skid plate is thicker than the old one. The old was 5mm thick and the new one is 6mm.

Keep in mind that you need to reduce about 250g of body weight to compensate for the increase weight of the new plate if you're upgrading! :hyper:

post-16122-0-21576400-1374182260_thumb.jpg

I had the same problem with my current 2012 bike, the casing for the clutch side got bent. I pressed it back with help from Chris at splatshop. Did the Scottish on it a week later and it has been fine ever since.

I was really suprised by how hard the rubber was inbetween.

I experienced the same thing end of the last season with my 2012 ST 2.9. Oil started to drip and I found that the clutch casing did not align with the neither engine casing nor the clutch cover. I used one convex and one concave wooden block and a vise to press it back to its original shape. I also took away some of the rubber and filled the gap with a piece soft dishrag to keep the muck out.

This spring it happen again and thought, this can't be right... So I contacted the dealer and got the information that the 2013 skid plate is reinforced and the rubber is also softer. Obviously Sherco has seen this issue and made a change to 2013.

As seen in the picture, the new skid plate is thicker than the old one. The old was 5mm thick and the new one is 6mm.

Keep in mind that you need to reduce about 250g of body weight to compensate for the increase weight of the new plate if you're upgrading! :hyper:

Thanks for sharing the picture. Not easy to find out when Sherco does change/upgrade a part but keeps the same part number! (skid plate is listed as #3583 for both 2012 and 2013)

Same thing goes for the clutch cover, part# 3130 since 2011 but the 2013 is supposedly about 2.5mm thicker.

My clutch casing was almost touching my clutch basket as you can see on the picture.

I was able to fix the bend from the casing, nothing perfect but not more oil drip. The skid plate was also bent as the picture shows, pressed it back as well to relief some stress for upcoming impacts...

Trying to be more gentle but sometimes you can't avoid some kind of landings :) For sure I don't have the best riding technique but still, it never happened to me before on any other bike.

Considering upgrading to the new (2013) parts for peace of mind.

So Danny Sherco: not 100% sure your problem is there, but it's the first area I would check.

2012_clutch_case_2.jpg

3130_clutch_case_difference.jpg