Pre 65 Scotland Where Can You Go On Bike If Anywhere.

barnettbob

Have a read of this article - particularly the end of it.

I can't find the article now, but one year I published photos of muppets who thought it was okay to go where they wanted and do what they pleased. I've stuck to roadside sections in recent years, but were I to wander off-road I'd have no hesitation in shaming again.

As Johnny said - walk where you want to go, enjoy the scenery and people will be grateful you've done so :)

I was thinking of giving up a weeks holiday to come and observe for this and the six days and was wondering what sort of cost would be involved with hotels etc, not worried about fuel expenses as i would have a plod (grin) up on my road bike. Any info would be appreciated

Hi Neil, for the pre-65 there are plenty of sections to view within a few mins walk of the main roads and Pipeline itself is only a 25 min walk from the main paddock car park in Kinlochleven.

It is even possible to ride up to the Mamore Lodge car park on your road bike and walk the odd mile to the sections along the Mamore road, as many do. From personal experience though I can only suggest you look at the Mamore Lodge on "Trip Advisor.com" if you should consider staying there.

If you offer to observe, as I have in the past, let them know you can only do the more accessible sections.

Regarding accommodation, I suggest getting it booked asap (ie, now) as it fills up quickly but expect to pay a premium during trials week...I think I'm paying about £55pn for bed and breakfast in Onich.

I have in the past taken my 400 Beta trail bike up in the van and enjoyed a few days touring with friends who observe or compete prior to the pre-65 so if you fancy joining us let me know. We tend to get up there the Monday before the trial and trek off for the odd day around the Moidart peninsular, Skye or Mull and one year got up as far as Applecross.. which is a b.. long way on a trail bike!

Edited by westyfield7

The last I saw of the Mamore Lodge it was shut and decomposing. I'd be very surprised if anyone had put money on to this white elephant in the current financial climate.

The SSDT website will give the contact if you want to observe.

Access laws in Scotland are such that, if you want to go further off road than walking will allow, then you are allowed to go virtually anywhere on a mountain bike. There really is no need to cause problems by taking a motorcycle anywhere other than the public highway.