Tyres For A Ty175

tog

Hi,

New to the forum and trials riding.

I have just bought a TY175 which still had it's original tyres from 1979! I'm struggling to find any UK suppliers which actually have suitable replacment tyres in stock. I believe that IRC and Michelin make suitable tyres but can anyone suggest a supplier?

From reading other posts I don't think I can fit tubless tyres with a tube as they don't seat proberly?

Maybe I am not understanding the issue. Is this a competion eligibilIty question in the UK, or just a question of what tires will work?

I run modern tires on my '74 TY250. I have used both tube and tubeless type on the old rims - I still use a tube and rim locks. I did the same thing when I had a TY175 in the past.

Thats_a_five,

In the UK, all tyre retailers seem to be currently out of stock of twinshock specific tyres. IRC still make them but Michelin have stopped production.

I have been told that the modern tubless tyres will fit to Bultaco's & Montesa's etc but on the Japanese TY175 rims the tubeless bead will initially seat when the tyre is inflated until hard, but once the tyre is lowered back to a typical trials pressure they jump back off the bead. Again from reading other posts tubless tyres seem to need the bead grinding back to fit the TY!

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/43140-michelin-x-light-on-a-twinshock/page__p__314517__hl__tyres#entry314517

I have contacted Trail & Trials and they are getting some IRC's in towards the end of Jan so I will have to wait until then.

Try woosters in Leeds, best guys for tyres in the country, and they have large stocks of IRC tyres at a decent price, I tried a tubeless tyre on my TY YAM but it just kept falling off the rim, it was an X11 and as soon as you dropped to a useable pressure for sections it just went into middle of rim.

(I have now got a tubeless rim to lace to a spare wheel so that I have choice of tubeless or tubed depending on where and what trial I am riding)

8psi is way too high for trials, so it's not giving an indication of whether the tyre will hold onto the bead at trials pressures which are between 3 and 5psi.

At 8psi the tube is probably still fat enough to keep the sidewall out. On the Yam rims, after fitting and blowing out onto the rim, when letting down to the required pressure I found that once the pressure came down to about 9 - 10psi it dropped in.

The Dunlops have the stiffest sidewalls but don't seem to grip too well with a tube in (in mud at least) I had a tubeless Dunlop on a tubeless rim on my 340 Bultaco which gripped fine. I then had a problem with the spokes leaking so had to fit a tube for a while and it was a different bike with less grip. No idea why that should be but it was.

I think with the Yam rims, the safest bet with a tubeless tyre is to remove the edge of the bead to mirror a tube tyre as suggested by others who have done it

Yes, two rimlocks didn't stop a section of it dropping off.

I'm sure I've read on here or maybe seen at trials Yams with tubeless tyres being used, but I've never been able to get one to stay fully seated and that's on a TY twinshock and mono and a KT250.

There is one way around it and that's the tubliss system. It works as I used it to fit a tubeless IRC to the KT but they are a bit of a fiddle when it comes to changing or turning the tyre - not as bad as fitting a mouse to an enduro bike though...

Designed primarily for motox but works just as well in a trials bike

http://www.tubliss.co.uk/.

Not cheap but cheaper than converting a wheel to a tubeless rim

Has anyone who has had a tubeless tire come off been using two rimlocks?

I am on my second "hand me down" Michelin comp x-ll tubeless on my ty250 twinshock with a tube and running at 4-5 lbs and sometimes so low I can not get a reading and I have never had any problems with it breaking the bead or seating. I have 2 rim locks which I assume came standard on them.