Evo 290. Ignition Timing

myzeneye

Hi again folks....

Riding yesterday and my bike kicked back harder then you could imagine, caught me on the top of my left foot. It hit so hard it cut through the leather of my diadora's and left me whining like a girl......

I rode on for another hour or so but felt something wasn't right...... Today, my whole foot has swelled and is the most horrible shade of black blue and purpley yellow...... :(

This kick back is deffo due to ignition timing....

Can any one offer any advice on how to retard the timing ?

I've done it before on a sherco I had and it was pretty straight forward.....

Am I right in recalling the puller for my sherco will fit my evo ?

Are there any markings I should look for for setting the staters position ? The sherco wasn't exactly clear so I'm hoping beta have done a better job of making some visible kind of markings...... ;)

Foot looks a real pigs trotter.....

you might find it on the beta web site i seem to think it could be preset only one postion if not turn the stator in the running direction of the flywheel ,if its fixed there could be a problem with the cdi ,, did the kickstart come down when your foot was on the peg

It still kicks over and runs fine, it just had the odd few occasions where it kicked like a mule...... When it bit me, I'm not sure where my foot was and I'm puzzled as to how it struck me on the TOP of the foot ?

If the wood ruff had Sheered, surly I'd have wonky firing and it would be running like a bag of poo? As I say, it starts first kick every kick, runs fine.......

The bike had stood still for a while with its previous owner, and this was my second outing on the bike.. I understand staters don't like standing still.....

Can the timing be altered like I could with my old sherco or is it set and mapped by the two stage Cdi on the evo?

• Like 1

It still kicks over and runs fine, it just had the odd few occasions where it kicked like a mule...... When it bit me, I'm not sure where my foot was and I'm puzzled as to how it struck me on the TOP of the foot ?

If the wood ruff had Sheered, surly I'd have wonky firing and it would be running like a bag of poo? As I say, it starts first kick every kick, runs fine.......

The bike had stood still for a while with its previous owner, and this was my second outing on the bike.. I understand staters don't like standing still.....

Can the timing be altered like I could with my old sherco or is it set and mapped by the two stage Cdi on the evo?

Best I recall, all is very similar to the Sherco, except reversed sides(mirrored) so all else being well, you should likely be able to rotate the stator plate clockwise to retard the timing a bit and eliminate the kickback.

Not sure just how they are marked, but 3-4mm change should be plenty I would think. :beer:

Cheers copey . Gonna open it up later and take a look.....

Foots looking shocking ,!

I have had that happen many years ago, think it was a CR 250 Honda MX bike! Looks like hell and takes forever to go back!

Worst in the last few years drove my knee up into the end of the bars! Near put me down ! :beer:

Hahahha. It's lookin blacker each day..... Can't for the life of me understand how the kick hit the top of my foot though ?

Stripped flywheel off last night and had a look......

Don't think the ign timing is possible to alter on the evo. Reason being, the usual slotted parts off the body which normally allow for the adjustment..... Well, the top two fixings are slotted, but the bottom fixing is not slotted, just a hole, making sure it sits in the one place.

The stator seemed to be fully roasted clockwise anyhow. And there was no room for any further clockwise rotation ,even if said fixing had allowed.

Now, if fully clockwise was fully ADVANCED, it would make sense.... But as you say.... This position is retarded....

Finally insult was the bolt Allen bolt fixing , the Allen key just spun as the lock tight used at factory has set let concrete mixed with steroids.

There was a little but off surface rust on bottom of flywheel which I've successfully removed.... Would this interfere with pickup and affect timing any?

Any one else got any two peneth to add ?

Not being sure about just how likely the newer Betas are to kick back. I know the Sherco's would on occasion, and the older Revs would go off like a gun at times. Presuming there is nothing else actually wrong with the bike, like a daft CDI, the dremel tool to that third fixed hole would be my choice! Don't take much you know!

Do put us up a nice piccy! We have a mate here that did something to his leg a couple years back. Whole thing turned black and blue! Looked horrible! :blush:

As Cope says just rotate the stator with the rotation of the engine...why not take a file to the hole or try it with that sckt. cap left out..check your plug gap also.. After all this bike is Italian made so everything fits where it touches and is generally made of chocalate fudge (sorry lightweight chocolate fudge)..amazing how they ride so well and stay together for so long really.

Ps we have to strip clean and WD40 ours every time we ride or wash them in this climate.....either that or let it do a good impression of a concrete mixer every time it runs.

Thanks for the input guys....

As I say, the stator is currently at its full clockwise rotation. Even if I were to leave the bottom "fixed" Allen bolt off the slotted sections are at their max clockwise rotation....

If this is normal for,the occasional deathly kick back, well ill just get used to being wairy of it and start referring to the bike as chuck Norris jnr. ;)

I'm not overly bothered about trying to soften or calm the bike down any, just prevent it trying to scythe my hoof off.

• 5 months later...

Wondering if kickback occurs because the piston sometimes happens to end up on the compression stroke the last time you turned it off.

It's just a theory....but what if, before you go to start it you put it 2nd gear and pull the bike backwards until you're sure the piston is coming down and not going up? Just get it off the compression stroke...

You then have more momentum built up in your kick as you swing the crank over and the engine gets a chance to fire properly and continue the right direction of rotation.

Edited by theflyingferret

I've never had a Beta kick back like that. Maico yes but not a Beta. Sounds like you might have broken your foot.

I've also never seen a fixed stator. Might be the new norm as the CDI units are all microcontroller based so timing can be set by programming the delay between the trigger signal and firing the SCR that dumps the capacitor to the ignition coil.