Sy250 Exhaust Mid-Box

motojunky

I've been riding my 2002 SY250 for ~2.5 years now and it has always seemed a little on the loud side. It seems like it has gotten progressively worse but I haven't really paid it much attention. The silencer has never been apart and probably has no packing left. Doing a little digging about how to deal with that today, I learned of the somewhat common issue with the mid-box splitting. I took a look tonight and sure enough it is split at the rear, just above the seam. I don't think this is the "normal" place but it will be an easy fix. It's a small split so I'm curious to see how much of a difference it will make in sound and/or performance when fixed.

Does the mid-box contain fiberglass packing like the silencer? The perforated metal interior suggests that it is, but I can't tell for sure. If I'm going to cut apart and repack the silencer, should I do the mid-box too, or just patch it up and call it a day?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...