No Stop Rule

modifier

, weight limits,

I've never heard weight limits being discussed in Trials circles. I have long thought that it would be a simple effective means of controlling both the costs of Trials comp.as well as making the sport more accessible to common folks who can't justify such a specialized machine as a modern trials bike. After all the contest should be about who puts in the best rides rather than who can afford the lightest bike. Modern Trials bikes barely resemble motorcycles anymore and are certainly not usefull for much other trials comp.

Inertia of a heavier bike would make stop and go riding less attractive, although I'm sure the top riders would figure out how to overcome it.

The heavier bikes would surely be more durable, the pros won't care about that but it would make things much easier on the clubmen who are the backbone of the sport.

Does anyone else feel this way?

By the way, I was around when the FIM implemented weight limits on MX bikes in the 70s. The same guys still won the races but I'm sure that they saved Suzuki a lot of money on titanium parts.

Edited by motovita

As far as the bikes go - I think we should let the market speak for itself. If one MFG makes the lightest bike and it fails to draw sales, it will die a natural death. If it doesn't - and in fact other manufacturers join in, then the natural competition will benefit us all. I don't know anyone smarter than the free market and don't know why people continue to think otherwise. (and if they by chance are, why would they waste there time with the trials bike market)

I would support a claim rule to reduce costs - but thats about it on the bike side.

Non issue? The biggest set of rule changes the sport has ever seen is coming. This is more than just No Stop........ Longer loops, bigger gas tanks, weight limits, cc limits and more. Having these discussions is a good thing.

Exactly.... the press release from the FIM warns of major changes to come, but gives no other hints. You would think they'd want to publish these rules to give manufacturers a chance to conform.

Much thanks to Martin for providing some insight here.

Any idea what the point of longer loops would be? I would have expected the opposite. Weight limits and cc limits make sense....... especially if you happen to be a manufacturer that favors four stroke power in a 250cc package...... :)

Exactly.... the press release from the FIM warns of major changes to come, but gives no other hints. You would think they'd want to publish these rules to give manufacturers a chance to conform.

Much thanks to Martin for providing some insight here.

Any idea what the point of longer loops would be? I would have expected the opposite. Weight limits and cc limits make sense....... especially if you happen to be a manufacturer that favors four stroke power in a 250cc package...... :)

The factories are already aware of these changes. They are the ones that asked for and help create them. All the factories have signed on. The CC limit will not affect anything. Weight limits will help reduce costs a little at the world level and make production bikes more reliable.

I think they see mulitple benefits in longer loops. Reducing bottlenecks, adding enjoyability and credibility. A 1 km loop on a bike with no tank or seat is kinda weird. They feel that more riders want to ride thier motorcycles through the woods and mountains and not hop around in a parking lot.

There will be more total sections as well.

The FIM has said that this is not a 1 year test. These changes are long term. It will take a while to realize the benefits.

Are you JE the pilot? from Thunder Bay?

Edited by martin belair

Non issue? The biggest set of rule changes the sport has ever seen is coming. This is more than just No Stop........ Longer loops, bigger gas tanks, weight limits, cc limits and more. Having these discussions is a good thing.

I am for all that and a minimum seat height........much higher than it is now.

I'm just gonna ride whenever - wherever I can , compete when I can , And have FUN !!!! :banana2: :banana2: :banana2: :banana2: ;)

Glenn

Yep me too I don't have to come in the top 3 to have fun (Although this year I have a goal).........................................But I still like to bitch now and then. :D

Martin,

We have endured such rules before, and you see others opinion of no-stop. As I recall, one could not even hop sideways at the time. Yes it may be good to openly discuss. More than just no-stop, well that is another deal.

I have lots of opinions, but !

As I usually also believe in "shup up and ride what you brung" , you have now got me started.

1- Trials bikes come in two versions- Jap Crap and Euro Junk. The first tends to be more reliable, yet comes with a price, and weight. The second may be more performance oriented at the cost of maintenance and repairs, add reliability. Life has been this way for as long as I can recall with the exception that many years ago Jap Crap cost less than Euro Junk.

2- I could care less what the FIM does! (with exception)

3- Face fact, modern trials bikes are not really practicle for other things such as trail riding, they are too specialized. No wonder they do not sell outside this limited market. High maint jickey fragile short range stuff that is uncomfortable to ride is not a turn on for most.

All of them should be required to produce a long range bike that is convertable and practicle! Look at the Ossa Explorer on a Trials frame! It can be done! The old Beta Alps and the Pampera were not too far off the mark, but could use improvement. There is a new Sherco and Scorpa out, but ? Point being, the bike needs to be easily converted from trail to trial, and if this means supplying a mudguard and tank with the bike then so be it, as this plastic is cheap. OK, so My bike has gained a few kilos and now weighs only 5 pounds less than a 4T Montesa, how did we manage? OMG!

4- CC limits, really? Ok, Is there really anything I need to see that a good rider on a 250 cannot do? I doubt it!

5- Weight limits, well first take magnesium out of the bikes, we do not need it. Useless junk. Frame must be durable enough for trail riding so you gotta put some meat in it! So all ride current or pre- production bikes available to all. If a company wants to sell Titanium, then let them, but make it available to all if they want to take things to a certain limit.

6- Last but not least, stop for 5 is still too harsh for clubmen as strictly observed. If I were gonna do that, say at SSDT, I would likely start a riot for all that hesitated, and they would likely buy my return airfare and ship me home for free! Same for clubs and nationals really, hesitate and you are OUT! Is that really the spirit of the sport? Screw that, I may just continue my effort to not wear the bifocals when attending. All gets a bit blurry you know!

Need beer now, Chow! Ciao!

Edited by copemech

Mark

What is your big interest in any Trials rules changing. The new rules or in fact any rules only affect those who actual STILL ride trials or even show up at events or practice.

Bench trialers are not affected by rules, so you should be okay :chairfall: Get your bike out out of storage and then talk to us about how the rules are affecting us! LOL

Mark

What is your big interest in any Trials rules changing. The new rules or in fact any rules only affect those who actual STILL ride trials or even show up at events or practice.

Bench trialers are not affected by rules, so you should be okay :chairfall: Get your bike out out of storage and then talk to us about how the rules are affecting us! LOL

Billy, you better be damn glad if I do! You see whot I said in point 6! That applies to you! I don wanna here your whining when I lay a 5 on ya!

I got a new (er) bike, so getting ready!