Msa Approval For Road Trials?

pete_scorpa3

That could come back to haunt them, the way some riders hang back.

Thing is ross if there's no time limit then why shouldnt you hang back it's not as if you are going to get penalised anymore is it? Minefield. Pete's done the right thing but so many others are trying to circumnavigate the MSA and i cant help but feel they are going to come unstuck at some point. Plus if no set route you can attempt groups when you feel you will have the best advantage. Pity the poor observers as i suppose they will have to sit there all day too. At what point do they say sod this and go home? Going to be tears :popcorn: Edited by old trials fanatic

It depends on how many groups that the trial visits. If it's just one or two, there's no major problem.

But inthe case of the Colmore, the permetations of section order and route are endless. We'd have riders all over the Cotswolds at all times of the day, in opposite directions.

Imagine 110 trials riders buzzing like bee's around Chipping Campden. It would really annoy the locals and give the MSA something to really dig into.

And lets not even think about the 40 observers and 40 punchers who would be out from 9.01 to ..... nightfall!

This idea might work for some trials, but not for all.

Pete

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I've been sitting back for a while concerning the subject of MSA approval to see what happens nationally.

I went through the full application process for the Colmore Cup and was really pleased to have been given approval. The club was less pleased to pay out the cheque for the privilidge, and I'm sure the riders would rather have not had their entry fee increased to cover the cost either!

So here we are a few months on, many clubs have applied for MSA approval, but equally many events have been run without it.

What, if any, repercussions have we seen from the MSA?

Has anyone been critisised?

Has anyone been warned?

Has anyone been fined?

Has anything changed at all, other than the MSA cashing the cheques from those clubs who've been 'persuaded'* to comply?

(*feel free to change this word and insert appropriate words such as - bullied, conned, forced, ripped off, scammed,threatened etc)

I would be interested to hear what experiences other people have had.

Pete

Really glad you posted again pete. I have not received a refund from the cancelled Cleveland trial yet. Sent everything back they required over easter so should have heard something by now. More emailing ahead I think.

• 1 month later...

story out of the ACU is they are lobbying government, progress might be possible, but in the mean time we have to do it by the book.

down here, since the only 3 events with road work (all LDTs - no other trials or enduros use roadwork) were already jumping through the MSA hoops i can't say its changed anything

• 2 months later...

Going through the full 'to the letter' MSA application for our LDT.

The route is obviously a lot longer than the previous events that I've applied for, but most of the communications with the authorities is exactly the same as with other events, so it's a simple job to just change the dates on the letters.

This time, the Police have replied straight away and insisted on no further actions (unlike before when I recieved a list of things to cover.)

I think they have got the idea that we are doing things correctly. Either that, or they are fed up of dealing with me and have just given in?

It must be a dilema for the Police, afterall their input costs time and money but they get no payment... unlike the MSA who send out a couple of letters and then cash a cheque for over £300!

I don't want to be the first organiser to be reprimanded/criticised/fined/prosecuted, so I have tried to do everything right. But not all clubs have applied for MSA authorisation, have an of them been pulled-up? I suspect not, in which case it makes me feel like I am wasting my time.

Also, every rider in the trial will pay £3 to the MSA, have we effectively wasted their cash?

Pete