Oset 20.0 Challenges

juanroberts

We bought the Oset 20.0 a week ago, and I know its for my kids, but I could not help ride it too. So do not get me wrong, I love the bike, I am just trying to make it more adaptable to my kids' riding abilities. The one thing I will do is add a larger brake rotor in the front as I did for the smaller 16.0 OSET -can get larger rotors with the bridge adapter at most mountain bike stores. The bike is so strong, its like a thoroughbred horse, its seems to have a mind of its own that just wants to go fast. Accordingly, a stronger front brake is appropriate to better control it, and to make it easier for my kids to do stoppies, etc..

In terms of power, while riding it at about 5 MPH and then twisting the throttle all the way while on pavement, the bike would wheelie all by itself with me standing up normally, and I do have to then back off the throttle or it will loop out, the motor is that powerful. It is only borderline a "mini ElectricTrials Bike", so the Moderator may want to rethink the title to this forum once again? :)

Not sure how to say it, but some aspects are also challenging.

For example, the throttle is an enigma. On the smaller OSET 16.0 & 12.5 versions, when the governor is set to full power, twisting the throttle results in an immediate and proportional response from the motor. But not with the 20.0/48V; it always has a delayed response, as if riding an 80cc two stroke with a heavy flywheel, and a non-pumper carburetor! On day one I could not even test ride the 20.0 bike as it felt awful, but at least by the third ride, I thought about it more as if it was gas engine bike with the associated delay in the throttle, and then I was able to better understand the lagged power delivery, and accordingly ride a little better, i.e., could better balance through turns and go up curbs, etc. It is unfortunate that the throttle delay cannot be removed with the speed switch, or by turning up the power response dial all the way.

Also, the front fork is incredibly stiff. Normally on a trail bike I would want 1/3 of the suspension's travel to sag when standing on the bike at idle. Yet even me at 180 pounds cannot get the front forks to budge/sag --and this is after bleeding all air pressure out. I was watching my 9-year-old daughter ride it and at best the forks give in about an inch when ridden over bumps. I am thinking of taking the forks apart to see if there is a stiffening spring spacer which may be removed, or look for another way to soften the spring rate or stiffness.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John

Yes, tell us how you get on with softening the forks as I agree, we have bled all the air out and my nearly 10yr old can't compress them much. Not that it seems to worry him.

Brakes, we installed Shimano XT brakes, strong with good modulation and better levers for smaller hands.

Can't comment on the power delivery much as I have never ridden it but I wish we could get a better rear tyre!

Don't mean to steal your thread but if you or someone else who has the 20.0 could advice on how suitable it is for an adult (size wise) I would be grateful. Thinking about using the 20.0 as a technique trainer in my backyard!

I'm about 190cm and 93kg....

I'm also wondering how good the 20.0 will be for adults. I'm 5'4", 145lbs (162cm, 65kg) so the bike looks very appealing to me. The stiff forks sound good and I would use the 1000lb shock spring to make the bike like an electric pogo stick/trials bicycle. The delayed throttle response concerns me. Has anyone tried the technique of using the front brake like a clutch where you hold the brake, give a little throttle, compress forks and release the front brake like you are popping the clutch? Combining that with compressing the rear shock, you could get the bike to jump off the ground.

I'm also interested in the Lipo battery conversion but would consider putting them in a backpack like the do on the EGO conversion kits. http://www.ego-kits.com/en/ego-kits/ The EGO kit looks like a good alternative to the Oset but it costs more than and doesn't include a bike. It would provide more options and not look so strange out in public. Plus it could be ridden like a regular bike when the battery goes dead.

There is no doubt an adult can ride it as you can see on some of the promo video stuff. Made of mostly very strong adult mountain bike components, just not sure about how the electrics will last with an adult working it hard. Also, the chain/chainring isn't anywhere near the thickness of a adult bike size stuff and the throttle is a bit plasticy. I am 6 foot and 90kg/200lbs and it feels small and awkward to me but that could be because I ride the full size 300 all the time. It certainly feels much smaller than my bike! At 5'4" and 145lbs you might be perfect for it.

There are some drawbacks, the rear tyre does not grip anything like a proper trials tyre and you would have to run with it pumped up quite a bit. No worries if you ride in the dry or on concrete though. You would most likely need broader handlebars to be comfy. The grips are narrow for kids hands, same with the throttle side.

That said, many adults ride BMX's and so you can certainly adapt to it. Would be interesting to see how it lasts with adult weight being pushed around.

oset_gasgas.jpg

• Like 1

With a comment about changing the title of this forum I was begging for kbtrials' question! To be honest, the 20.0 is halfway between a kid bike and a grown up bike. It is like buying an 80cc minibike, its fun with lots of power that can do lots, but to be honest, I may still buy the Gas Gas electric trials when it comes out.

The 20.0 out of the box for an adult is more of a trailbike than a trials bike. The two biggest shortcommings, delayed throttle and no compression in the suspension are not that big when carrying momentum and there are no jumps or dropoffs. However, in a trials environment even with stiff springs dropoffs taller than a half-meter result in nasty bottoming out, at least for my 180-pounds.

Are the bikes strong enough? Listen, I have personally abused the 12.5 and the 16.0 for many years and it was never a problem. The 20.0 is seemingly built just as strong. The only thing that tends to go quite predictably on these bikes is the throttle and that is after 200 hours of use. By the way, on the smaller bikes the rear tire goes after about 100 hours, and the chain at about 300 hours. If you think about it, cheap operation comes to mind so long as its simple. You know what they say: "If you want to rock, keep it stock".

In short, I would not buy an OSET if did not have a child to share it with. But since I do, I have lots and lots of very affordable fun near my house!

Edited by juanroberts

Yes I think the title of this forum also needs to be changed to maybe just 'electric trials bikes'. The 20" oset is more than capable for a adult but not as a out and out trials machine, its strong enough and has enough power to still have some fun even for the heavier rider. the delay in the delay in the throttle is easy enough to over come if really needed. There is already full size off road bikes on the market and some are better than others and only one full size trials bike ( as far as I know ) on the market. I think next year there will be even more coming onto the market and hopefully prices will also come down.

delay in the throttle is easy enough to over come if really needed

There is already ... one full size trials bike ( as far as I know ) on the market.

Can the delay be overcome without having to buy a non-OSET controller?

What full sized electric trials bike is out there, do you have a link?

Thanks!

John

There are some drawbacks, the rear tyre does not grip anything like a proper trials tyre and you would have to run with it pumped up quite a bit.

My lad is suffering from loss of traction as he goes up steep banks, the rear just starts to spin. I am going to adjust the rear shock next time we are out to see if that makes any difference and failing that I think I have worked out how to fit a wider trial rear rim onto the standard Oset 20 hub allowing us to fit a proper tyre. Just need to check a few more things before ordering the parts.

My lad is suffering from loss of traction as he goes up steep banks, the rear just starts to spin. I am going to adjust the rear shock next time we are out to see if that makes any difference and failing that I think I have worked out how to fit a wider trial rear rim onto the standard Oset 20 hub allowing us to fit a proper tyre. Just need to check a few more things before ordering the parts.

Thanks to gwhy's advise I will also be lacing a bigger size rim, but on the 12.5. My kid is between being to big for the 12.5 and still to small for the 16''. I bought some used front and rear KTM50 1012.5'' rims and will be lacing those with the OSET 16'' hubs onto the 12.5''. I have not received the rims yet, but I am sure the spoke diameter is bigger then the OSETS, so dremeling out the OSET hub holes might be pretty easy.

10x12.5 rim

Thanks to gwhy's advise I will also be lacing a bigger size rim, but on the 12.5. My kid is between being to big for the 12.5 and still to small for the 16''. I bought some used front and rear KTM50 1012.5'' rims and will be lacing those with the OSET 16'' hubs onto the 12.5''. I have not received the rims yet, but I am sure the spoke diameter is bigger then the OSETS, so dremeling out the OSET hub holes might be pretty easy.

Use standard bicycle spokes ( 14g ) ( I expect the replacement rim will use 12g spokes so not to much difference ) and get some SS washers for the nipples so they dont get pulled thro the rim I cant remember what size washers will be needed but its going to be around m3. The spokes will be plenty strong enough and much better than making the hub weaker by driller out the spoke holes.

Use standard bicycle spokes ( 14g ) ( I expect the replacement rim will use 12g spokes so not to much difference ) and get some SS washers for the nipples so they dont get pulled thro the rim I cant remember what size washers will be needed but its going to be around m3. The spokes will be plenty strong enough and much better than making the hub weaker by driller out the spoke holes.

Perfect thank you.