Ty250A Vs Ossa Mar

scot taco

Well back in the mid seventies all the jap bikes were crap compared to spanish bikes. Reality was they just did not make the same stump pulling power that was needed for the style of riding and rules. Most on here now will say how great the ty`s are. Mainly jap made and plentiful parts. The MAR was a fine machine. Just hard to find parts anymore. And yes just a few years ago I rode a fine example in a couple of vintage events. The bike I rode had just under 100km on it and I enjoyed beating several ty riders.

Never rode the 350. Was even more rare in the states. Hope you find one!

The ty was very similiar to the MAR. The Ossa just made a lot more power all the way through the rpm`s. Granted both bikes were developed by my hero Mick. I was an Ossa rider, and just loved the bike. The ty did develope into a great bike later on.

Edited by lineaway
  • Like 1

The OSSA MAR forks are amazingly good for an early 1970s trials bike and the rear end works very well too with the right shocks. Yes I concur with lineaway the standard MAR 250 motor is quite amazing. The OSSA motor is a distinct advantage in muddy or other low traction conditions compared with the A model Yamaha.

Both TY250 and OSSA MAR are both quite low under the motor compared with others of the same era.

I'm not sure the terrific suspension on my MAR ever saved me any points compared with my TY250A, but it does make it feel more luxurious and steady to ride in places where the suspension get a workout.

• Like 1

Back in the day late 70's the Yam TY was considered too revvy to grip in the South East UK..... The Ossa was superb in the mud and from memory the Yam did spin out somewhat... However that was back in the day of clutchless riding and I'm sure the Yam would have responded if ridden like modern day bikes...

My pal had a 79 Ossa 310, I had the 250 which I always preferred, much softer and docile... But hey, it all goes back to the sections back then.. I had a Beamish 250 then a 325 but went back to the 250, so much more rideable and willing to rev.

Happy days....

Interesting how we all have our own perceptions of bikes,the TY250 I use is is I think a D model rather than an A. Cant recall ever riding an A model,but my C of C Mike has one,I'll have to have to have a go and see how different it is.I really like the soft engine of mine,it will grip when often others,inc mono's are struggling.Apart from being a bit lacking in ground clearance there is nothing about I would change.Be interesting to see how much difference the extra ground clearance makes when I finish my Majesty project later this year.

The only Ossa I have ever ridden is the one which Mick Andrews uses currently.Its quite a special one with a 310 motor and I think Fantic front forks.I felt immediately at home on it,the general handling and steering seemed very similar to my Yam.A really nice bit of kit - but then if anyone is going to have a well sorted Ossa its going to be Mick.It also occured to me that the similarities are most likely to do with Micks development work on both makes.I've always found Monts and Bulto's to be harder work,also the 250 Beamish I started on was never willing to steer where I wanted - although it would grip and pull well.

the OSSA 350 MAR i had was the WORST example of a trials motorcycle iv ever been on..OSSA...no brakes, No clutch, and heavy as a tank.

they do look nice though..

the TY175 is by far leaps and bounds a better trials bike, then the OSSA or the TY250.

never understood the attraction to the TY175...until i rode one..then the light bulb came on...light, nimble, easy to work, good brakes,

granted, if you ride on the easier lines, it wont matter much,

work out your clutch hand so you can pull in the clutch, and hope you dont need to stop.

OSSA used the cable casing to work the brake lever, rather then the cable itself.

keep in mind the new fuel used in the states, will eat the fiberglass tanks, and will pull the glue into the carb, throttle gets sticky, OSSA didnt care if the muffler would quiet the bike, i had to make a nicer pipe to quiet the bike..

iv owned a few MARs, i think they are a sexy looking bike, but like most hot looking women iv went out with..they never performed the way i hoped for..

the OSSA 350 MAR i had was the WORST example of a trials motorcycle iv ever been on..OSSA...no brakes, No clutch, and heavy as a tank.

they do look nice though..

the TY175 is by far leaps and bounds a better trials bike, then the OSSA or the TY250.

never understood the attraction to the TY175...until i rode one..then the light bulb came on...light, nimble, easy to work, good brakes,

granted, if you ride on the easier lines, it wont matter much,

work out your clutch hand so you can pull in the clutch, and hope you dont need to stop.

OSSA used the cable casing to work the brake lever, rather then the cable itself.

keep in mind the new fuel used in the states, will eat the fiberglass tanks, and will pull the glue into the carb, throttle gets sticky, OSSA didnt care if the muffler would quiet the bike, i had to make a nicer pipe to quiet the bike..

iv owned a few MARs, i think they are a sexy looking bike, but like most hot looking women iv went out with..they never performed the way i hoped for..

Brakes on mine work fine, clutch also two finger light yes they are heavy but only compared to modern stuff or modern P65.

Very few if any trials are won now or ever were by TY175 plus if they were / are so good why didnt the works riders use them ? same thing with the Fantic 200. Both are nice bikes if youre a small person but normal sized riders i.e. 13 stone + seem to prefer a bigger bike. Personally i find the TY175 and Fantic 200 gutless and need to be screemed all the while then again i'm 16 stone. Love my OSSA MAR but do find my James much easier to ride. Dont know or really care if it's quiet but never had any problems. Over here TY175 tends to be a Clubman or easy route bike with riders who progress up the scale opting for something bigger as they progress. Good starter bike though as is the Fantic 200.

Back on topic out of the crate would probably say the OSSA has it over the stock TY250 however a Majesty 320 would whup both of them but then again that wasnt the question either.

Edited by old trials fanatic

Interesting how we all have our own perceptions of bikes,the TY250 I use is is I think a D model rather than an A. Cant recall ever riding an A model,but my C of C Mike has one,I'll have to have to have a go and see how different it is.I really like the soft engine of mine,it will grip when often others,inc mono's are struggling.Apart from being a bit lacking in ground clearance there is nothing about I would change.Be interesting to see how much difference the extra ground clearance makes when I finish my Majesty project later this year.

The only Ossa I have ever ridden is the one which Mick Andrews uses currently.Its quite a special one with a 310 motor and I think Fantic front forks.I felt immediately at home on it,the general handling and steering seemed very similar to my Yam.A really nice bit of kit - but then if anyone is going to have a well sorted Ossa its going to be Mick.It also occured to me that the similarities are most likely to do with Micks development work on both makes.I've always found Monts and Bulto's to be harder work,also the 250 Beamish I started on was never willing to steer where I wanted - although it would grip and pull well.

Jon the TY250A model motor behaves nothing like a standard BCDE motor. For our conditions (dry - dry - dry), the A model motor is perfectly good to use and makes for a terrific play bike too.

David, our conditions are usually wet,wet,wet ! Tonight its full on snow,I'll have to borrow Mikes A model to get an idea of how they ride compared to mine.He loves it and has had some really good rides on it compared to the TLR200 he was using before.Did you get my mail BTW ?

im 200 LBS, ride the expert line..crashed more on an OSSA then any other bike iv ever rode on, in STOCK form..not modified, ect, the only man that can Ride an OSSA was Mick himself, and you cant get the bike that he rode, plain and simple.

i spent alot of money trying to get that POS back brake to work short of converting it to a japanese rear set up, and it kinda stopped after that.

theres a pic of said bike on my garage posting..

i know a lady rider the owned the champ lines back in the 1970,s on a TY 175 her bike was in stock form, and she would clean up on her male counterparts all the time.

what was her name?????Debbie something lol.. didnt she do some movie stunts as well...hmm,..

sorry, the MARs are nice looking bikes, but not for me..big turd sandwich, iv taken a bite of too many lol. ill remember to unhook your clutch cable next time lol...Lineaway...this years expert line will be a little different then last years lol..

iv got a few MAR parts id love to sell..

the TY175 i have, im giving to my brother, i doubt he will have any issues getting power from it..

now dont get booty hurt cuz i dont like to ride the MAR, and like the TY175 better,,we all have our own bikes we like that fit us..

i do like the OSSA,s

have owned 4 or 5 MAR250,s 2 , 350MARs, on 250 MAR Bolger bike, and have a 250 im parting out right now, id love to have a gripper in my collection,,id ride it, and complain about it just as bad lol.

i can tell you from selling parts off em...nobody wants them, or wont pay any kind of money for them, i can get 2 times the money for TY parts, Bultaco parts or montesa parts...

to make an OSSA work... update the carb to a Mikuni, modify the clutch, easy pull lever, springs ect, lighten the flywheel a bit, swap out the rear hub with a drum brake KTM, put a nice silencer on it,..then it might be ready to go..

but why not just go with the TY, its a Japanese copy of the MAR with better brakes, and an easier clutch, just dump the TK carb for a mikuni..

here the support lines are set so soft that any of them would be great, you can ride them, enjoy them, and not worry about crashing and dinging up the bike..

I use to ride a TY A with the flywhell lightened, now I ride a B model with the same flywheel. I could'nt bring myself to put the super heavy B model one. Might be the right thing in mud mud mud !!!

As far as the MAR, I only tried one and it was not setup for me so I did'nt like it but the owner was cleaning it sections with 2 finger in the nose I would '' 5 ''.

Jon, the extra ground clearence make a lot of difference.

Guy

That picture of me, I had just turned 15 and rode Expert. There were no champ lines back then, and only two classes at the nationals! Know wonder I had such a good time riding with Mick a few years back, we ride alike! And no ty175 could ride the rocks I rode!

Thanks for all of the feed back. I thought that being both developed by Mick that they would be pretty comparable.My friend that sold me the TY250A now has a TY250C and says that he maybe prefers the power band of the A. We are both bottom of the rung intermediates so maybe the A model is easier to ride.

I also have a 1970 Plonker that I rode in a couple events last year.While not as good as the TY,I always get a kick out of riding it.The motor is a real tractor and runs like a watch and yes the brakes are pretty bad.I have recently purchased a Bultaco 199a that may prove to be harder to ride than the TY for my ability,but I,m in it to have fun more than anything and the two bikes that I most wanted back then were the Sherpa T and MAR.

I would probably have to sell the TY to help get a MAR,but that is a hard choice because the TY is like old faithful or a timex.It,s nickname is Old Yellar! Another point against selling it for a MAR is the fiberglass tank on the MAR.I have had only marginal success with Caswell.

Thanks again! Scott

TY has a reed valve, ported piston, points, TK carb, oil ejection, flexy frame, good brakes, fair set of forks, crappy stock rear shocks. costly fenders.

MAR, has much sexier looks, AMAL carb, motosplat with a heavy flywheel, great front forks, crappy rear shocks, if you buy plastic, cheap fenders,

no reed valve, the 350s are a bear to start sometimes..left kicker {i like}

they handle pretty close, but i feel the yamaha has a better engine, once you swap out the carb,and ditch the oil inection.

the MAR has foward set handlebar clamps, fiberglass tank, TY has a steel tank.

admited im jaded on the MAR, i just had a couple bad rides on them, and have had great rides on the TYs,,dont knock a 175 TY until you have one a try.youll be supprised.

love the picture...as we get old, seems we all rode better, cleaner, and faster when we were young.

id bet my brother will let you take the TY175 for a put...youll be supprised..i was..i thought the 250,s were the thing to have...until i rode a 175..

the one i have is have indian and half chinese....its UUUGLY..and will stay a rat bike..