Ty250A Vs Ossa Mar

scot taco

David, our conditions are usually wet,wet,wet ! Tonight its full on snow,I'll have to borrow Mikes A model to get an idea of how they ride compared to mine.He loves it and has had some really good rides on it compared to the TLR200 he was using before.Did you get my mail BTW ?

Yes thankyou Jon, I am cogitating on it

this year other then the Nationals, im keeping my trials travel to 700 miles round trip..didnt make since to drive 18 hours, and ride for 4..

im mastering a couple events early in the year, so, ill have a full plate, ill set the expert loop at Turkey rock this year, you might wanna practice your twin shock splatters lol. it will be turned up a couple notches...i have the class winner year end plates done,..they look pretty sweet.

Balance Trial supply hooked me up with plates at cost, my sister did the art work..were planning on the awards and cookout maybe with a bike Rodeo at Turkey rock

Chuck, hope you make it down for april. Bring Mike and the rest of the boys. Expert line looks to be interesting this year.

this year other then the Nationals, im keeping my trials travel to 700 miles round trip..didnt make since to drive 18 hours, and ride for 4..

im mastering a couple events early in the year, so, ill have a full plate, ill set the expert loop at Turkey rock this year, you might wanna practice your twin shock splatters lol. it will be turned up a couple notches...i have the class winner year end plates done,..they look pretty sweet.

Balance Trial supply hooked me up with plates at cost, my sister did the art work..were planning on the awards and cookout maybe with a bike Rodeo at Turkey rock

Any links to YouTube showing "twin shock splats" can't quite get my head round that !

Back to the question originally asked. I had the FIRST TY250A in the UK which was flown in from Japan as I had an entry in the 1974 SSDT. The TY250A was very well built and was the first true trials bike to come complete with lights. Two other TY's were in the 74 SSDT, myself, Peter Oakley and that "man" Mick who was riding something very special!!

The TY250A was the first trials bike with a reed valve system and this made it a ferocious little beast compared to Monts and Bults of the same period. The brakes were excellent although the footrest position, as we now know, was too high and too far forward. A lot of people did not like Yamaha's first entry to the trials world as we just were not used to the "snap". My SSDT bike completed the event in perfect condition save for the bash plate which was fiberglass and all the eyelets came loose but other than that everything else was good on what was then an 1100 mile ride round Scotland.

For 75 and 76 I rode the 250MAR around Scotland and I would say at the time it was the perfect clubman's bike. Big comfy seat, virtually unbreakable engine, and the ability to find grip in just about all sections when others were failing, especially at very low revs. Betor forks were good and the footrest position was closer to what we now strive for on a vintage bike. Weaknesses were of course the brakes, or lack of if wet, and cheap Spanish steel used on the rear axle.... I changed 2 in Scotland! Braking action was better using a decompressor and engine braking rather than relying on the worthless front brake.

With the later Yamahas, the A was only made in 74, the porting was changed which made the motor much softer off the bottom than the snappy crocodile behaviour of the A model. I still ride my TY Superglitz model with the A motor, rearset pegs, Magical shocks and a flatsside OKO to go with the Ossa style through the frame big bore WES system. Eng sprocket comes down to 12T and this deals with the modern section of round the corner into 18-24" step.

After all these years it would be interesting to ride an Ossa that has had the reed valve system fitted.

Tony

Back to the question originally asked. I had the FIRST TY250A in the UK which was flown in from Japan as I had an entry in the 1974 SSDT. The TY250A was very well built and was the first true trials bike to come complete with lights. Two other TY's were in the 74 SSDT, myself, Peter Oakley and that "man" Mick who was riding something very special!!

The TY250A was the first trials bike with a reed valve system and this made it a ferocious little beast compared to Monts and Bults of the same period. The brakes were excellent although the footrest position, as we now know, was too high and too far forward. A lot of people did not like Yamaha's first entry to the trials world as we just were not used to the "snap". My SSDT bike completed the event in perfect condition save for the bash plate which was fiberglass and all the eyelets came loose but other than that everything else was good on what was then an 1100 mile ride round Scotland.

For 75 and 76 I rode the 250MAR around Scotland and I would say at the time it was the perfect clubman's bike. Big comfy seat, virtually unbreakable engine, and the ability to find grip in just about all sections when others were failing, especially at very low revs. Betor forks were good and the footrest position was closer to what we now strive for on a vintage bike. Weaknesses were of course the brakes, or lack of if wet, and cheap Spanish steel used on the rear axle.... I changed 2 in Scotland! Braking action was better using a decompressor and engine braking rather than relying on the worthless front brake.

With the later Yamahas, the A was only made in 74, the porting was changed which made the motor much softer off the bottom than the snappy crocodile behaviour of the A model. I still ride my TY Superglitz model with the A motor, rearset pegs, Magical shocks and a flatsside OKO to go with the Ossa style through the frame big bore WES system. Eng sprocket comes down to 12T and this deals with the modern section of round the corner into 18-24" step.

After all these years it would be interesting to ride an Ossa that has had the reed valve system fitted.

Tony

Nice write up. I remember riding Petes bike first time out when he brought it to Teversal for a shake down. OOOH i so wanted one. One of my OSSA's has a reed valve and a Phantom barrel. Mick rebuilt the motor and i love it runs right down to almost stall then right back up to rev out if youre man enough. I'm not LOL.

OTF, small world! I was stationed at RAF Finningley when mine arrived from Brian Leask (Husky) as Yamaha didn't have an official importer at that time, they built it up out of its crate coming up the M1.I think I went to that event you mention when all 3 of us were riding and I remember a nasty little section in a deep mud filled bomb hole with a grassy bank exit. I was at the back of the near 200 entry using the obscure ACU rule which allowed members of the armed forces to sign up on the day even if it was an Open to Center event. I casually asked the Observer what "it" was riding like and got the reply "All 5's apart from TWO cleans...... and they are riding the same bike as YOU!!" The bike rocketted out of that hole to my surprize and didn't touch the grassy bank either and I DID make the THIRD clean of the day. So at that trial 3 of us on the Yams had a 5 point advantage over the entire entry.

Tony

Splatter= American term for stupid crazy rock steps, big ol logs that you cant see over lol..

no,, twin shock splatters wont be 20 foot straight up off camber rocks..i do have some 4 foot rocks, and a nice 6 foot log with a cheater step im mind..

at a local pactice area, we have a downed Oak tree that, with a kicker, i can make with a small dab on my TLR, for the life of me, i can get it with my Evo without pulling it up 2 footed..

OTF, small world! I was stationed at RAF Finningley when mine arrived from Brian Leask (Husky) as Yamaha didn't have an official importer at that time, they built it up out of its crate coming up the M1.I think I went to that event you mention when all 3 of us were riding and I remember a nasty little section in a deep mud filled bomb hole with a grassy bank exit. I was at the back of the near 200 entry using the obscure ACU rule which allowed members of the armed forces to sign up on the day even if it was an Open to Center event. I casually asked the Observer what "it" was riding like and got the reply "All 5's apart from TWO cleans...... and they are riding the same bike as YOU!!" The bike rocketted out of that hole to my surprize and didn't touch the grassy bank either and I DID make the THIRD clean of the day. So at that trial 3 of us on the Yams had a 5 point advantage over the entire entry.

Tony

Teversal always was a horrible bog hole of a place. Knew Pete, Thomas and Nick very well after school and every weekend we all used to ride on the old tip at Sawley firstly on old road bikes then Trials bikes which led us into competition eventually. Those first TY A models were a revelation at the time. I couldnt believe what a step forward they were over what we had. However i've always had a soft spot for the MAR possibly as i've known Mick since the late 60's and had Chris Millners old Pennine which even with Micks help never got on with. Way too much of a monster that bike plus with all that fibreglass was BIG. When the MAR came along it was a revelation although i dearly would have loved Micks prototype OSSA which was a dream bike. They are both good bikes and i suppose it boils down to emotion at the end of the day. Edited by old trials fanatic
  • Like 1

Any links to YouTube showing "twin shock splats" can't quite get my head round that !

Dont think i want to. Whats a splat ?

Splatter= American term for stupid crazy rock steps, big ol logs that you cant see over lol..

no,, twin shock splatters wont be 20 foot straight up off camber rocks..i do have some 4 foot rocks, and a nice 6 foot log with a cheater step im mind..

at a local pactice area, we have a downed Oak tree that, with a kicker, i can make with a small dab on my TLR, for the life of me, i can get it with my Evo without pulling it up 2 footed..

hey,,,Eddie can do some twin shock splats..

????? I see no splats?????

I was as intrigued as my Scots brother B40rt was when the subject of a twinshock splat was brought up, I've never seen one, I would dearly love to witness one particularly from a standing start. I think we might have lost something in translation here?

This is my understanding of a splat:-

Back wheel lands first on face of obstacle, impact brings front wheel down on top of obstacle...if you're me; you panic at this point and forget to pull clutch in thus launching the bike into low earth orbit :dunce:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv2FgkZ_VXs

Edited by ham2

those were TWIN SHOCK SPLATS.. not modern splats,..with 4 inches of travel, you dont have much to load up, i could make that log..but would have to struggle doing so on a twin shocker. at 1.00 you see him do a 4 foot or better splat

it would be a few times rolling around on the grass, and id want a bigger kicker....

well, id try it anyway..and that says alot lol...

Edited by chuckindenver