Do Your Arms Ache?

lee99780

I bought some bar risers from mdracing 30mm for £18. This will straighten up your back and you can use your legs to take your weight. Will also lower the center of gravity.

Bar risers shouldn't make any difference to arm pump because it's gripping with your hand, not leaning on the bars that causes it. Leaning on your bars will put more strain on your shoulders and back.

Hi,again, I should have mentioned this only happens for the 1st 20 minutes or so while I go for a blast warming up. Maybe I just get used to it?

I've got Renthal fat bars on, 13 stone and 5ft 10, I'm gonna try rotate them back a bit this weekend

It's when you relax and don't grip so hard any more that it goes away.

• Like 1

I agree with Frogger, the other thing I have noticed about myself if that after a half hour or so and a couple of sections I relax and become a better rider, everything gets easier

In a trial I fall down and get a few 3s and 5s at the start and a lot more zero's come in the second half

Makes me wonder if a good streach before riding would help

• 2 months later...

Hi, Lee99780!

You've been given some very good advice here. If I might add a little....

The "learning to relax" is very important. This simply comes by spending more time riding, either while practicing, or in sections. The relaxing will just come naturally after the nerves get accustomed to the riding.

Smaller diameter grips helped me to beat arm pump when I rode mx. I had more problems with arm pump using the bigger diameter ones. But everyone is different in that respect. I could always do more pull ups (you folks call them "Press Ups", I think?) with a small diameter bar than I could with a bigger dia. one....

But the most important thing, to me, is that when my wrists hurt, it means my technique (if I actually have any) is wrong. Instead of keeping the majority of my weight on the pegs, where it should be, it means I've gotten tired/lazy/retarded, and am riding with a bunch of my weight being supported by my arms. And then the wrists ache a little..... It probably also lets me know that I need to spend more time working out, rather than on this computer typing, hee hee.....

Since I consistently get a sore on the bottom knuckle of my right thumb (ride often w/o gloves) from my throttle, I'm going to try Zippy's suggestion, and narrow my bars by a very small amount, and see what that does......

Edited by mr neutron