New Bike Or Repair The Beta

hhunter

Hi people not properly rode my beta for about two years now.

Got it out the shed abit before christmas but due to clutch problems been riding my dads montesa,

After waiting weeks i got my clutch seal kit, but when i came to do the job noticed water in my oil and a pin on the magnet of the oil drain.

i haven't tried to start the bike since noticing and last time i was on it i didnt hear anything sound dodgy.

Im assuming i need some sort of expensive engine rebuild but should i do this and keep the bike, or not repair the bike sell it as needing engine rebuild and buy a new bike.

As expected im keen on getting a new bike but what should i get as i can not afford breakdowns like this one.

I like the 2010 125 evo's but what is people opinion on these bikes?

Thanks Harry

Same thing happened to my 07 rev3 and it was just the shaft from the water pump that had somehow found its way to the drain plug without causing any damage, so check this first as its an easy fix that costs very little

same here, pin that the gear drives on the water pump shaft had fallen out.

remove the water pump cover and check to see if you can spin the impeller without any resistance

if it does spin then the pin has fallen out.

Edited by chris morris

cheers everyone for your help.

I had a look at the impellor and it will spin nearly all the way round but then stops.

Also when i took the cover of a circlip washer (i think its called) was just floating about in there any ideas??

It also looked quite corroded in there is this ok?

Water pump shaft - the Rev3's have a nylon drive gear with a metal shaft, the two are held together by a pin that slides through a hole in the base of the shaft and locates in a recess in the back of the drive gear. The shaft comes through the inner case, impeller goes on, then circlip goes on to hold it all in place. So sounds likely that the circlip has come off for some reason, this would allow the shaft to go back through the inner case slightly, pin to drop out, and probably munch the nylon drive gear - hence it doesn't spin a full 360° any more.

So, I would suspect seal was actually OK, but movement of the shaft has let the oil in, as it's going to be apart, replace the seal as it will need doing sooner or later anyway.

You'll need: Nylon drive gear, new pin, seals, circlip, 'O' rings and gaskets for inner case & water pump housing.

Suspect cases will have lots of little bits of white nylon from the drive gear in there so try and get all that out while it's apart.

Water Pump Bits: http://www.haventria...183_158_191_873

I'd say you'll want 20,22,25,27,36 as minimum, check the impellor, maybe consider doing bearings also for the price of them - 23 & 34.

Would think you'll want 11 &18 off this diagram also: http://www.haventria...183_158_191_852

Sam

Edited by rallymadsam