Leaking Tyre - Rim Tape

myzeneye

Hi folks....

Just changed the front and back tyre on my bike...... Front (tubed) is fine, but rear is leaking air through the spokes. I don't fancy fitting a new rim band as I understand their a pig to fit.... And too be honest, I don't fancy removing the tyre again to bead silicone/sikaflex or the like as I've just (foolishly) fitted some nice rim tapes......

I went to halfords earlier today to see if any of this "slime" or goop stuff would do the job...... But on reading the label I understood it that the goo would be flung out to the tyre tread itself centrifugally, but I don't think any would manage to run itself around the actual wheel rim ?

Has anyone used this stuff for leaking spokes ? Is there a technic for running it round the rim band?

Anyone had success ?

Also, this happened last time I changed a back tyre..... And in the end, I fitted a Heaney duty michellin tube.

Are their any great advantages or disadvantages of fitting an inner tube ?

Thanks folks.....

I agree with digger144.

But if you want to use tyre sealant try this one: http://www.notubes.com/ It's widely used by mountainbikers to seal tubeless mountainbike tyres.

If you can remove the valve stem, you can simply pour it in, shake your wheel around to distribuate it on the inside and the leak should be sealed.

The 'slime' type sealant leaves a hard to remove mess on the inner tyre and rim. 'Notubes' sealant stays milky and is easy to remove.

I had the same problem on a beta rev took the tyre off again and fitted a jitse rim band the one with the built in valve . Took 10 mins to fit with plenty of tyre soap just make sure it seats in the recess on tha inside edge of the rim properly and it will be fine . If you fit a tube water will get in and start to corrode the rim and you will be forever checking the tyre hasn't slipped round putting tension on the valve

Pain in the a## I know but well worth the effort

Simple fix:

Remove tire from wheel.

If needs be have your wheel trued and ensure all spoke nuts are tight.

Use a brass wire brush to clean the wheel.

Degrease the wheel

Get a tin of Heldite jointing compound.

Put a blob of it on each spoke nut.

It will last years and years and years and years and years... It will never leak. Period.

If you need to change a spoke no problem. You remove the tire as usual and scrape the Heldite off. Refit new spoke, tighten it to the correct torque setting (Tighten it till it 'pings' the same sound as all the others).

Heldite also acts as a thread locker so they won't come loose.

If you're wheel needs to be trued in future well it's not a job that any old Tom duck or Harry can do anyway. Just remove your tire, scrape off the Heldite and give it to your wheel truer. When you get it back re-seal with Heldite and continue trialling head ache and leak free for many more years to come.

Tire bands are crap because:

A). Rubber gets hard and porous over time which = leaks.

B) when ally and steel are in contact together (i.e where a spoke connects) moisture present will cause electrolysis / galvanic action (corrosion) - it may not necessarily corrode near the spoke it could be anywhere on the wheel.

C) wheel bands are expensive, anywhere from

I also just has this same leaking issue after changing a tire. I removed the tire and rim band. All looked OK but there was a little dirt and water between the band and rim. It already had the Jitse type band and I did not want to wait for another. I cleaned everything up very well, reseated the band using tire mounting lube and remounted the tire. It was a lot of work but now seals.

Heldite sounds quite interesting but their site does not show a US distributor. Is there a generic name for this type of product?

Www.heldite.com

It's a uk company. This stuff is what we use for all our diesel fuel lines at the engineering company I work for. It's also approved by the MoD. It has loads if uses though not just on pipes, very versatile chemical.

I agree with digger144.

But if you want to use tyre sealant try this one: http://www.notubes.com/ It's widely used by mountainbikers to seal tubeless mountainbike tyres.

If you can remove the valve stem, you can simply pour it in, shake your wheel around to distribuate it on the inside and the leak should be sealed.

The 'slime' type sealant leaves a hard to remove mess on the inner tyre and rim. 'Notubes' sealant stays milky and is easy to remove.

Did I mention that when you have NoTubes tyre sealant in your tyre you won't even notice that you have a puncture? ... :ph34r:

This product is available to UK mainland customers only! (see the file)

Is there a problem shipping the product. Is it really a WMD?

How much is needed to do a wheel?

It's really not that hard to find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/230916001598?redirect=mobile

1-2ml per spoke nut approx.

Buy a 250ml tin. You will use it on so many things, very versatile product it really should be in everyone's tool kit.

hi new to the forum ,dont no if this has been mentioned but why not just put a tube in and save four hours tryin to clean and reseal ?cut the valve off the rim band so u can fit the valve through from the tube and the band will stop the spokes from nicking the tube it also blows the tyre back on to the rim much easier .

i havnt had a problem since

mick