New Guy Needs Rev3 Help Please...

j1mmyboa

Hi everyone, I'm new to trials and have recently bought a 2001 beta rev3 270, I was playing at bumpy last weekend having fun then the chain came off and doubled over the front sprocket, fun time over!

I took the bike home managed to free the chain, found neutral with sprocket and fired the bike up, all ok. I decided I'd give the bike a proper going over whilst I was waiting on the new bits, only to discover it was in need of some proper tlc as I started to strip it.

I've given it a proper clean and got all the scum off, I stripped the plastics, sub frame, air box, carb, reed valve, exhaust and the brakes.

I haven't dropped the oil or coolant yet, but for some reason went to run the kick start over to check the piston through the exhaust port only to find it wouldn't turn over. Could this be because I've removed parts or could I have done something else? As previously said the bike kicked up fine before I started to strip it, and I can't think what might have happened.

I'd be truly grateful for any help, I'm not mechanically gifted at all but I do try. Thanks

Hi

sounds like something might be dropped into the intake port or exhaust port.

If it were me, i would check what i could see with a torch to see if anything has dropped around the side of the crank etc.

If nothing is found, i would drain the coolant, remove the head and the barrel. As well as finding any potential problem you can give it a bit of a de-coke, check the ring-gap etc.

Other things worth checking are:-

• Take the flywheel cover off to check something hasnt jammed around the flywheel.
  • Take the clutch cover off and check something isnt fouling the clutch basket or jamming between the clutch basket ring gear and the crank pinion.

After that things get a bit more serious !!

Dom

sorry say that there's every possibility you have broken the gearbox, i have done a couple of Rev3's from this era and it takes teeth off the gears, pretty sure that both the ones i did needed main shaft and a gear (2nd if i remember rightly)

Best bet is to put chain on and rock the rear wheel backwards and forwards whist trying the gearbox, once this is done try flushing the gearbox with some diesel, then drain again, if there are any teeth floating about they will attach to the drain bung.

Thanks for the info, I sank the bike in a bog and tried to re-start the bike whilst stuck, so there is a chance I tried to kick it up in gear. I'm just puzzled as I had it running before I started working on it, but I'll try what you have suggested, even though it sounds quite daunting! I probably could've got a newer bike with what I'm gonna have to spend on this one!

Update... I removed the fly wheel case as suggested and gently turned the flywheel with a socket, and she turned, I then steadily moved the kick start over and all was fine, so hopefully disaster averted.

Whilst the bike is in bits I was thinking of check the top end over, would you guys recommend new rings or piston and rings? Where is a good place to get the necessary parts from? Thanks

seriously, put a chain on it and ride the bike to check the gearbox before going any further, if the chain came off and got stuck behind the sprocket this is what causes the damage. Ride it every gear for a bit, if something has happened to the gearbox it will be obvious.

let us know how you get on.

Good call. If a tooth had been knocked of and jammed in the internal gears you could be heading for a gearbox doom time.

The bit thatwas locking it up has mysteriously dropped out so things are now free. Where is that bit gone if there is a loose bit? Could be worth a G box oil change to see what comes out?