Rear Shock - Healthy Or Not?

jonny042

Hello all,

I'm suspecting an issue with the rear shock on my '12 "Race" with the Reiger shock - it seems to have insufficient damping when compared to the Ohlins on my '11 Race. I still have both bikes and when I ride them back to back with the same preload settings and spring rates (75n/mm on each) the Reiger shock just doesn't seem able to calm the rear of the bike down - even at full damping setting. There is a noticeable difference, the '11 is much, much more rideable, with better rear grip over rough sections.

Can anyone tell me how much resistance there should be to compressing the shock with the spring removed? It is easily compressible by hand, and the first 3/4" or so seems to have zero damping and then the damping "picks up". (This with the adjuster at minimum).

The damping becomes much stiffer with the damping set to near max, but if I compress it (easy enough to do by hand) it takes nearly a minute to extend itself.

Any advice?

Thanks!!

Edited by jonny042

The shock should spring back immediately and there should not be a dead zone when compressing. Sounds like your charge is gone. (bad seal)

I know Stu at Jackscycles (southern Maine USA) had a similar issue with a Reiger last year - he sent it back to Reiger and they fixed it for No Charge. (He had to pay shipping though) He has a good relationship with them and could help if your local dealer cant. The other thing you may consider is to have them custom valve it to your weight/ability while they have it on the bench.

Edited by laser1

Hey Laser,

I've already been chatting about this with Stu - even though he's 2000 miles from me he's my favorite source for info and parts. When nobody else seemed interested he went out of his way to help me out, and got the stiffer spring for me.

I thought I'd get a broader idea from the forums here on the condition of my shock - before I go to the trouble of sending it back I want to be sure its "gone" but seems like it might be.

Thanks for the advice! Jon N.