Ajp Caliper

daisy

Can anyone tell me if the ajp rear calipers 2002 onwards are the same ie sherco, gas gas, scorpa, beta

I have formula caliper on a 2012 gas gas which needs changing

And I'm being tight so I'd like to get away with fitting a second hand one if i can

Thanks

In advance to all replies

Hi,

They are slightly different, Sherco and Scorpa are the same, the Gas Gas one is almost the same but with a bit cut off the bottom, see the pics:

http://www.splatshop.co.uk/ajp-rear-brake-calliper-small-inboard-Gas Gas-pro.html

http://www.splatshop.co.uk/sherco-02-rear-calliper.html

Whats wrong with your calliper?

Cheers,

Tim

First the master cylinder was leaking so I put a new piston kit in

I then realised the caliper was losing slightly so I changed the seals

The brake was perfect then I'd put the bike away after riding

Then when I get the bike back out there's no brake so I pump the brake up and it's ok again this happened for about 2 months and now on sunday the brake was losing pressure all day

I expect the caliper is losing again

So I thought if I could get a cheap caliper to try it

Thanks for your post

Are you sure it's the caliper?, for a caliper to do that it would leak fluid, there would be liquid in a puddle under the bike

More than likely it would leak as you put pressure on the pedal rather than leak down over time

I suspect you have a master cylinder problem

Again, it would likely be dripping but not very much, look for fluid down there

• Like 1

Weird thing

These bikes have the simplest hydraulic brake, but they can be a pain in the aaa......abdomen

I spent lots of time getting the rear brake right on my spare Techno, I replaced the master after messing around longer than I should have

There is such a small amount of fluid displaced when the pedal is pressed that very minor problems make it not work

It's like it works or it doesn't, no middle ground

Best o luck :)

my Techno rear brake is playing up, was fine, then just locked on one day, bled it, and ever since can't get any pedal at all, not working with a sh*t. No leaks visible either, think it may be cylinder?

My guess is the pushrod is adjusted wrong or the return spring is not pushing the piston all the way out (sticky piston, rusted damaged spring)

When you release the brake the piston in the master must return to a position where it exposes the return hole and completely releases pressure in the brake hose, when the fluid gets hot it needs to displace it back to the reservoir

That would be why it locked up on you and it would explain why you cannot bleed it, it's not moving fluid from one place to another

I had trouble getting the right rebuild parts and ended up buying a master, the bore had scratches in it anyway, after I cleaned it it had a fluid leak and drained the reservoir

Probably something to do with the fluid returning to the master.

Make sure there is just a bit of "play" between the pin and the piston. so that the piston returns to it's proper spot.

Ah the benifits of twinshocks brakes always work. Dont slow you down much but they always work.

UMMM in order for brakes to work, they must slow you down, or actually stop you. :P

apparently sir, we have differing definitions of working brakes. :D

• Like 1