Early Cota Club

sparks2

Very smart. You will no doubt be aware of the care required when starting these earlier models with the RHS gear lever.

I recall one at the start of the SSDT at Gorgie cattle market. The thing gassed up and would not start so the rider gave it a really good kick with the throttle wide open - needless to say it fired at full bore just before the starter lever slammed the thing in to gear - he took away the starter's table and sent the gent flying. Rather early for a five.

Hi

I may be eligible for early Cota club. See pics.

Got this 247 a couple of years ago, but only now getting round to doing something with it. I think it is a Mark 2, so frame should be white. Also need to get correct air filter and mudguards (and turn forks round!)

I would welcome any advice on correct spec.

This 247 is to accompany the 3 off Cota 25s that we have - pic of earliest one attached, Can anyone tell me colour code for tank and frame on these Cota 25s?

PS Is there a Cota 25 forum?

post-8708-0-73659200-1360099331_thumb.jpgpost-8708-0-53395400-1360099404_thumb.jpgpost-8708-0-78182100-1360099557_thumb.jpg

Supermotoscot, it looks like a mk2 from 1970 (the frame number should be between 1800 and 2505). The tank is a later one, yours should have one like the tank on sparks bike at the top of the thread. The air filter is the right one, it is just missing the cover.

I have got some colour codes somewhere, so I will have a look to see if I can find them.

The 25 looks great, I would love to get one for my youngest, but I am not aware of a dedicated 25 forum.

Good luck with the project

Very smart. You will no doubt be aware of the care required when starting these earlier models with the RHS gear lever.

I recall one at the start of the SSDT at Gorgie cattle market. The thing gassed up and would not start so the rider gave it a really good kick with the throttle wide open - needless to say it fired at full bore just before the starter lever slammed the thing in to gear - he took away the starter's table and sent the gent flying. Rather early for a five.

Thanks for your reply.

I wasn't aware but I am now, I wiil remember when I need that adrenalin rush.

:hyper:

Far too smart - yer banned !! Gives me more encouragement to get on with mine.

Two questions,first did you fit the chain tensioner,and second what model Colchester is that ?

Banned !! ........ Banned !!!!! ............ Reminds me of the time I was banned from.................. The Computer Club,

a personal tragedy at the time but I got over it.

Yes, you should get on with yours, they are a good little bike, I could say almost better in some respects than another well known

Spanish brand begining with B.

Don't forget we are not a million mies away from the 50th anniversary of the Cota's introduction.

Q1. Yes, weld a bracket to the lower frame and modify a Bultaco/generic tensioner.

Q2. Student.

A question the other way.

Jon, did you recover your reg number? --- ( I think it was you, asking the VMCC).

On mine, a previous numpty binned all the paperwork AND the plate, then couldn't assemble the gearbox properly before moving on.

My guess would be that the bike was used on the road in the 70's and/or 80's so will be on the DVLA comp.

So I would say that any DVLA VIN check will throw up the correct 'H' suffix registration number. Suggested best course of action ........ anyone ?????

Regards

Sparks

Edited by sparks2

Lovely bike. Congratulations!

Supermotoscot, it looks like a mk2 from 1970 (the frame number should be between 1800 and 2505). The tank is a later one, yours should have one like the tank on sparks bike at the top of the thread. The air filter is the right one, it is just missing the cover.

I have got some colour codes somewhere, so I will have a look to see if I can find them.

The 25 looks great, I would love to get one for my youngest, but I am not aware of a dedicated 25 forum.

Chris ..... Thanks for your comment.

Supermotoscot ....... I cannot add further to Chris's reply.

Regards

Sparks

Chris

Thanks for advice. Frame number is 21M 18xx.

Need to look for a tank now - any bright ideas on this anyone!

Would be great if you could get me the colour codes as 2 off Cota 25 tanks currently being prepared for painting.

Donnie

Banned !! ........ Banned !!!!! ............ Reminds me of the time I was banned from.................. The Computer Club,

a personal tragedy at the time but I got over it.

Yes, you should get on with yours, they are a good little bike, I could say almost better in some respects than another well known

Spanish brand begining with B.

Don't forget we are not a million mies away from the 50th anniversary of the Cota's introduction.

Q1. Yes, weld a bracket to the lower frame and modify a Bultaco/generic tensioner.

Q2. Student.

A question the other way.

Jon, did you recover your reg number? --- ( I think it was you, asking the VMCC).

On mine, a previous numpty binned all the paperwork AND the plate, then couldn't assemble the gearbox properly before moving on.

My guess would be that the bike was used on the road in the 70's and/or 80's so will be on the DVLA comp.

So I would say that any DVLA VIN check will throw up the correct 'H' suffix registration number. Suggested best course of action ........ anyone ?????

Regards

Sparks

I was joking ! I'm often "with wine" when I'm on here.... Very nice looking bike.Mine is still in bits,and I must confess I've yet to get onto the VMCC to try to get the number back,I always seem so busy,my P65 bikes have sort of taken over and soon I'll have to get back into trials sec mode and organise our events for 2013.

The chain tensioner is a good addition according to everything I've read about early Monts,not hard to do either I guess.One of the few mods I intend doing on mine,its so original I think it would be a shame to alter it too much.

Lucky bloke having a Colchester Student - I did my apprenticeship time on one and last year I bought an almost unused one with lots of extras.Paid a fair sum for it,but what a nice bit of kit to have......

Just need more time in the workshop with no interruptions. ;)

• 6 months later...

After alot of thought I've decided to cut down my collection of bikes to concentrate on my 2 main Pre unit bikes.(My HT5 is getting a full rebuild)So this being the case I will be selling my two early 247's. One is a complete bike with matching numbers - 21m 1241, needing full restoration,but has all the early features,big hubs and steel triple trees etc. The second bike runs and is pretty much complete,but slightly later with the small hubs etc.There is also a complete bottom end of a motor to go along with it.

I thought it better to mention it on here amongst other Cota owners before I put it on Wobbly Wills etc or Ebay. I dont really want to split them,if you are interested please PM me for more details.