Trials Bike Apocalypse

ham2

50 members have voted

1. 1. Run-away engine revs, how would you stop it?

• Turn off the fuel ?
    • Stuff the exhaust ?
    • Pull the HT lead ?
    • Engage top gear/brakes on/ feed out clutch ?
    • Tip the bike on it's side ?
    • Other ?

Some people worry about things that may never happen; catastrophic global warming, asteroid strikes, zombie uprising etc. but I can't help thinking about the dropped bike scenario where the engine tries to rev itself to death :o .

A few recent posts have touched on the subject, citing dead-man's cut outs and the like but I've seen a few 2-stroke motors completely ignore the kill-switch on their way to death row.

Never mind 'What would Jesus do?'

What would TC members do?

Please vote and discuss, any real life experiences or remedies could affect my sleep patterns :huh::-

Some people worry about things that may never happen; catastrophic global warming, asteroid strikes, zombie uprising etc. but I can't help thinking about the dropped bike scenario where the engine tries to rev itself to death :o .

A few recent posts have touched on the subject, citing dead-man's cut outs and the like but I've seen a few 2-stroke motors completely ignore the kill-switch on their way to death row.

Never mind 'What would Jesus do?'

What would TC members do?

Please vote and discuss, any real life experiences or remedies could affect my sleep patterns :huh::-

Hi block the exhaust, pulling the ht lead will not stop it and can damage the cdi,Turning off the fuel will cause a weak mixture and could result in a engine failure, top gear and brake could work if still on the bike but could be hard to change up to top gear with engine flat out .Best combo is kill switch with blocked exhaust.
  • Like 1

hard to do but dont panic you have at least 15 seconds before its going to go bang.

vitually every bike has a domino throttle just rip the cable and the top comes off releasing the cable. that will be enough most of the time unless the slide is jammed. this happened once on a kx 125 and we turned fuel off and put the choke on then used rear brake / clutch

• Like 1

beat me to it........rip the throttle cable off, dont nancy about with it, really go for it, then let go (obviously) might need a new cable but its cheaper than Nicosil. :hyper:

back in the 1980's i saw a Yamaha tz700 sidecar engine explode early one cold spring morning at Cadwell Park, would you believe the two stroke oil emulsified with the damp morning air, driver gives it a rev, slides stuck full open, YYYIIIINNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG.... BWARRRPPPPPPP! silence, then lots of swearing. Bloody good job he wasn't riding it! (actually even better i wasn't fixing it !! )

Edited by paul w

Well I thought I had it covered with a lanyard kill switch. when I fall off the bike is already switching off on its way to the ground. I have pulled the cord when the throttle is stuck open & the bike has stopped but I guess I have just been lucky reading this post.

I like the sound of blocking the exhaust.

The lanyard magnetic kill switches ain't foolproof. Despite being mandated by the FIM for the world championship, Jake came pretty close to being killed at a world round by a flying bike (either Brownie's or Wiggy's) where the magnetic kill switch didn't...

in that video the first mistake, picking bike up, second mistake looking around for something to pull when the rear brake lever is readily available and the bike was in gear. push down on rear brake and engine stalls.

I would first try to put the rear brake on if bike is in gear, then stuff the exhaust if that did not work.

OR

if you desire a new bike, just let it go into catastrophic failure. sell it dirt cheap as a parts bike and then buy a brand new fancy pretty bike!!!! (oh this usually only works for the single guys out there. Us married blokes scramble to save that 15 yr old bike, because we know if it dies we have nothing to ride for the next 3 yrs)