Trials Bike Apocalypse

ham2

50 members have voted

1. 1. Run-away engine revs, how would you stop it?

• Turn off the fuel ?
    • Stuff the exhaust ?
    • Pull the HT lead ?
    • Engage top gear/brakes on/ feed out clutch ?
    • Tip the bike on it's side ?
    • Other ?

in that video the first mistake, picking bike up, second mistake looking around for something to pull when the rear brake lever is readily available and the bike was in gear. push down on rear brake and engine stalls.

I would first try to put the rear brake on if bike is in gear, then stuff the exhaust if that did not work.

OR

if you desire a new bike, just let it go into catastrophic failure. sell it dirt cheap as a parts bike and then buy a brand new fancy pretty bike!!!! (oh this usually only works for the single guys out there. Us married blokes scramble to save that 15 yr old bike, because we know if it dies we have nothing to ride for the next 3 yrs)

Agreed!

Turn the fuel off and stuff exhaust. Anything to do with the tires spinning or causing a fuel spill is just insane if you have ever see this happen. I`ve seen five grown men try to wrestle it down to instant fires to a broken leg by the rear tire!

What about those bar end thingy`s that stop yourbar from digging inor getting stuck on ?

It sounds silly as its never happened to me but.. I this caused when you drop the bike and it lands on throttle grip and holds it open?

You can still get obtructing crud in the twist grip, or as others have pointed out the throttle slide might have jammed (for whatever reason) in the carb' or even...if you're a cack-handed spotter like me; trying to grab your mate's bike as it reverses back down a step/obstacle...and as you grab the bars, you grab the throttle cable by mistake :dunce:

I've saved someones sherco that was going off on one in a big way by blocking the exhaust with my glove.

Saved my bike the same way.

Blocking the exhaust and using the kill switch as the revs fall definitely works, also you can apply this method at arms length :hyper:

Reasons for it happening are numerous from a simple stuck throttle to air leaks to gawd knows what else!!

I've saved someones sherco that was going off on one in a big way by blocking the exhaust with my glove.

Saved my bike the same way.

Blocking the exhaust and using the kill switch as the revs fall definitely works, also you can apply this method at arms length :hyper:

Reasons for it happening are numerous from a simple stuck throttle to air leaks to gawd knows what else!!

Gawd knows what else = a day of riding with Team WGASA :dunce:

Providing you are wearing your gloves, you can stop a 2t trials bike by simply blockingthe exhaust end pipe. Works inseconds.

I've never tried it on a 4t bike or an enduro/mx bike.

Pete

a 4t bike with a heavy springed flatside and a 'two cable' throttle would not rev out like that (i hope ;-].....)

my gasser has done this when the other end of the throttle cable gets popped out of the carb top, so cable adjustment is helpful.............

hard to do but dont panic you have at least 15 seconds before its going to go bang.

vitually every bike has a domino throttle just rip the cable and the top comes off releasing the cable. that will be enough most of the time unless the slide is jammed. this happened once on a kx 125 and we turned fuel off and put the choke on then used rear brake / clutch

+1

Came across this 2 times and everytime ripping the throttle cable out did the trick

There was this one time in 1983 when I used my arm to stall my buddies bike......(We were wiping out together at the time...)

I can't reccomend anyone do that unless you enjoy surgery, it ended poorly for me and I have a deep sensitivity for for spinning wheels and sprockets and stuff now

I'm kinda liking the idea of a tether switch

This one is the best I have seen, all you need to do is run away from your bike

http://sourceinnovations.ca/